PhillyKev

Los Alamos closed...

History? Oh, I'm sorry, did we stop terrorism some time in the past and it hasn't happened since?

I don't think it's overreacting to be upset that we're bomving other countries because we erroneously think they are seeking nuclear arms and may in the future give them to terrorists, meanwhile we can't secure our own nuclear secrets.

Shouldn't homeland security begin at home?

U.S. Nuclear Lab Temporarily Halts Secret Work

Ok, that's troubling [:/]

If we can't even secure top secret military installations, how in the hell does anyone think we can stop terrorist attacks?

When I worked there in the late '80s, all the labs had the same combination on their locks. It was the default code they came out of the box with!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hey I used to work at the University of texas and apparently they are bidding to run Los Alamos. The might rename it The Alamo II but what the heck.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Remember when a few computer hard drives went missing from another government laboratory for a few days? (few years ago).

I'm not sure if they ever got to the bottom of where they went to, but they eventually showed up. Weird.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yep.....

Didn't some fuel rods disappear from a plant in New England a few months ago, too? Anyone know if they ever turned up?

How the hell do you misplace shit like this or have such lax security at these locations to allow stuff to go missing? It's amazing.

How the hell do you misplace shit like this or have such lax security at these locations to allow stuff to go missing? It's amazing.

Dont worry about it Kev. We're safe from nail file carrying terrorists. And Kris. They're the ones you need to worry about.
Remster

Yep.....

Didn't some fuel rods disappear from a plant in New England a few months ago, too? Anyone know if they ever turned up?

I worked at Los Alamos for several summers some 10 years ago. They invited quite a few university faculty and graduate students out there each summer.

I can only speak for the part I worked in, but by and large the researchers there had the mentality of "this is just like a university campus and I am just like a professor", which carried over to a general attitude of openness typical of a university. And which is probably quite inappropriate for a nuclear weapons lab.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.