peacefuljeffrey

Make up your mind, you GUN BAN HOPLOPHOBES!

the term hoplophobe seems to be oxymoronic - who in their right mind wouldn't (or shouldn't) have an irrational fear of something that they have no knowledge or understaning of, of something that can kill you and everyone around you in mere seconds, particularly if you pick it up and hold it incorrectly (i.e. putting a finger on the trigger and pulling).

Do you fear a hammer, just becuase someone can crush your skull with it in seconds if you're not careful?

Do you fear a pen, just because if you slip you can cause sever disfigurement or death?

Pciking up a gun and holding it does not cause it to fire, no matter how many cops say "it jsut went off."

Why wouldn't you want to know how to pick up and handle it safely, rather than allowing an inanimate object to terrify you?

How is that fear deemed "irrational"? To me, it's irrational people wouldn't have an inbuilt fear of guns if they know nothing about them.

I don't fear pieces of metal and plastic, no matter their shape.

I do, however, have a very healthy respect for the power and responsibility that comes everytime I ahndle a firearm. There are four very simple rules that help me do so.

1. Every gun is loaded. Everytime you put it down, somebody loads it when you're not looking.
(check the chamber, everytime you pick it up)
2. Never point the firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.
(if you don't point it at anything valuable, you can't shoot anything valuable)
3. Always be sure of your target and what's beyond it.
(know what you're shooting at, and what you mighth it is you miss or shoot through)
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
(last back up to all other rules, avoids accidental discharges)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Is that really the reason the Olympic team is training in anbother country? I doubt that there is a document somewhere that states that - so stop trying to twist things.

read my post again
"If there were NO hangunds, then no one could get killed by a handgun"

Which is a silly tautological statement, and says absolutely nothing about how people might get killed by the same people who currently use handguns to do it, if there were no handguns.

If we had never invented the automobile, people would not be killed by or in them -- but we'd have some other mode of transportation, and they'd probably get killed by or in those.

Violent crime has many reasons for its existence. The USA is not necessarily any safer because there are so many guns. But the USA has thousands more unnecessary killings than other countries - probably directly related to the number of readily available firearms.

We also have thousands FEWER unnecessary killings than a lot of other countries -- notably countries that attempt to BAN people from owning guns. Check out Brazil, and lots of African nations. Or how about places where there have been GENOCIDES. It's much easier for a government to do that to people who don't have guns.

I did not say to ban them, but making people learn how to use them would probably be all that is needed to get the unwanted guns off the streets.

Please explain the logic of this statement, which really does seem to be a non-sequitur: what does making people learn how to use guns have to do with getting "unwanted guns" off the streets.

Of course, most Americans would say it is unrealistic. Too bad no one has 'ideals' except the anti-gun lobby. The pro-gun lobby appears to not have any particular ideals on solving violent crime, expect more prisons and more guns.

You speak from painfully obvious ignorance, if you think the "gun lobby" does nothing about violent crime.

It not only sponsors, it WRITES legislation and works to get it passed, that provides for still penalties for those who use guns criminally. Do a google search for "OperationExile" which has been a rousing success at getting felons who use guns put away in FEDERAL PRISON by allocating sufficient prosecutorial resources to do the job. It is the "gun lobby" that pulls all the weight when it comes to getting things done about gun violence and gun accidents. How many actual safety training programs does Handgun Control Inc. have? How about Violence Policy Center? How about the "Million Moms"?

The anti-gun lobby hasn't got squat for "ideals" apart from the mindless, pathological screed of "Guns are bad, guns cause crime, guns cause murder, must eliminate guns."

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Nearly everyone believes that whoever's protecting them is entitled to guns and some people shouldn't be allowed to own guns. We just disagree over who is responsible for our protection (answers include me, my bodyguards, the police, or the government) and who shouldn't have them (choices include everyone but the government, convicted criminals, people of the wrong color, and everyone not incarcerated).

