TypicalFish

Cheney's Lesbian Daughter...

In answer to a direct question about homosexuality:

Kerry: "We're all God's children. I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as."

In answer to a direct question from Cokie Roberts about her openly gay daughter in an interview in 2000, Lynne Cheney said "My daughter has never declared such a thing."

Lynne Cheney apparently has a problem accepting her daughter's sexuality. Perhaps that's why she's so "indignant" now at mention of it.

Dick Cheney has one of the most anti-gay voting records of any current or former congressman.

Sounds more like an "it's none of your damned business" kind of remark. This illustrates the problem here, we have a woman who never asked for her sexuality to be discussed nationally and everything is cynically interpreted through a prism of supposed prejudice. How the hell do you know what relationship she has with her Mother? Pure speculation and colored by what you hope and imagine to be there. It's your demons speaking not Cheney's.

Lynne Cheney saying "My daughter has never declared such a thing" is on the record, after her daughter HAD declared such a thing. It's called "denial".

Is this like Dick Cherney saying he had never meet Edwards when the record showed he had met him several times?

Is this like Bush denying that he'd said Osama bin Laden was not a priority when the record shows that he had said that?

Why do I have "demons" for pointing out Bush/Cheney hypocrisy?

*** "The few people reading these posts who have brain cells firing know what I mean."

How typical of your arguments. "If you don't agree with me, you are stupid, unintelligent, or a moron".

As a clearly marginalized person, you should be keenly aware that marginalizing others does not make their opinions worth any less than yours. I don't think is was a particularly evil that Kerry mentioned the Cheney girl, but he obviously mentioned it for reasons other than she happend to be gay. Kerry hoped to gain political advantage from it, so any politcal backlash that can be garnered by his opponents is equallly fair game.

The same would be true if Bush mentioned that Kerry and his wife manage to pay a tax rate below that of someone who earned $15K a year, despite their $6 million income. If Bush mentioned it, and Kerry could figure a way to spin it to his advantage (like use it to demonstrate why the rich should pay more taxes), that is how the game is played.

In answer to a direct question about homosexuality:

Kerry: "We're all God's children. I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as."

In answer to a direct question from Cokie Roberts about her openly gay daughter in an interview in 2000, Lynne Cheney said "My daughter has never declared such a thing."

Lynne Cheney apparently has a problem accepting her daughter's sexuality. Perhaps that's why she's so "indignant" now at mention of it.

Dick Cheney has one of the most anti-gay voting records of any current or former congressman.

Sounds more like an "it's none of your damned business" kind of remark. This illustrates the problem here, we have a woman who never asked for her sexuality to be discussed nationally and everything is cynically interpreted through a prism of supposed prejudice. How the hell do you know what relationship she has with her Mother? Pure speculation and colored by what you hope and imagine to be there. It's your demons speaking not Cheney's.

Lynne Cheney saying "My daughter has never declared such a thing" is on the record, after her daughter HAD declared such a thing. It's called "denial".

Is this like Dick Cherney saying he had never meet Edwards when the record showed he had met him several times?

Is this like Bush denying that he'd said Osama bin Laden was not a priority when the record shows that he had said that?

Why do I have "demons" for pointing out Bush/Cheney hypocrisy?

Dude, that's your interpretation, you're seeing and supposing things that aren't there. It seems pretty obvious but then I'm observing you from the outside, not the inside. You take one remark that's open to interpretation, (I have offered mine) and spin it into the most conveniently damning portrayal of someone you loathe.

You then assume it's some kind of objective truth as if this has nothing to do with the observer. Your assumptions on this are rooted in your beliefs, that's why it's your demons speaking. You just don't know what the Cheney family relationships are, they seem pretty supportive and protective of their daughter IMHO.

Dude, that's your interpretation, you're seeing and supposing things that aren't there.

Fine. I'm waiting to hear your interpretation of Lynne Cheney's on-the-record statement denying her daughter's declaration of homosexuality.

I'm waiting to hear your interpretation of Dick Cheney's anti-gay voting record as a congressman.

Cheney's voting record is not the issue here, although it is the issue that clouds your judgement on the issue. Of course his voting record would have been a valid campaign issue, but that's not what Kerry or Edwards chose to tackle.

I've already explained what I think of the mother's comments.

P.S. it comes down to you trying to deconstruct a private family relationship while inserting your pejudice that is in essence none of your damned business.

>Can I spank Keith, since he is being a naughty boy???

You can spank whoever you want, Keely. (90%? right.)

Actually, it's more like 40% this week... I am feeling bitchy.

Sunshine wants me to spank her... Now I just need Keith's permission too, but he might not let me since I'm a girl.

Can I, Keith? Please??? Pretty please, with sugar on top??? I promise to be gentle. >:(

Hmm, and I wouldn't mind spanking Cheney's lesbian daughter too......

Moderator:Senator Kerry, Do you think drug addicts are born that way?

Sen. Kerry:"If you were to talk to Jeb Bush's daughter, who is a crackhead, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as."

I guess this anology works if you think of being a lesbian of the same moral value as being a crackhead...[:/]
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

How typical of your arguments. "If you don't agree with me, you are stupid, unintelligent, or a moron".

You put quote marks around that sentence as if you were quoting me, but I never said it or anything like it.

Here's what I would gladly say instead:

"If you don't agree with me on a factual matter, and you have no reasoning or evidence for your position but I do have those things, then you're stupid, unintelligent, or a moron."

First Class Citizen Twice Over

By the way, I see this exact pattern around here a lot. Especially among the anti-gay types!

