Sinkster

Democrats Face 25+ Years Out of Power (Reuters)

That's at least 25 years.

You won't last 25 years spending the way you are today.

t

You know, you're right. I have to stop treating myself to so many $5.50 DVDs on those late-night trips to Walmart! :P I just can't keep on like this!

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I think it's time that party took a long look at itself and changed its direction.

If the Republicans win a supermajority in '06, look out!

:P

The mind boggles...:S

But I think 2006 will result in the House and Senate coming more towards the center (I don't know how many Senate seats will be up in 2006), as in 1994, when they shifted to the right.

That could possibly happen as well, Mark. I think it highly dependent on both which senators are up for reelection and how the national/local parties react to the election.
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

It doesn't matter to me which party has a complete stronghold on government, the scary part is that a stronghold on government reduces us to virtually a one party system instead of having at least some degree of checks. It is bad enough that there are only 2 parties now.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Here is a breakdown of who is up for re-election for the Senate in 2006:

Democrats
Akaka, Daniel
Bingaman, Jeff
Byrd, Robert
Cantwell, Maria
Carper, Thomas
Clinton, Hillary
Conrad, Kent
Corzine, Jon
Dayton, Mark
Feinstein, Dianne
Kennedy, Edward
Kohl, Herb
Lieberman, Joseph
Nelson, Ben
Nelson, Bill
Sarbanes, Paul
Stabenow, Debbie

Republicans
Allen, George
Burns, Conrad
Chafee, Lincoln
DeWine, Mike
Ensign, John
Frist, Bill
Hatch, Orrin
Hutchison, Kay
Kyl, Jon
Lott, Trent
Lugar, Richard
Santorum, Rick
Snowe, Olympia
Talent, James
Thomas, Craig

Independents
Jeffords, James
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The mind boggles...:S

But I think 2006 will result in the House and Senate coming more towards the center (I don't know how many Senate seats will be up in 2006), as in 1994, when they shifted to the right.

You think the Senate has shifted to the right??? I think 1994 was a good start because it slowed down the skid to the left, but IMO I would hardly call the Senate even in the center. I just think they lean a little less to the left than they used to. My hope is we can actually lean a little to the right eventually. I'd be happy with that.

This is a certainty if their continued response to their loss is to call the folks who voted for Bush stupid. Something I keep hearing.

I mean they used to limit the name calling to the candidate (and Bush while inarticulate is no dummy), when you start calling the electorate stupid you've wandered off the reservation. You don't change someone's mind by derriding them, you just isolate yourself.

The party still doesn't get why they lost and are playing up the values thing because it fits their view of the 'idiots' who voted for Bush. They believe their own hype saying Bush F*cked up the economy, the war in Iraq is a disaster etc. Many who voted for Bush interpret the facts differently and so just don't agree on the substance. Blaming a single issue is as usual an over simplification.

Radicalizing your base might have felt good in the short term but after a while the only folks listening to the sermon are in the chior.

From Reuters: "The Democrats are going to have to get used to permanent minority status for a generation or two," said Tom Schaller, a political scientist at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County."

The Article

I mean they used to limit the name calling to the candidate (and Bush while inarticulate is no dummy), when you start calling the electorate stupid you've wandered off the reservation. You don't change someone's mind by derriding them, you just isolate yourself.

Don't even try to claim that's partisan. There are also the constant cries of "liberal idiots" coming from the right.

Radicalizing your base might have felt good in the short term but after a while the only folks listening to the sermon are in the chior.

That's kind of like "reaching out to those who share your goals." That's not really reaching out, now is it?

Well, here's a limey view - Firstly, I agree that it's a dodgy tactic to keep calling Bush supporters stupid. I'm well aware that name-calling applies to both sides, but the balance of power is now with the 'stupids'.

However, I don't think it'll be long before some of those supporters begin to feel like victims. The defecit can't be ignored, and it'll hit the poor first. Tax cuts won't help, and it's hard to see how they could even be considered if Bush carries on spending (so much for small government, but that's another story).