The exceptions are hard-core libertarians (everyone is entitled to protect themself with any gun including "criminals." Once a criminal initiates force against someone he ends up dead and is no longer a threat) and pacifists (everyone should accept their role as a victim).

You left out my option:

America's gun supported culture of fear does not make sense to me.

Honestly, I'm neither pro-gun, nor anti-gun. Hell, I'll say that not only are they useful tools, they can also be fun toys. Like any tool, there are good sides and bad sides. In this case, the downside can be quite serious. They stand alone in the US among very dangerous tools that are largely unregulated.

I just don't get why Americans are so nuts about it. I suspect the pro-gun culture is largely being driven by the manufacturers.

_Am

So, is that a culturally condescending judgment or what? "I don't understand why you like this thing, so I could possibly find myself joining opposition to it."

I mean, since when does one have to "get it" in order to be willing to leave those who enjoy something alone??

The pro-gun culture is largely driven by the manufacturers? What a bizarro theory that is! Is the interest in skydiving driven by the manufacturers? Is the interest in woodworking crafts driven by the lumber mills? You can't possibly give credit for a hobby to the people who just like that hobby, huh?

How many ads for GUNS do you see on a daily basis? Somewhere 'round about ... ZERO, I'll bet. That is, unless you pick up a magazine about guns and see the ads contained therein. So how does that prove out your theory that gun manufacturers (presumably through advertisement, I assume you to mean) drive the interest in guns, when people have to go out of their way to expose themselves to guns in the first place?

-
-Jeffrey

So, is that a culturally condescending judgment or what? "I don't understand why you like this thing, so I could possibly find myself joining opposition to it."

I mean, since when does one have to "get it" in order to be willing to leave those who enjoy something alone??

Just a quick off-topic question. Do you feel the same way as you've stated above about other issues, e.g. gay marriage?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

ALL of these can be bought and have been used to kill. Should they ALL be regulated?

Of course not. First, I haven't been arguing for regulation.

I've only argued two simple points. a: guns are dangerous, and b: they are largely unregulated.

Which is an absolute falsehood -- a lie perpetuated by the anti-gun lobby and press.

-You have to have a government license to manufacture guns.
-You have to have a government license to sell guns as a business.
-You have to keep accurate records of how many guns you manufacture and sell.
-Each and every gun you make must have a serial number, and the vector of sales must be recorded on down the line to the end user.
-If you have these licenses, you can be inspected by the BATFE at any time, and you MUST open your records and your facility to them.
-If you want to purchase a gun, you must pass a government background check first, giving up your name, address, social security number, and an oath (punishable by 10 years in prison for perjury) affirming that you are not a felon, a fugitive, a drug abuser, or a mental defective.
-In all but two states, you must get a license if you want to carry a gun concealed on your person for self protection. In 36 states, the government must issue this license if you meet objective requirements. In 12 states, they can tell you to just fuck off if they don't feel like granting the license. Several states have NO provision for such licenses.

So please, tell me again how guns and their sale and use are not heavily regulated.

But the gun nuts do seem to insist on it...

That's a slur. I would like it very much if you ceased referring to people whose side you don't agree with as "nuts." I we were people demanding gay rights, would you call us "fags" or "goddamned homos"? If we were women seeking equal pay, would you call us "bitches" or "dumb broads"? What makes assailing us with epithets okay? The fact that our interest is not politically correct?

-
-Jeffrey

Ohh, don't forget your white house is white because we beat your ass and burnt it.

Yes, of course, and that is why our currency still has a picture of the Quee-- oh, wait. Nevermind. Forget I mentioned it. I guess you didn't kick our ass after all.

-
-Jeffrey

Australia and England have far from done that. The rate of violence in both is nowhere near what it is in the US. I know nothing of podunk towns in GA.

Data has already been posted here showing that the RATE of violence in UK and Aus. are already higher than that of the U.S. It is the NUMBER that is still smaller, the higher rate is something that is at work to change even that.

