lawrocket

Should Saddam be Released

He'll be long dead before there is any stability in Iraq.

So be it.

He will not receive a fair trial in Iraq.

Who gives a shit?

To treat him and execute like he did thousands of his people?

That would be nice but would probably be against their law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To treat him and execute like he did thousands of his people?

That would be nice but would probably be against their law.

I dunno. I think it was Nicolai Ceausescu (spelling?) who was executed in Romania. Execution was made illegal in Romania about 2 seconds afterwards.

Maybe it will happen in Iraq, too.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I dunno. I think it was Nicolai Ceausescu (spelling?) who was executed in Romania. Execution was made illegal in Romania about 2 seconds afterwards.

Maybe it will happen in Iraq, too.

I agree. It would be nice to have him executed. I should have emphasized, though, the “To treat him” in the sentence, “To treat him and execute like he did thousands of his people.” I was trying to say that execution would be too easy. He’s done far worse to lots of his own people.

I have to say I am surprised to even see 6 people say they want him released.

Am I against the war yes. But should we release him HELL NO.

He is an Evil man and he needs to pay for all he has done and he has done a lot.

He should be killed and his assets should be sold to pay for the family’s who have suffered.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

>I was trying to say that execution would be too easy.

The thirst for violence and revenge is, in my opinion, one of the things that leads to war and worldwide suffering. I really don't care what happens to Hussein as long as he never has a chance to do what he did in Iraq again. That's the important part. Prison forever? Execute him? Whatever; I think the people of Iraq get to decide that. But it would sadden me to hear that hundreds of thousands would take joy in watching him be tortured. It makes us no better than him.

>What if one of the many women that he raped, tortured, and killed
>was your daughter?

Then words could not describe my rage. And it would be me who had to live with that. Fortunately, my mind is stronger than my emotions, and thus once I knew he would not be a threat to anyone else (in jail for life or dead) I would stop pursuing him. It might feel good to watch him die, but it also might feel good to beat the crap out of someone who I disagreed with, and I would not do either one because they are wrong.

I really don't care what happens to Hussein as long as he never has a chance to do what he did in Iraq again

The only way to be sure of that Bill is to end his sorry ass life. Slow, fast I don't care but i hope it happens and happens soon. It would also serve as a warning to others who act as he did.

The only way to be sure of that Bill is to end his sorry ass life. Slow, fast I don't care but i hope it happens and happens soon. It would also serve as a warning to others who act as he did.

You mean like Hussein learned from the Nazis hanged after WWII??

I just don't get how people can credit the warped perpetrators of crimes that we punish with death, including Hussein, with the ability to rationally weigh the risk of a death penalty vs. their perverse desires for evil. People have been getting executed since the beginning of time, but none of the crimes for which it was done have ceased to exist or be perpetrated by someone else. It's pointless in terms of prevention and serves only to satisfy the blood lust of others. Someone needs to stop the cycle of hatred and death.

I think, in the interest of the society that we have to live and operate in, that people who commit crimes of the level that we now consider worthy of the penalty of death should, in fact, be put to death. They serve no benefit to society whatsoever and are, what we then have to consider, a permanent threat to the safety of others. Rehabilitation is, at that point, not considered possible. I think that if they commit a crime of such an attrocious and violent nature as to deny another person of their life, that they should be eliminated or removed from society as a whole (taken out of the equation).

I agree that they need to be removed from society, but life in prison serves that purpose. There are more than a few instances of death row inmates being exhonerated. Plus gov't sanctioned killing only perpetuates the idea that killing is justifiable under certain circumstances (which I do believe is true), however, those circumstances then become open to interpretation. First it's ok to kill convicted murderers, then it's ok for someone who witnesses a murder to kill the perpetrator, then it's ok to get vengeance on someone who killed your wife, and it continues to roll down hill. The only way to prevent the unnecessary and unjustified killing of people is to declare all killing to be wrong.

Immediate and summary execution would probably turn many people to the cause of Al Quaeda, as would any form of justice administered by what some may see as a puppet government.
A fair trial would be lengthy, complex and difficult to administer, look at the Lockerbie (remember the Pan Am 103 bombing that killed 270 people) trial of Megrahi and Fhimah, it took 14 years to resolve, and now to my disgust we are all nice and friendly with the guy who allegedly funded the thing.
The Milosevic (crime- genocide, Srebrenica 1995) trial has been going for how long?

I don't think people's blood lust for Saddam Hussein's demise will be satisfied in the immediate future.
Besides, I'm sure he has lots of interesting things to tell us.:):o

Edit (after reading Gawin's link http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1044069#1044069 ) to add. If the handover to a coalition appointed interim administration in Iraq goes ahead at the end of June, the earliest we can expect an elected government in Iraq would be early next year. They will appoint a suitable commission to administer the trial and they will need time to be trained and the case to be prepared. Gut feeling is, we are at least 18 months away from the commencement of proceedings, and potentially years away from a conclusion, if the trial is to be seen as being fair and just.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson