peacefuljeffrey

I might not be so in favor of the death penalty...

I never had a desire to be there in the first place and didn't do anything that should warrant me being there. And that is my point, going back to the original topic of the death penalty. Sometimes innocent people are punished for things they didn't do. I got over my experience. It's hard to get over death.

>Probably not, and that my friend, is very much the point.

Unless you have a desire to end up in a nice jail cell but not a cruddy one, that's not much of a point. I'm all for spending as little money as possible on jails, but we also have a responsibility to treat even prisoners humanely - and that might mean giving them a blanket.

Hell, send ME to prison. Then the state will have to support my kids, and I get a free ride. Hell yea, thats it, I NEED a vacation.

After that rant, i'd like to see how you actually adjust there. My point was not that it SHOULD be a dayspa, but rather arguing that it is not (someone else was pretty much stating it was).

They are being punished, that's why they don't get to walk the streets, doing as they please, spending time playing sports with their kids, etc. Get over it. If you haven't been there, stop complaining that it is too nice. I've spent my entire life visiting prisons and associating with people in them, so I think I know a tad more than you do about the conditions there... and, like I said, they are not day spas.

Later.
Angela.

My stay in jail comprised of an 8x6 cell with 3 people in it and one wooden bench. I was fed nothing but stale white bread with one piece of government cheese. No blankets and had to lay on the grimy floor in my clothes.

Jail is not the same as prison. They don't sleep on benches for ## years. Jail is temporary, prison is semi-permanent to permanent. They are not THAT bad... but that doesn't mean that they are THAT good, either.

I think that being in prison without being able to read, exercise, move about, would drive someone to insanity. The hope in many cases is that after a prisoner has served his/her time, they will be able to be rehabilitated and return as a functional member of society. That probably wouldn't happen with someone who has had little to no interation with the outside world, has been isolated, treated cruely, etc.

Angela.

That's actually the fallacy of prisons. They don't rehabilitate people. They don't improve the person and make them more able to be a contributing part of society. It's a box to stick people in. It's a broken system and needs to be scrapped.

-R

My stay in jail comprised of an 8x6 cell with 3 people in it and one wooden bench. I was fed nothing but stale white bread with one piece of government cheese. No blankets and had to lay on the grimy floor in my clothes.

Jail is not the same as prison. They don't sleep on benches for ## years. Jail is temporary, prison is semi-permanent to permanent. They are not THAT bad... but that doesn't mean that they are THAT good, either.

I think that being in prison without being able to read, exercise, move about, would drive someone to insanity. The hope in many cases is that after a prisoner has served his/her time, they will be able to be rehabilitated and return as a functional member of society. That probably wouldn't happen with someone who has had little to no interation with the outside world, has been isolated, treated cruely, etc.

Angela.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Kev,

It is TERRIBLY unfortunate that innocents are punished, I do sincerely agree but, the VAST majority of people that are convicted are in fact guilty. Just as the vast majority of people that recieve a speeding ticket were in fact speeding.

This does NOT deminish the fact that if someone near and dear to me were unjustly punished, executed etc, that I myself would not think it unjust. I DO agree that mistakes are made but, sadly, that is the burden of the human race; we are not infallible.

If you think this justifies your position, so be it, becaues I feel that it justifies mine and, I am ready to agree to disagree on this subject.

That said, drunk as I am at this time, I am DONE with this topic.

Good nite.

Scott

But that aside, there is no requirement to be 100%accurate in spelling and grammar to post on these forums and by picking up on it, you come across as making a pretty desperate attempt to pull someone down, instead of doing the more credible, and creditworthy thing of backing down gracefully.

No, actually I let 99% of it slide. In fact, it is very rare for me to make an issue of someone's spelling errors or grammatical errors on these forums unless it is done to me first, or as a sarcastic crack (I did this the other night, in fact) or here because it was brought up.

I make a living being right about grammar, punctuation, spelling, and accurate typography. I think I do an admirable job of not picking on it here. These forums are such a target-rich environment, it'd be rather pointless. I don't make a habit of doing it "to take someone down."

I stand by what I say about it being relatively easy, barring disorders like dyslexia, to get things right. I see no reason to capitulate to those who claim that getting things wrong all the time is "no big deal, 'cause you knew what I meant." See the grammar thread for details.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Listen Scott. Quit trying to hijack this thread.

You failed to capitalise "TV"
You placed no punctuation between etc two and three.
Your repeated use of etc is redundant.
You failed to capitalise Middle Eastern.
You spelt "murderer" incorrectly.
You spelt "dispense" incorrectly.
Your final two sentences are incomplete.

Hey, pretty good...Can I start posting my papers for school so you guys can edit them for me?

It would save me tons of work.
;)

Tonto seems to think that he can make fun of someone's grammar as a means of making fun of ME and yet somehow not be acting in a juvenile manner. :S

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Hell, send ME to prison. Then the state will have to support my kids, and I get a free ride. Hell yea, thats it, I NEED a vacation.

After that rant, i'd like to see how you actually adjust there. My point was not that it SHOULD be a dayspa, but rather arguing that it is not (someone else was pretty much stating it was).

They are being punished, that's why they don't get to walk the streets, doing as they please, spending time playing sports with their kids, etc. Get over it. If you haven't been there, stop complaining that it is too nice. I've spent my entire life visiting prisons and associating with people in them, so I think I know a tad more than you do about the conditions there... and, like I said, they are not day spas.

Later.
Angela.

:o
Well, this comes as a surprise to me, from having met you.
I can't even guess why you might have had such encounters with the prison system, and if you want share, fine, but I'd understand if you kept private about it. That's not to say I'm not curious.

Anyway, I think the point some are trying to make here (and if not, at least it is my point) is that apart from making sure that prisoners have the necessities, there is NO POINT in seeing to it that they have anything beyond that -- NOTHING to make life "bearable," "pleasant," "enjoyable." Television and radio and music? FUCK no. It's PRISON. You don't wanna be stuck without your Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, don't do the crime. But what is the point of sending someone to prison, which we all acknowledge is "punishment," and then giving prisoners things that are supposed to mitigate how much prison life sucks?! If we really wanted life to not suck for them, we'd fuckin' let them OUT! Life sucking is the whole POINT of putting them in prison.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Well, you'll be happy to know that they don't.

I'd like to know whether your line of comment here is meant to indicate that you think we should make prison pleasant for all who are there, just in case some innocents are caught up in the system and they are in prison but do not belong there, as you did not.

If that is the case, I disagree.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

No, actually I let 99% of it slide. In fact, it is very rare for me to make an issue of someone's spelling errors or grammatical errors on these forums unless it is done to me first, or as a sarcastic crack (I did this the other night, in fact) or here because it was brought up.

Yeah, I've noticed that you only bring the subject up when you haven't got any other ammunition to make the other person look bad. :)

I make a living being right about grammar, punctuation, spelling, and accurate typography. I think I do an admirable job of not picking on it here. These forums are such a target-rich environment, it'd be rather pointless. I don't make a habit of doing it "to take someone down."

An admirable job of not picking on it??? You think you deserve credit for not making trivial points??? And no, you don't make a 'habit' of it, you only do it when there's no other ammunition.

I stand by what I say about it being relatively easy, barring disorders like dyslexia, to get things right. I see no reason to capitulate to those who claim that getting things wrong all the time is "no big deal, 'cause you knew what I meant." See the grammar thread for details.

Easy for you, maybe, but that's how you make your living!!!!
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Well, you'll be happy to know that they don't.

I'd like to know whether your line of comment here is meant to indicate that you think we should make prison pleasant for all who are there, just in case some innocents are caught up in the system and they are in prison but do not belong there, as you did not.

If that is the case, I disagree.

-Jeffrey

Nope, not at all. I was responding to the claim that jail is like vacation and would be a pleasant respite from having to work and take care of your kids.

Reading between your lines leads to you saying that prison is not drastic enough punishment to deter crime. My point is that prison is not pleasant, and not the country club you were making it out to be. The problem isn't with prison being too easy, the problem is that too many people don't have it much worse on the outside.

I agree that prison should be punishment and not as pleasant as your life outside prison. But I think a better path would be to try and improve conditions on the outside than to make it worse on the inside.

As far as the state supporting your children if you're incarcerated, what alternative do you propose? Put the kids in jail, too? Or just let them live on the street?

But I think a better path would be to try and improve conditions on the outside than to make it worse on the inside***

So, you would be willing to provide out of YOUR pocket the $$ to ensure this would happen?? Why should yo have to? Why can't these people be responsible enough to provide for themselves?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Scott

So, you would be willing to provide out of YOUR pocket the $$ to ensure this would happen??

Yes, I am and I do.

Why should yo have to? Why can't these people be responsible enough to provide for themselves?

They should be. Sometimes people need help. We can either be a society that helps to build up each other for the good of all. Or we can be a bunch of selfish, uncaring individualists that have no empathy for others.

I have no empathy for those who sit on their asses and do nothing to collect what they don't deserve and, the people we are talking about (criminals), are USUALLY these same people that fell society owes them.

I can assure you that given the choice, I would not give these leeches a dime but, unfortunately, I do not have that choice.

Scott