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey

Here ya go....

lol... from your article:

Government statistics released this month showed a year-on-year gun crime increase of 35 percent.

Incredible! So, since making handguns illegal, cgun crime (which by all understandings must include owning a handgun) had gone up! wow!

You seem to be confused. "Gun crime" was still illegal before the ban. It's not as though sticking someone up with a gun, or killing them with a gun, was criminalized in 1997, and that's why your gun crime rate went up.

The gun crime they're talking about is most certainly USING a gun against someone in the commission of a different crime, like robbery or murder, because after the ban, 90-some-odd percent of the legally held guns were successfully confiscated. So it's very unlikely that a major part of the currently-committed "gun crimes" are simply the act of possessing a gun that is now banned.

This one is good too...

According to statistics released by British police last year, a Londoner is about six times more likely to be mugged than a New Yorker.

Since when did NYC allow concealed guns? I mean, mugging could only be dettered if your victim had one on him, right?:D

So, until you can distill the number of crimes that are realted to woning a handgun from thses numbers...

Are you posting drunk?? What's with the steady stream of typos (to say nothing of the illogic)??

Fewer than 100 people were murdered using guns in Britain in the 12 months leading to April of last year, according to recently released government statistics, but nearly 10,000 firearms crimes were reported overall, a one-year increase of more than 2,500.

your argument is baseless.

Not hardly.
Your argument, it seems, is that the bulk of the crimes involving firearms are simply people getting caught having them now that they're banned. Well, since the LEGAL owners' guns have all been accounted for, it seems that anyone still in possession of one was not in legal possession of it before the ban, i.e. there's a good chance he's one of those "outlaws" we refer to when we say, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

-
-Jeffrey

Oh yeah?! Not even if they're haunted by evil ghosts or imbued with demonic powers, like that house in Amityville, or the one in the woods in The Evil Dead, or those cursed antiques in Friday the 13th: the Series??! Those inanimate objects scare the shit out of me!

-
-Jeffrey

Just a quick off-topic question. Do you feel the same way as you've stated above about other issues, e.g. gay marriage?

Blues,
Dave

Yes. If someone's not gonna harm me or bother me by pursuing their interest, fine with me.

You get these idiots who take a $15,000 Honda Civic and put $17,000 worth of engine, suspension and other mods into it, deck it out with spoilers and decals so that it just can't help but attract cops and speeding tickets, and add an obnoxiously loud stereo that just doesn't even seem to have midrange or tweeters in it whatsoever, for all the damned bass you hear -- and I just don't get it. But I'm don't take any kind of active stance in opposition to them doing it, and I don't question them for it -- I just know that other people have other interests that don't necessarily coincide with mine. Like that guy inthe article JohnRich posted, who seems to just live to collect beetles! WTF? But hey, them as likes it can have it! You won't see me getting all judgmental and condescending just because I don't get it.

-
-Jeffrey

OHHH...

That must be the problem.

Gun banners are convinced guns are just like those things...

Of course, you were talking movies, and they're talking reality... :S
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Ohh, don't forget your white house is white because we beat your ass and burnt it.

This is the only come back Canucks have for "Evil Americans." I spent 2 years in the Great Crappy North and you wouldn't believe how many times I heard this. The funny thing is they weren't even a country when it happened.

Screw Canada
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Not in true standing with why the constitution exists - but that's pretty normal."
With all due respect to The Constitution, it doesn't mean a thing in Newbie's country.
So yeah, it is pretty normal.

Then maybe he should not comment about OUR Constitution, and how WE do things?

I mean since it does not affect him and all.

Ron, i think that would be missing the point of Speakers Corner, no?

Besides, my fiancee is a US citizen - which means part of YOUR Constitution may one day become part of MY Constitution.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Besides, my fiancee is a US citizen - which means part of YOUR Constitution may one day become part of MY Constitution.

In which case you have invalidated Nac's defense of your position, and should answer Turtle.

ps - good choice of fiancees; straight white teeth make things so much nicer. :P
witty subliminal message
1*

So - then - you want ONLY the military and police (and the like ) to bne able to possess guns.

