tunaplanet

2004 Presidential Election Thread

America has spoken and said that about half of us didn't want him in the office.

There has always been 1/2 (well, mostly, there are some obvious exceptions) of the country "against" a president.

The biggest point is that OVER 1/2 of the country did NOT want Kerry as their president. That's a bigger mandate then less than half against.

Beyond the actual presidental votes, then increasing of the size of the republican side of the house and senate are also considered mandates from the American people.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'll give the "mandate" title to the areas of the country that were over a 10% split. THAT'S a mandate (actually that's the definition of a landslide in political terms). So, yes, GWB got a mandate from a number of states, but if that is true, then look at the results in California.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

then look at the results in California.

Those of use actually based in reality tend to ignore the fruits and nuts in California. Sort of like how most Texans ignore folks in Austin.

:P

Anyways, I still feel like you're ignorning the fact that OVER 1/2 of the voting population voted AGAINST Kerry.

Sorry you lost guy, better luck next time, although if both houses of congress stays similar to it is now, then it won't really matter.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No matter what side you are on, let's move on and get the country moving forward TOGETHER!!

Couldn't agree more. I'm really impressed with what Kerry did. It was the right thing to do for the country. The nation is already divided and a lot of healing has to take place.

Um, they did win the White House, so thank you for being in agreement with me.

I'm not agreeing with you, don't let the facts get in the way. I'm willing to help bridge the gap, are you?

I gave credit to Kerry, you won't give credit to anyone with different views.

Deal with it my friend!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

but that's a little like saying that a loaf of bread cost more now than at any time in history.

Apples and oranges in this case. Go do some homework like I did. You'll see there are indeed more people in the US (obviously) compared to 2000 but not by much if you want to put it in perspective.

Regardless on how the DNC manual tells you to spin that issue you can't spin this...he's the first president since 88 to win the popular majority.

He beat your man by roughly 3.5 million votes. Pretty decisive.

Forty-two

What fear does he have? He will push the PA Pt2 thru, and he has a majority to help it get approved

The HoR is up for re-election in less than 2 years, a thrid of the Senate is up re-election in less than 2 years... those up for re-election are already thinking about it, and thatshould keep the PAII from going overboard... There is a reason the sunset provisions were put in, everyone knew it was a kneejerk reaction to 9/11.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

GWB did NOT beat anyone. Karl Rove did.

Interesting opinion.

Like all election campaigns it's a team effort. However the vast majority of the reason Bush won is because of Bush himself. You can tell yourself that Rove won it for him every night before you go to sleep for the next four years but it doesn't make it true.

Forty-two

He beat your man by roughly 3.5 million votes. Pretty decisive.

3.5 out of 115 million? That is decisive? Regan's victory was decisive.

There are not many more people in this country? Huh? As compared to last week, yes....but from 1968 or 1944? Yup, a lot more. Since you did the homework - post your research numbers, links and all other emperical data you used to come up with this conclusion.

Yes, it's a team effort.

Karl ran a -very- good campaign . . .

He crafted GWB in the image of a guy that's tough on defense (which isn't too much of a stretch, he IS tough (yet misguided)) and a "moral" leader (which is a HUGE freekin' stretch based on GWB's early years).

Further, Karl was able to coordinate a number of 527s while maintaining plausable deniability.

Karl is a brilliant political strategist. (Evil, yet still brilliant.)

I congratulate him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Post some facts to that when get a chance.

This coming from a person that claims he did his homework and has seen numbers, but won't present that information when asked.

If the republicans just won the White House I'd have to agree with you

Um, they did win the White House, so thank you for being in agreement with me.

Popular vote shows half the country didn't wan't Bush in there. Deal with that.

He meant "if they had only won the whitehouse." He was trying to point out that the Republicans also extended their majorities in both the House and the Senate. In just about every seriously contested race, Republicans came out on top.

While I don't think that's best, that is America speaking.

Oh, and as for your "half don't want Bush" line - let it go. Less than half didn't want him. More than half did want him. There were record turnouts in numbers and precentages, and Bush spanked Kerry and good.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*