lewmonst

Should parents be allowed to pierce their babies' ears?

I think the public is getting too involved in what a parent can and cannot do. This is getting rediculous. My kid, I'll decide.

And for the record, we did not pierce our daughters' ears until they were old enough to decide for themselves, but had I decided to do it when they were infants (As my parents did for my sister) what business is it of anyone else's?

What next?[:/]

Can pierced ears become infected, or just hurt in a way that is not obvious to the parent? An infant can't verbalize that their ear hurts, all they can do is cry.

This would be the only reason I can see for banning the practice, the rest are moral ones. Then again, one of our fine southern states has decided that even adults can't make the choice to pierce certain areas.

I work at a childrens hospital and I see infants with pierced ears all the time. It is most always young teenage mothers who are children themselves or hispanic people who are the parents. They also put gold chains around the baby's necks as well!

I cannot stand it myself.:|

I live in Quebec and I would say that half of baby girls have ears pierced. But there not only from teenagers parents or hispanic (nor any other minorities). Most of people do that just because it's cute. It's also current to see baby girls with a tiny gold chain and/or a gold ring.
-----------
Venez visiter le site de L'Ordre des Ours Polaires Volants

Should they be allowed? yes

Should they do it? no

A Prince Albert is a whole 'nother question.

LOL!!:D

I also have not voted on this one... I can't bring myself to go 100% for or against. I will say that I don't like seeing it, but society and human civilization DO grant certain rights and powers of parents over their children. Maybe that's an idea whose time is past, I dunno. I think it's kind of sick, in a way, that just because a child is too young to be totally responsible for itself that people older than the child, even parents, can make absolutely life-changing decisions for or about them.

But parents mold children's thinking: there is no way around that. How much worse damage can some ranting nutjob uneducated antisocial drug abusing loser parent do to a child just by saying and doing the wrong things around the kid, than someone just poking holes in the earlobes? I'd say that a kid with pierced ears is a whole lot better off than a kid with a psychologically abusive or physically abusive parent -- even though those latter may not leave scars or holes.

How does this poll bear on the idea of parents having skin on their kids' PENISES cut off?! Did you know that they do that with an electric cauterizer in some cases -- and that it sometimes GOES WRONG?! There was a gender identity crisis case I saw a show about, where a boy was raised AS A GIRL (until major identity problems arose later on) because the doctor botched the circumcision and essentially BURNED HIS PENIS TO A CRISP when he was an infant!

Far beyond the "damage" to a kid that early ear piercing can do, why is the question not, "Should parents be allowed to cut their kids' genitals?"

Now, I myself am circumcised, and I have no particular objection to being so -- but I still have to wonder why it is okay for parents to do.

What about parents who give their kids [I]STUPID, STUPID NAMES[/I]?? THAT is something that a kid has no control over that can also mess him up...

Overall, I agree with the quoted response. Yes, they should be allowed. No, they shouldn't do it. Leave it to the kid. If the kid won't make a decision on it til she's 12 or 15, so be it. The kid is not a trophy to show off. If you're a parent and you want to show off little diamond earrings, put 'em in your own fuckin' ears if you're so vain and in search of status symbols.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Piercings are in no way shape or form permanent. I've had up to 25 and now have 13. They leave tiny holes that you hardly notice. It's personal preference.

PICTURES!! WE WANT [I]PICTURES[/I]!!!
The farther south, the better! :P
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You don't think we should do anything PERMANENT to our infants???? That's kinda funny.
Are you kidding? Everything we do is life lasting, its just that way..

Should we be allowed? I'd like to see someone stop us! How DARE anyone tell me what traditions to pass on to my child.

I guess next your going to have a problem with raising them with religion, or as stated previously, with circumcision... c'mon... does it really effect you in anyway that I got my ears pierced when I was 4 months old?? No.. Did it effect me in any negative way I can see? NO.
Little girls in my Cuban upbringing are supposed to wear earings, gold necklaces & baby ring. My daughter got her first set (A 100+ year tradition) when she was 3 months old.

The tradition holds strong and will keep living on, wether anyone else likes it or not. I'm sorry that it offends you of course, but I certainly am not going to change over a hundred years of tradition because some people might not like it, nor would anyone else I know. Hey if you want those kind of rules, go live in a NOT FREE COUNTRY, you might feel right at home.

Piercings are in no way shape or form permanent. I've had up to 25 and now have 13. They leave tiny holes that you hardly notice. It's personal preference.

-

They are already out there:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

How about rephrasing the question. Should the state, or anyone else be telling parents whether or not they can pierce their children. Or spank them if they're disobedient (and I mean spanking with a flat hand - not with a belt or a stick, or a fist). Next they'll be telling parents of boys that they can't have them circumcised.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

-

They are already out there:)

Plus video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ph34r:

I work at a childrens hospital and I see infants with pierced ears all the time. It is most always young teenage mothers who are children themselves or hispanic people who are the parents. They also put gold chains around the baby's necks as well!

I cannot stand it myself.:|

I live in Quebec and I would say that half of baby girls have ears pierced. But there not only from teenagers parents or hispanic (nor any other minorities). Most of people do that just because it's cute. It's also current to see baby girls with a tiny gold chain and/or a gold ring.

Oh, Damn! The problem is worse than I thought! Now the Canadians are hook'n up with the Mexicans to gangbang us! I love Canadians, where is Pippy!!!!!:);)B|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"