Nice -

Not in true standing with why the constitution exists - but that's pretty normal.

No, as I mentioned above, in an ideal world you should be able to protect yourself (within the limits of reason). I also understand why it is some advocates for gun control still want armed protection for themselves/their families.

However, owning a firearm for defence, hunting whatever, to me, should equate to the heightened sense of responsibility that goes along with that, as well as having some kind of compulsory safety/proper usage training. At times, this doesn't happen/isn't thought about, hence problems can arise.

You are trying to dictate policy with no backing.

You say should and could - but offer no ways or means.

It is good the way it is - if it isn't broken - don't fix it.

I'm not trying to dictate anything. Offer no ways or means? Ok how about if you want a gun, you have to have it registered, along with your details, have compulsary cooling off periods, detailed background checks, training for the type of gun you are buying and some kind of "responsibility" training, to be laid down in law (i.e. if this gun is mislaid and falls into the wrong hands, we will be coming after you). Personally i don't see any of this as an infringement on my rights. Hell i can still own a gun right? (as long as the background check turns nothing up). Yet you still will have people saying "no way should i have to register SH*T, it's my god given RIGHT!).

I would say the problem in the US is far from "not broken" at least in major metropolitan cities. Go and speak to any cop who has just worked a weekend shift in a major city in the US and ask him if gun's aren't a problem.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

no, don't get confused - it's simple. The arguement could go thus - don't deny those who require guns as tools for their jobs (law enforcement, close protection bodyguards etc). Some people are more likely to be targeted by nuts than you and i (celebs/politicans). They will require heightened security.

So according to you, only cops and military should have guns. Uh huh. Why is that? You do know that, at least here in the US, cops have a higher crime rate than people who carry concealed, right?

Also, you think that being tageted by a nut requires being famous? Why should people who can afford 24/7 bodyguards be the only ones who can protect themselves.

If you want to play probabilities, no one in the US is likely to be a victim (overall likelihood of crime victimization is around 4%).

If you realize a gun can be necessary to protect oneself (as you stated via acceptance of bodyguard carry), why deny it someone who wouldn't make as many headlines?

Everyone from the Clinton Justice Department to unaffiliated researchers have found between 1.25 and 3.5 million Defensive Guns Uses each year here in the states. Couple that with the fact that active physical resistance with a gun lead to the lowest probability of being hurt in a crime, and you must ask, would you rather there be another two million crimes each year?

Gun control does not necessarily equate to a blanket ban on guns.

Show me one anti-gun politician who is not pushing for a blanket ban. To counter your argument, I inform you thus:

“If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in, I would have done it.” – Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995

And if you can find me an environmental protestor, picketing a major oil company driving a Humvee, i will put on the monkey suit and dance down the street while playing the banjo.

OK, so maybe even the eco-freaks have more sense than anti-gun logic. I'll buy that.

man i really need to stay out of the gun threads...:S

Kennedy, as i have now mentioned several times in this post, in an ideal world people should be able to protect themselves with whatever they want (within reason - i.e. no, i don't think an AK47 is necessary for home defence, but a handgun is). This, however, is not an ideal world. I'm sure you, John Rich, peaceful jeffrey etc are all RESPONSIBLE gun owners. I just think that there are people out there who aren't, and don't equate the ownership of a gun to the necessary level of responsibility. Oh course, a gun is not a hammer, but it has the ability to do damage far more quickly to more people than a hammer could, so that's why you need a certain heightened level of responsibility to go with that. Again, i'm not having a go at you, i'm sure you are responsible, but not everyone is as accountable.

I also stated i can understand why those who are pro gun control want certain armed protection. That's it, no more no less.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

the term hoplophobe seems to be oxymoronic - who in their right mind wouldn't (or shouldn't) have an irrational fear of something that they have no knowledge or understaning of, of something that can kill you and everyone around you in mere seconds, particularly if you pick it up and hold it incorrectly (i.e. putting a finger on the trigger and pulling).

