kallend

Bush gives a lesson in civics

What i think is left out is how staged all these rallies are on both sides.

On CNN the other day there was a black man talking about how used he felt at a Kerry rally. He was picked out of the crowd as well as a spanish person and a few other minorities. They were asked to stand up on the stage behind Kerry during the rally.

Why?

To show kerry is supportive of minorities.... Staged, all of these things are staged. So, when something is going to be aired on TV, do you want someone who is going to be "POTENTIALLY" disruptive? Would you want BAD press?

No, so they were asked to leave.
No BFD

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

> I still don't see how you can make the assumption that someone wearing
> a shirt that says "Protect Our Civil Liberties" is potentially disruptive
> unless you believe that statement is a contradiction of what the
>candidate stands for.

?? I would expect that someone with a T-shirt that said "I believe in life!" might disrupt a women's rights rally. Doesn't mean the women prefer death (unless you have someone who stands to profit by claiming they do, of course.)

Kevin, are you really going to argue my choice of words?

They campaing wanted notoriety, they wanted attention, they wanted media coverage. This is all commonly referred to as publicity. Devils and Flyers games aren't public, but they are covered by the media.

publicity is inherently an invitation to the public. If they want it private and restricted, keep it that way. If they want to use it to publicly campaign, then the public should be permitted no matter what their shirt says.

It is an invitation to pay attention. It is a way of disseminating controlled information. Be realistic.

pub·lic·i·ty
1. a. Information that concerns a person, group, event, or product and that is disseminated through various media to attract public notice.
b. Public interest, notice, or notoriety achieved by the spreading of such information.
c. The act, process, or occupation of disseminating information to gain public interest.

2. the quality or state of being open to the knowledge of a community; notoriety; publicness.

3. a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea or person or institution

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yes, because the phrase "I believe in life" has a direct correlation to an opposign political movement.

I just find it very curious that "Protect Our Civil Liberties" seems to be instantly attributable to a political movement that opposes Bush.

I'm not saying that you can't reasonably assume that shirt indicates they're probably not his biggest fans. I just think it's pretty sad that we have a president where you CAN reasonably assume someone with that phrase on their shirt opposes his policies.

I find it interesting that so many people are defending these actions. I can understand you defending them throwing someone out that is being disruptive. But the bottom line is they did nothing but wear a shirt that said "Protect Our Civil Liberties"

It's very telling that so many people here, including the Bush supporters, associate the phrase "Protect Our Civil Liberties" with someone opposed to the President. Are you telling us that he does not share that sentiment?

I mean, I already feel that way, but it's suprising to hear the Bush supporters stating the same thing, and still supporting him.

Kev, I can't tell which of the "you's" above refer to me, or generic people, so I'm not sure what questions you're asking. You are quite wrong to classify me as a Bush supporter if you did intend to do so.

I have no legal objection to the ladies being tossed; I just think it was playing into their hands. And on the greater subject, the Clinton Administration's record on civil liberties was poor and it's not hard to see the same abuses coming with a Gore Administration, lead by noted "rights activists" like Diane Feinstein in Congress.

I just find it very curious that "Protect Our Civil Liberties" seems to be instantly attributable to a political movement that opposes Bush.

The insinuation by the ladies is that Bush, in the actions he's supported via the Patriot Act, is somehow opposed to civil liberites.

He isn't, and the ladies had no right to propogate the idea that he is at a private event.

. . =(_8^(1)

The insinuation by the ladies is that Bush, in the actions he's supported via the Patriot Act, is somehow opposed to civil liberites.

He isn't, and the ladies had no right to propogate the idea that he is at a private event.

How do you get that idea? If they wore tee shirts saying "Protect our Unborn Children", would you instantly assume that they were insinuating that Bush is in favor of abortion? If they wore "Protect the 2nd Amendment" would you assume they were insinuating that Bush is in favor of gun control?

Of course you wouldn't. This action on the part of the GOP is a clear statement that they know Bush is weak on civil liberties.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This action on the part of the GOP is a clear statement that they know Bush is weak on civil liberties.

I'll just restate my opinion that the action on the part of the ladies is a clear statement that they think Bush is weak on civil liberties.

. . =(_8^(1)

So far I don't see any mention of what might have been on the backs of those shirts. Somehow we all tend to beleive what we read and take it to heart as the "truth". I'm positive there's more to this story than what was printed. Lessee, we've got "teachers" who everyone knows are above reproach ;) and people saying that things are "obscene" which is a great trigger word. I thinks we're being worked here. The source is a website called The Bend. WHat is it that they are bending?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

So far I don't see any mention of what might have been on the backs of those shirts. Somehow we all tend to beleive what we read and take it to heart as the "truth". I'm positive there's more to this story than what was printed. Lessee, we've got "teachers" who everyone knows are above reproach ;) and people saying that things are "obscene" which is a great trigger word. I thinks we're being worked here. The source is a website called The Bend. WHat is it that they are bending?

It was on AP too. And NPR.

Giving tickets and arresting protesters, who clearly are not breaking any law, shows the kind of determination the federal government has in controlling information on any and all levels.
The Federal government is out of control. They have a hand in every aspect of your life. If you believe that you are free to do as you want as long as it does not affect others you are wrong. Just the thought of wearing a t-shirt that the government does not agree with can get a person in trouble is troubling in it self.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

This action on the part of the GOP is a clear statement that they know Bush is weak on civil liberties.

I'll just restate my opinion that the action on the part of the ladies is a clear statement that they think Bush is weak on civil liberties.

I'll restate mine, that if they wore tee shirts saying "Protect the Unborn" it would NOT be taken as a statement that they think Bush is weak on abortion.

Any party that thinks protecting civil liberties is an "obscene" concept has a serious problem.

Why do you not think it's a clear statement that they support Bush because he will protect their civil liberties? They're at a Bush rally, why don't you make the assumption that they were wearing those shirts in support of him?

Hint - because you know that he is weak on civil liberties and just don't want to admit it.

Tracey Schmitt, a Bush campaign spokeswoman, said no one on the campaign staff "can remember the incident or understand why they would have been removed unless there was reason to believe that they were disruptive or were planning to be disruptive.''
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2004/10/19/news/the_west/tuewst02.txt

I guess it comes down to who do you beleive. Isn't it convenient that they just happen to have a picture of themselves.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne