JohnRich

John Kerry: The "Common Man"

John Kerry, the candidate who claims to represents the "common man", shares five homes with his wife, with a total value of $33 million:

1) Boston, Mass.: A five-story, 12-room Beacon Hill town house that serves as Kerry's main residence. Assessed value: $6.9 million.

2) Nantucket, Mass.: A three-story, five-bedroom waterfront retreat on Brant Point. Assessed value: $9.2 million.

3) Washington, D.C.: A 23-room town house in Georgetown. Proposed 2005 assessment: $4.7 million.

4) Ketchum, Idaho: A ski getaway converted from a reassembled barn near Sun Valley. Assessed value: $4.9 million. Heinz Kerry owns two adjoining lots valued at $1.5 million and $1.8 million.

5) Fox Chapel, Pa.: A nine-room colonial on nearly 90 acres in suburban Pittsburgh. The property also includes a nine-room, carriage house. Assessed value: $3.7 million.

One source:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/587/4680321.html

Home photos attached.

The common man?

It seems very different in scale to me:
"Bush never released financial details of the (Crawford, TX) ranch purchase, but local real estate agents have said the 1,600-acre property is worth $1.2 million, or $800 to $900 per acre. The market value is $988,353, according to the county tax appraiser's office. Bush constructed a single-level ranch house on 10,000 square feet with high-ceiling rooms making up about one-third of the space. A limestone porch takes up the rest..."

A guy with a 3,500 sq. ft. home is a lot closer to the "common man" than someone with five homes worth $33 million.

Bush's Crawford Ranch

Compare the above, with the photos of Kerry's five homes.

Um, are you certain that was the URL you -wanted- to post?

Kinda makes GWB look like a buffoon and I thought you kinda respected the man.

Anyway, GWB is NOT the common man and worth considerably more than what you've suggested.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Money aside, GWB does not act like a privileged, arrogant asshole in his private life.

I can't speak to his -private- life, but he does seem to also have lived a somewhat privileged lifestyle when it comes to his -public- life.

Let's face it, they're both from money.

Kerry mostly married into it.
GWB mostly inherited it.

If you think GWB is "the common man" you're been fooled by a well oiled (pun intended) publicity machine.
quade -

Let's face it, they're both from money.

Kerry mostly married into it.
GWB mostly inherited it.

Yep, agreed. :)

If you think GWB is "the common man" you're been fooled by a well oiled (pun intended) publicity machine.

No, I wouldn't be foolish enough to buy that . . . but when was he trying to sell it?

. . =(_8^(1)

His claim that he's from Texas for instance.

That's not uncommon from people that live there. :S:P Especially Texas.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I dunno.

I have a feeling that if I moved to Texas I would never be considered a Texan no matter how long I lived there.

It'd be interesting to see what the Daughters of the Texas Republic have to say on the subject.
quade -

Does that mean I get to tell you you're not an American if you haven't been here long enough to qualify for Sons of the American Revolution? Maybe you're not "Mayflower Material" enough... :S

Bush can relate to the "common-man" because he has a bit in common with him. Kerry is the epitome of Massachusetts poofy haired aloof liberal politician. (see attachment) How many people can relate to that?

Quite simply, nobody is campaigning for Kerry. They are just campaigning against Bush. I haven't seen people so lack-luster about an election since the last time my town's mayor was up for re-election. (he ran unopposed)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You haven't seen the bumper stickers that said, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could." (or something like that)

There is, indeed, something about Texas (to Texans anyway :P).

Either way, Bush has been a "Texan" since 1968, went to Harvard in '73 and came back to Texas in '75.

So, he was born in '46. 33 of his 58 years have been in Texas. Works in my book.
Make light!

Hey, only pointing out the obvious that John Rich posted a link that, given his position on things, just didn't support his position very well.

If I wanted to rip him a new one . . . believe me, you have no idea how immature I can be. ;)
quade -

i'll have to quote my current signature for this particular debate since it might change...

Vote Cthulhu, why chose between lesser evils?

pretty much anybody that really wants the job of president is unqualified to hold it...they are all so far above the 'common man' as to have zero understanding of what the people actually think and feel... we've effectively had an aristocracy for the last 100 years or so...

Vote Cthulhu, why chose between lesser evils?

Screw that...vote for me! ;)B|
Make light!

Bush can relate to the "common-man" because he has a bit in common with him.

Please. Both Bush and Kerry are far removed from the problems of the "common person." To say one is more in tune with the problems of common Americans is ridiculous. How many commoners use to own part of a baseball team. If George would've had a different last name would've he gotten into Yale?

If George would've had a different last name would've he gotten into Yale?

Well, Kerry had a different last name and he also went to Yale. ;)

And they were also -both- in one of the most exclusive frats on the planet -- Skull and Bones.

They have -far- more in common with each other than with me and even I don't claim to be all that "common".
quade -

Um, are you certain that was the URL you -wanted- to post?

All right, here is the explanation for that link. I searched Google for a photo of the Bush ranch house, and couldn't find one. Apparently that stuff is kept secret for security reasons.

So instead I plugged in that satirical web site, just for the humor of it.

I'm sorry you didn't recognize the joke in it.

Please. Both Bush and Kerry are far removed from the problems of the "common person." To say one is more in tune with the problems of common Americans is ridiculous. How many commoners use to own part of a baseball team. If George would've had a different last name would've he gotten into Yale?

What, rich people can't have more and less in common with the "common man?"

I was referring to the fact that he watches baseball, likes to hunt, practices his faith, owns a dog, etc.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I was referring to the fact that he watches baseball, likes to hunt, practices his faith, owns a dog, etc.

Like I said, he has way more in common with Kerry than me. I don't do any of those things.
quade -