How is that fear deemed "irrational"? To me, it's irrational people wouldn't have an inbuilt fear of guns if they know nothing about them.

Nac not directing this at you BTW, just tagged it onto your post, as i found the definition of the word to be stupid.

I will go on record that it is 100% always bad to have an "irrational" ANYTHING. It shows that you have allowed the smart part of your brain to freeze and stop thinking, and let raw fear do the job for you. You seem to be... well... advocating irrationality! How bizarre!

By the same token, whuffos have no idea how to use a parachute correctly, right? Should they have an irrational fear of parachutes and skydiving?

What about a person who walks near a swimming pool and doesn't know how to swim? He should have an "irrational fear" of it -- or should he maybe have instead a "healthy respect for the potential danger"?

You condition the "inbuilt fear" to be for those who don't know anything about guns. Well, how about we address that by teaching people -- kids and adults alike -- so that they don't have to fear guns irrationally, and so that if they encounter them, they'll know how to handle them safely? Got something against education?

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey

of course i don't have anything against education, nor am i advocating irrationality by any means. Simply, i understand where this irrational fear in people can come from. I like you, believe irrational fear to be a bad thing, but people are phobic, which by it's nature is a fear of something that can be completely irrational. I am terrified of spiders. Why? Who knows. I have some theories (being scared by them when i was very young etc). Do i know it's completely irrational that i'm scared of this tiny thing i can crush? Of course! Do i want to do anything about it? I would love to, but you know, what i can't even get near to them to try and overcome my fear. Maybe someday i will go on a course to get over my fear, but right now, i would prefer to stay away from them.
Can this apply to people and guns? Of course. And i can understand that. That's all i was saying. The idea that it's irrational to be scared of a harmless house spider is obvious. The idea that it's irrational to be scared of a device like a gun if you know nothing about them, is well, not irrational to me. It's understandable. (yes education is an answer to curing that irrationality, but some people, like me, prefer not to be educated on matters that concern irrational phobias for whatever reason).

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Do you fear a hammer, just becuase someone can crush your skull with it in seconds if you're not careful?

Do you fear a pen, just because if you slip you can cause sever disfigurement or death?

Pciking up a gun and holding it does not cause it to fire, no matter how many cops say "it jsut went off."

Why wouldn't you want to know how to pick up and handle it safely, rather than allowing an inanimate object to terrify you?

I do, however, have a very healthy respect for the power and responsibility that comes everytime I ahndle a firearm. There are four very simple rules that help me do so.

1. Every gun is loaded. Everytime you put it down, somebody loads it when you're not looking.
(check the chamber, everytime you pick it up)
2. Never point the firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.
(if you don't point it at anything valuable, you can't shoot anything valuable)
3. Always be sure of your target and what's beyond it.
(know what you're shooting at, and what you mighth it is you miss or shoot through)
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
(last back up to all other rules, avoids accidental discharges)

Kennedy can you HONESTLY compare the destructive power of pen's and hammers to a handgun?? I really don't think you can. Of course, it's the HANDLER of these we should worry about - but the nut with a gun is far more dangerous than the nut with the hammer/pen/knife.

As i said in my post to Jeffrey, yes education is helpful in addressing peoples phobias - but frankly, sometimes people don't want to address them, and that's not difficult to comprehend, whether you are pro, anti or fence sitting on guns.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

In which case you have invalidated Nac's defense of your position, and should answer Turtle.

ps - good choice of fiancees; straight white teeth make things so much nicer. :P

i did answer Turtle.
And contrary to popular belief, some of our ladies in the UK actually have GREAT teeth

Brit babe

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

If we had never invented the automobile, people would not be killed by or in them -- but we'd have some other mode of transportation, and they'd probably get killed by or in those.

Yes, but the automobile (and household poisons and knives and other ways of dying) actually have some OTHER useful purpose in life, whereas a handgun does not - it was designed solely for the purpose of killing.

