lewmonst

George, the question was about jobs, not education.

Kerry thinks he can create jobs. He is wrong, except for jobs working for the government directly, and they cost a whole lot more in taxes than the salary provided to the federal employee.

edit - what are you holding?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>edit - what are you holding?

You mean her camera helmet?

Ya, of course, I got it now. I thought it was a leg brace or something like that from when she was injured.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Kerry thinks he can create jobs. He is wrong, except for jobs working for the government directly, and they cost a whole lot more in taxes than the salary provided to the federal employee.

edit - what are you holding?

holding, you mean, in my avatar? - my camera helmet.

he didn't say he could create jobs, he said:

What I can promise you is that I will make the playing field as fair as possible, that I will, for instance, make certain that with respect to the tax system that you as a worker in America are not subsidizing the loss of your job.

Today, if you're an American business, you actually get a benefit for going overseas. You get to defer your taxes.

So if you're looking at a competitive world, you say to yourself, "Hey, I do better overseas than I do here in America."

That's not smart. I don't want American workers subsidizing the loss of their own job. And when I'm president, we're going to shut that loophole in a nanosecond and we're going to use that money to lower corporate tax rates in America for all corporations, 5 percent. And we're going to have a manufacturing jobs credit and a job hiring credit so we actually help people be able to hire here.

Nott that i'm trying to rehash the debate, just that there always more to the questions and the answers than is said. It's just not that simple...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

your bs no child left behind crap which obviously hasn't worked either.

How do you conclude that. I might agree that it is wasted money, but even Ted Kennedy was instrumental in getting it passed.

Now the Dems can only say that we are not spending enough! There is a limit to how fast a government program can spend money without it going down the drain even faster than usual.

In my opinion, the Dept. of Education should be abolished.

Many of you may be shocked by such a statement, but it did not exist when I went to high school (1980 grad). It is a fine example of massive federal waste. Schools in the worst neighborhoods are often the most expensive per student. Money is not the simple solution.

George, please answer the question about jobs and quit reiterating your bs no child left behind crap which obviously hasn't worked either.

peace
lew

As the President or any senior administrator, one must be able to see the big picture. In answer to the question about jobs, education is a very big part of that big picture. That is if one is considering progress and looking to the future. His answers showed competence in his job and foresight. I was VERY impressed with the President’s performance tonight. I thought it was the best of his debates. I think he came across as well prepared, factually knowledgeable, compassionate, honest, and most improved. I honestly think this will move him further ahead in the polls and win the votes of undecided voters. I still think this election will be close, however, on Election Day, I don’t think it will be as close as some are suggesting. Certainly not as close as the one in 2000.

the question was about jobs, not education

Because to republicans, the way for people to make a living for themselves is education, not more federal handouts. Yeah, like the gov't can "create" a free market job. Because republicans feel that the federal gov't's job is to ensure that every american has the opportunity to achieve, then get out of the way. Gov't doesn't and shouldn't (and can't) guarantee outcomes.

Very generally speaking, republicans appeal to those who want to work to make their own way, and democrats appeal to those waiting for gov't to give them something by taking it away from those who don't "deserve it".

To republicans, this free society is open for anyone to succeed who really wants to. Sure, some start at the bottom, and some have a head start, but everyone can make it as they see fit.

But to democrats, well, "hope/help is on the way." Just vote for us, sit back and we'll fix what ails you. Nice... Sounds like the american spirit to you???

In my opinion, the Dept. of Education should be abolished.

Yes, just one more part of the fed gov't which should be pushed back down to the states. Money has a better chance not to be wasted when it stays as close to the problem as possible. Not when it shoots to WashDC, has a chunk of it sucked out, and whatever's left over trickles back down.