Also, many will feel that they've been conned. The whole world could see what a vicious campaign this was, and the Republicans gave up on talking policy months ago. Whatever your beliefs, God won't save them when the money dries up, and they'll have to provide some answers.

All of this looks strangely familiar to me. As you know (or not, hey, we're 'somewhere else') we (not me) shamed ourselves by electing Margaret Thatcher three times over. She went on a mission to destroy and denigrate everything good about our country and our culture, and eventually paid the price.

Anyway, it's easier to find a Bush supporter in Britain now than it is to find someone who'll admit to ever voting for her. More pertinently, the conservative party is now a running joke, without a hope of power (that's why Blair's not been kicked into touch). People don't forget, and they eventually get even.

So, the Democrats may well fumble around for a few years. They may even consider choosing the wrong candidate again, although you could forgive them for thinking that a tree would be enough to beat the incumbent. Personally, though, I think it's more likely that this administration will fall apart, and do long-term damage to the prospects of the Republicans. I don't think that their rump of support will disappear, but that won't be enough to win elections.

We shall see.

Don't even try to claim that's partisan. There are also the constant cries of "liberal idiots" coming from the right.

That's kind of like "reaching out to those who share your goals." That's not really reaching out, now is it?

It's called winning an election. Your comment is a complete non sequitur but let's run with it. I don't recall anyone mentioning reaching out when Clinton won, but for the record Bush has tried this IMHO with folks like Ted Kennedy on education. He may do it again but his policies have been so mischaracterized and slandered there's not much common ground left. One thing's for sure, there's no reaching out to many of the left because they believe the Moore propaganda that's demonstrably false. That's what I mean by radicalizing your base.

As for name calling, I do see it as partisan, it's palpable I've seen & heard the constant accusations from folks on the left that Bush is an idiot (despite strong evidence to the contrary), and nothing similar about Kerry from anyone. Now I'm hearing it about anyone who voted for Bush, I don't recall hearing anyone in the mainstream characterize the entire electorate on the left as stupid. What I do see is the "elites" label applied to the left from the right. A response no doubt to accusations of stupidity and bigotry. There is a sense on the right that folks on the left see themselves as intellectually superior and I think it is more than merely perception by the right, if you were honest you'd admit that. It's why we have a lot of this distain for this "dumb Bush cowboy". You pretending it's the same on both sides of the aisle doesn't change the reality.

Yep, that's not just a limey perspective. It's pretty much the perspective of most of us who were against Bush and willing to vote for someone too far to the left instead. Your predictions are what we see as coming to pass as well. The hope was that negating the all right wing executive and legislature that we could stop the momentum toward the extreme right and eventual backlash.

No, it's not the end of the world that Bush won. But it's going to be painful to correct what will be the eventual problems that will manifest.

So you never heard of "sKerry" huh?

Is he any relation to Flipper? Or Herman Munster?

Blues,
Dave

This is where your judgement is unfortunately clouded. There were many names called, but I'm specifically referring to seriously intended accusations of stupidity.

Calling a candidate flipper because he flips on policy or mocking his appearance because he's vain enough to get Botox injections (or some other procedure that radically altered his face) is not even in the same league as repeatedly calling Bush stupid for 4 years, let alone calling everyone who voted for him dumb.

Trust me on this guys, calling half the electorate stupid ain't gonna work for you, even if you're displeased that they called your cartwheeling candidate a flip-flopper. At some point the facts play a role and people don't like being insulted because they didn't do what you wanted them to do.

Calling over half the voters stupid is just amazing, they wouldn't elect the guy who took both sides of every issue and griped constantly about how bad things were and you call them dumb because you hate Bush and believe Moore's propaganda. Great job, hearts & minds, hearts & minds!

From Reuters: "The Democrats are going to have to get used to permanent minority status for a generation or two," said Tom Schaller, a political scientist at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County."

Of course, it was only 12 years ago that the Democrats were oh so close to having the white house and 60 members in the Senate. It can quickly turn, as it did only 2 years later.