We also have thousands FEWER unnecessary killings than a lot of other countries -- notably countries that attempt to BAN people from owning guns. Check out Brazil, and lots of African nations. Or how about places where there have been GENOCIDES. It's much easier for a government to do that to people who don't have guns.

do you REALLY believe that if we polled Americans that own guns, their first reply would be "I own a gun because I m afraid that the government someday will try to commit genocide?" Most people either hunt or have it for self defense. (meaning they too are willing to kill someone)

It not only sponsors, it WRITES legislation and works to get it passed, that provides for still penalties for those who use guns criminally. Do a google search for "OperationExile" which has been a rousing success at getting felons who use guns put away in FEDERAL PRISON by allocating sufficient prosecutorial resources to do the job. It is the "gun lobby" that pulls all the weight when it comes to getting things done about gun violence and gun accidents. How many actual safety training programs does Handgun Control Inc. have? How about Violence Policy Center? How about the "Million Moms"?

Which only reinforces my earlier points - let's put EVERYONE in jail who has commited a crime - which is pretty much all of us. We have all done something wrong in our lifetimes - legislation that you seem to support is typically hypocritical. How about eliminate the problem from the root? If the guy never had a gun in the first place, he would not have been able to commit a gun-related crime.

DO they really support gun safety? Are they lobbying to have everyone go through safety programs? I do not see any such legislation on the table. It is a smoke screen to get you to believe that they really care, when they really just care about some 200 year old amendment that has little relevance today.

I guess I was wrong all along - I guess it is OK for kids to pick up Dad's gun and shoot their brother and call it an 'accident'.

I guess it is OK for me to shoot that guy who tried to mug me, when all he really wanted was the $20 in my pocket, but now he carries a gun because he thinks I might have one too. Do people really deserve to die for petty crimes?

I guess it is OK when I get pulled over for speeding that 2 cops to approach my car, with holsters un-snapped, in case there is a shoot-out - since I might have a gun in my car. (And if I get shot because I flinched the wrong way, for that to be a 'tragic accident').

I guess it is OK for me to live in a country where I have to worry about getting in a fender-bender and having the other guy get into a fight with me and maybe shoot my ass just because he has a gun in his glove box.

I love walking down the street wondering who might try to kill me - great peace of mind.

It is the same kind of paranoid fear the government loves to keep you in so they can convince you of pretty much anything they want.

I guess it is OK for all these people to be dead - nice to know that human life is worth so much......

TK

How about eliminate the problem from the root? If the guy never had a gun in the first place, he would not have been able to commit a gun-related crime.

Great lets eliminate the root cause...Not the device.

The cause is some jackass that wants to harm others. It has been shown time after time that if a person wants to kill someone..they will do it even if they don't have a gun...The 9/11 hijackers didn't have a gun, the Menendez brothers didn't use a gun to kill thier parents, OJ didn't use a gun to kill Nicole and Ron, Dalmer didn't use a gun, Cain didn't use a gun to kill Able, Auhbern Callaway tried to hijack a DC-10 using a HAMMER Austrailia and the UK have high non gum related crimes....See, violence is going to happen anyway as long as one guy wants to kill another.

A gun is just a tool. And I have seen you enjoy weapons as well...Need I mention Theo's trailer and you being drunk with a shot gun? Did you see me shooting that night? Nope. You all were drunk and with firearms...I got away from there as fast as I could.

You want gun saftey? Don't drink and shoot.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This is the only come back Canucks have for "Evil Americans." I spent 2 years in the Great Crappy North and you wouldn't believe how many times I heard this. The funny thing is they weren't even a country when it happened.

Screw Canada

If it was so bad, why did you stay here for a full two years?