Here's the technique: They make a strong claim and justify it based on evidence or reasoning (i.e.: "Gay people are bad because they all {x}"). When someone with more information shows that gay people do NOT all {x}, they come up with some new faulty justification. When all of the lousy justifications are shown to be bullshit, they stubbornly stand by their now-discredited conclusion anyway.

And that's what I find moronic: Loyalty to an untrue conclusion rather than loyalty to the truths which disprove the conclusion.

Calling a lesbian a lesbian is NOT an insult.

Maybe not if directly said to her it wouldn't be... But Kerry in Dick Cheney's face saying "ha ha, your daughter is a lesbian" might not warrant a great response. And, if parents aren't proud of their child, or ashamed in some way of them being a lesbian they would consider it to be an even worse comment.

Kerry did not in any way need to, or benefit by making that statement. It was a shot. He saw an in and he took it.

The ONLY people who are offended here are those who stand to gain by being offended. They are pretending.

Those who have a RIGHT to be offended aren't.

Sticking a feather up your ass does not make you a chicken.

I am trying to understand what you are suggesting and I believe I'm coming up short. It seems as if you are insinuating that one must be gay to have a right to comment on all things gay? Or maybe it's that one must be democratic to comment on all things democratic?

I have nothing to gain here, but I found Kerry's mention of Cheney's daughter offensive. Just as I would have found any mention of personal, off-task issues by either party an offensive act of passive-agressiveness.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

The ONLY people who are offended here are those who stand to gain by being offended. They are pretending.

Those who have a RIGHT to be offended aren't.

Sticking a feather up your ass does not make you a chicken.

I am trying to understand what you are suggesting and I believe I'm coming up short. It seems as if you are insinuating that one must be gay to have a right to comment on all things gay? Or maybe it's that one must be democratic to comment on all things democratic?

I think it's ridiculous to be offended on behalf of lesbians when lesbians themselves aren't offended.

Rhino (who I was responding to) made clear in his analogy that it's like black people being offended by white people using the word "nigger". If black people as a reasonably unified community declared that the word "nigger" was not offensive and they were perfectly happy with white people using it as an non-loaded label for the group, then that would be definitive.

It's also ridiculous to be offended on behalf of the Cheney family when one week earlier they were happily and openly talking about it themselves. They eagerly talked about it in public and didn't show outrage until (Gasp!) they realized it could play to their P.R. advantage to do so.

On your last supposition about being "democratic" I think you mean "Democrat". I am not Democrat. Don't lump me in with any of your silly granfaloons.

On your last supposition about being "democratic" I think you mean "Democrat". I am not Democrat. Don't lump me in with any of your silly granfaloons.

Though I disagree with your opinion of the Kerry comment, I respect your position. I do still believe the comment was unnecessary and that personal issues have about as much a place in political debates as the public did in Clinton's office when he took to a certain intern.

I do want to clarify, however, that I was not calling you a democrat. I was asking if your earlier statement meant that one must be a democrat to comment on things democratic. Basically, I was wondering what gives someone the right to be offended or have a comment.

It was only a question, not a label. Besides, *I* am a democrat and I don't find it offensive to be labeled one.

Off subject...What does granfaloons mean? I've never heard of that word?

EDIT to add: Perhaps you meant this..."One of the basic concepts of Bokononism, the secretive island religion of Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, is that of a granfalloon. A granfalloon is a recognized grouping of people that, underneath it all, has no real meaning. "

I think you're onto something there. And, I'd like to postulate that all labels....republican, democrat, black, white, straight, gay is simply a series of granfalloons.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Off subject...What does granfaloons mean? I've never heard of that word?

Kurt Vonnegut (1976) terms a "granfalloon," a proud and meaningless association of human beings. One of social psychology's most remarkable findings is the ease with which granfalloons can be created. For example, the social psychologist Henri Tajfel merely brought subjects into his lab, flipped a coin, and randomly assigned them to be labeled either Xs or Ws (Tajfel 1981; Turner 1987). At the end of the study, total strangers were acting as if those in their granfalloon were their close kin and those in the other group were their worst enemies.

Granfalloons are powerful propaganda devices because they are easy to create and, once established, the granfalloon defines social reality and maintains social identities. Information is dependent on the granfalloon. Since most granfalloons quickly develop outgroups, criticisms can be attributed to those "evil ones" outside the group, who are thus stifled. To maintain a desired social identity, such as that of a seeker or a New Age rebel, one must obey the dictates of the granfalloon and its leaders.

--------------

Cheney's voting record is not the issue here, although it is the issue that clouds your judgement on the issue. Of course his voting record would have been a valid campaign issue, but that's not what Kerry or Edwards chose to tackle.

I've already explained what I think of the mother's comments.

P.S. it comes down to you trying to deconstruct a private family relationship while inserting your pejudice that is in essence none of your damned business.

Since Dick Cheney, Lynne Cheney and Mary Cheney have all spoken about it in public and on radio or TV, how does it suddenly become a private matter?
No - the indignation is fabricated for political gain.

I don't have a "pejudice" either. I do have a "pairo'dice" though

Narcimund, I have no issues with homosexuality, you know that. And yet, I found it offensive as a comment as well as others.

I think, for me, the issue is simply that it's not any of Kerry's business, and the use of a person - by name - when the answer did not need that to be clear and complete rankles me. I think it crossed a line that shouldn't be crossed; if it were his daughter, would he have brought it up? Dunno the answer to that, but it's an interesting thing to consider.

Just more food for thought.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~