The cause is some jackass that wants to harm others. It has been shown time after time that if a person wants to kill someone..they will do it even if they don't have a gun...The 9/11 hijackers didn't have a gun, the Menendez brothers didn't use a gun to kill thier parents, OJ didn't use a gun to kill Nicole and Ron, Dalmer didn't use a gun, Cain didn't use a gun to kill Able, Auhbern Callaway tried to hijack a DC-10 using a HAMMER Austrailia and the UK have high non gum related crimes....See, violence is going to happen anyway as long as one guy wants to kill another.

I disagree. More people are killed by guns in 6 months in the USA than were killed in ALL the incidents that you describe. Yes, death and murder happen. But LESS of it would happen if the gun was NOT the tool.

Violence will still happen but to a lesser degree if the gun was not there - and less of it. Most burglars do not enter a house to kill, they enter a house to steal. They carry a gun now because the owner might have one.

And by eliminating the root cause, I did not mean the person - but the social aspect of a culture that seems to endorse and promote violence with violence.

Putting people in prison already does not work. They get out, and they learn to be better criminals in prison. Are you going to put everyone away for life
just because they committed a gun crime? Or do we try to stop the problem BEFORE it becomes a gun crime? Not much point in your argument if the gun crime has already been committed. THat was the point in my post. The guns cause more 'accidents' than society (a civilized society) should tolerate.

Has anyone defined 'violent crime' in this discussion? Everyone likes to state that it is on the rise, but is someone pushing someone down on the sidewalk, kicking them and stealing their money considered a violent crime? Probably, but do I need a gun to defend myself from that?

Does the mugger deserve to DIE because he took my wallet? Does he carry a gun and shoot my ass off first because he thinks I might have a gun? Then you use that as a reason why I should have had a gun in the first place to defend myself, because now your arguement was that he was planning to shoot me anyway.

It is a spiralling cyclic arguement that has no end.

I doubt most violent crime would still end in death if the gun was not involved in the picture.

Should we be proud that American hopitals are the best in the world at handling gunshot wounds? Shoudl paramedics have to wear flack jackets in the field for fear of being shot?

Paranoid and delusional.

If there were NO handguns, then no one could be killed by a handgun. That is a fact - as far at it may seem, it is still a fact.

America lives in total denial that there is a problem and the fact that it is OK for so many innocent people to die by handguns each year is beyond my comprehension.

If it was YOUR kid that got shot by his friend's gun, would you stand there and defend to the death his right to have that gun?

A gun is just a tool. And I have seen you enjoy weapons as well...Need I mention Theo's trailer and you being drunk with a shot gun? Did you see me shooting that night? Nope. You all were drunk and with firearms...I got away from there as fast as I could.

Actually I was not drunk that night and we were shooting just fine with a well-prepared plan, direction of shotting, safeguards in place and several trained people there to help out.

I have EXTENSIVE firearms training, have competed in handgun, rifle, trap and skeet competitions over the years, been shooting since I was 6 years old. My uncle had a collection of more than 300 pieces, and I learned a lot from him. I own 13 various guns right now (no handguns), but do not shoot much any more. My guns are locked in a safe 24/7 because I do not acutally believe that I will (or should) ever need a loaded gun at my disposal for fear of my house being broken into.

I have 5 dogs - how about we trade the guns for dogs if burglary is what people worry about?

So my background is one of experience. I believe that people should be forced to learn to use the tools that you so widely support. Then it might actually be safer. But some redneck with a 357 magnum in his glovebox is 'not' a needed weapon.

And it is more likely to do some innocent person harm than ever defend him when needed.

TK

I disagree. More people are killed by guns in 6 months in the USA than were killed in ALL the incidents that you describe.

Got any proof that over 3,000 people were killed by guns in the US in 6 mths?

And if so how many of those were ACCIDENTS?

Yes, death and murder happen. But LESS of it would happen if the gun was NOT the tool.

That I don't agree with. Have any kind of proof? Most serial killers don't use guns. Most crimes of passion don't use guns.

Violence will still happen but to a lesser degree if the gun was not there - and less of it. Most burglars do not enter a house to kill, they enter a house to steal. They carry a gun now because the owner might have one.

I say if they guy breaking in has a gun...He is up to no good. If you want to take away the home owners right to carry and have a gun...Well now the intruder can be more aggressive without repercussions.

Take away the guns from the good guys and now the good guys become easier targets.

Has anyone defined 'violent crime' in this discussion? Everyone likes to state that it is on the rise, but is someone pushing someone down on the sidewalk, kicking them and stealing their money considered a violent crime? Probably, but do I need a gun to defend myself from that?

Do you LIKE being kicked and beat up while being robbed?

And agin if you take away the means to defend yourself, you become an easier target.

The guns cause more 'accidents' than society (a civilized society) should tolerate.

Thats an education issue, not regulation...What is it the canopy folks tell me? You should not regulate what you can educate.

Hey, I am FOR responsible ownership. I am FOR training, I am FOR gun safes. I don't like the idea of an untrained idiot with a gun. But I like the idea of a trained law abiding citizen with a gun.

Does the mugger deserve to DIE because he took my wallet?

Do you deserve to be mugged? If he was not breaking the law...then there would be no problem. When you break the law, you risk the repercusions. It's clear that jail time is not enough of a deterant.

I doubt most violent crime would still end in death if the gun was not involved in the picture.

And I disagree. People have been killing other people since man has been around.

If there were NO handguns, then no one could be killed by a handgun. That is a fact - as far at it may seem, it is still a fact.

Yep, but it is as logical as "If no one skydived, no one would die from skydiving." They are both facts, but both are stupid arguments.

America lives in total denial that there is a problem and the fact that it is OK for so many innocent people to die by handguns each year is beyond my comprehension.

Not in denial. But your side thinks the solution is to ban anything that can hurt you....And that has been proven to not work.

Plus the Constitution grants us the right to have weapons. Like it or not, it was the fore thought of our fore fathers to give us that right for many reasons.

An armed man is a free man. An unarmed man has no recourse other than what the powers that be GIVE him. And the powers that behave a tendency to TAKE rights.

If it was YOUR kid that got shot by his friend's gun, would you stand there and defend to the death his right to have that gun?

It would suck, but I would blame the friend, not the gun. Just as I would not balme the car that killed my friend.

You want to blame the gun.

Actually I was not drunk that night and we were shooting just fine with a well-prepared plan, direction of shotting, safeguards in place and several trained people there to help out.

Ok for the sake of argument lets say you didn't drink...I don't agree, but lets just say.

You are telling me that NO ONE was drinking? That is utter bull shit.

I have EXTENSIVE firearms training, have competed in handgun, rifle, trap and skeet competitions over the years, been shooting since I was 6 years old. My uncle had a collection of more than 300 pieces, and I learned a lot from him. I own 13 various guns right now (no handguns), but do not shoot much any more. My guns are locked in a safe 24/7 because I do not acutally believe that I will (or should) ever need a loaded gun at my disposal for fear of my house being broken into.

Good for you..And its your RIGHT to not want a weapon for defense...But why do you insist on taking away MY RIGHT to have one?

As for my training...Well you know I have a large chunk of training via Uncle Sam. Why should I not be allowed a weapon? Have you ever even SEEN me with a weapon? I don't treat them like toys...You don't see me shooting at the DZ EVER. And you never see me with weapons and alcohol at the same time.

I have 5 dogs - how about we trade the guns for dogs if burglary is what people worry about?

Dogs are a GREAT alarm, and a deterant..However, I can't take my Lab everywhere I go...I can take my Glock.

So my background is one of experience

As is mine.

I believe that people should be forced to learn to use the tools that you so widely support. Then it might actually be safer.

I agree. I am FOR training. But I am also FOR the right of a trained guy to carry a weapon.

But some redneck with a 357 magnum in his glovebox is 'not' a needed weapon.

And it is more likely to do some innocent person harm than ever defend him when needed.

If he treats it like a toy, YES...But if he treats it like atool, NO.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334