PhreeZone

Wheels for K leg tables?

I need to make my Singer 45k and table more movable so I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck in finding decent wheels to fit a K leg table. I also would love to get my old 20U and table on wheels to move it around easier but it has the older style legs that was between the old cast iron style and the new K legs. They seem to be a hollow tube style design from the 50's I would guess with large 6 inch leveling foot pads. Anyone have any luck getting this type of table on wheels?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have two machines on wheels. A Singer 312T-141 double needle, and my 132-K6. I went to a store with a good selection of castors, chose ones with a flange and bolted them to the bottom flange of the table legs. I needed to drill some holes to make it work. I used only two bolts on each castor. After that I needed to lower the table and adapt the foot pedals a little. It works great, the machines move easily but I have to be careful as they are a little top heavy. I've never tipped one, but it would not be hard to do so.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi PZ

Danger ranger. Shopping during the holiday's is what it amazon.

Back to your question about wheels for your machine.

I was a wood worker. Lots of heavy machine, the band saw and drill press have a much higher C.G..

Not everyone has unlimited space so the wood working industry came up with mobile bases for these tools.

The bases that I was familiar with were adjustable. The machine sits in the mobile base.

I suggest checkling oUT amazon.com for woodworking tools and bases.

If you've been good all year, Santa might have one on sale.
One Jump Wonder

Krip

Hi PZ

Danger ranger. Shopping during the holiday's is what it amazon.

Back to your question about wheels for your machine.

I was a wood worker. Lots of heavy machine, the band saw and drill press have a much higher C.G..

Not everyone has unlimited space so the wood working industry came up with mobile bases for these tools.

The bases that I was familiar with were adjustable. The machine sits in the mobile base.

I suggest checkling oUT amazon.com for woodworking tools and bases.

If you've been good all year, Santa might have one on sale.

I looked into using this kind of system as well. I decided against it because these are basically dollies and I would always be banging my shins when I sat down to sew. As well as not being able to get my chair legs under the table when I wanted to get closer.

I'm not home now, but I can post pics later in the week.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Cut two strips of plywood the length of the "front leg to back leg" measurement, and the same width as the bottom of the leg.

Screw/bolt one of these to the legs to each side.

Now you can mount whatever you want to the plywood.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I did that with my first one. It works alright, but the 3/4 plywood I used adds extra height. On the second one I found that just bolting the two flanges together with 2 bolts on each wheel works just as well. I wasn't sure the legs would be stiff enough, but they are.

The one machine is on really thick pile carpet and its already on those sliders and it just does not move that easy. The 45k is on concrete and needs to be wheeled into the carpeted room to make room for other items since it only gets used every couple of months for a project here and there. The sliders don't work well when you need to move it 20 feet or so.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If on thick carpet, regular casters might just dig in. One way to attach casters is rotated 90 degrees so the mounting plate is bolted on the sides of the legs, not underneath them. You only mount the wheels on one end(heavy motor side) and then lift the light side and roll it like a wheel barrow. The casters are off the ground when the table just sits there. It might be necessary to mount a flat surface, maybe plywood, onto the side of the leg so the casters have a solid surface to mount to. My grandpa used this on all his shop tables. Works great.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You can always buy one of these.:)
https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=1%6020657&usscriteria=466.2&usssearchby=header

They used to be closer to $300.:S I should have bought one then. I've seen a crank up dolly like this for some other application but can figure out what. If I could it might be adaptable and cheaper.

Or you can buy new legs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEWLINE-NEW-COMPLETE-ROLLING-T-LEG-WITH-CASTERS-FOR-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-/321935768049?hash=item4af4ddf9f1:m:mw6_HEiXT4CAo8RmFafj_cw

I just put casters on a new bernina 217. Came with 2x6 under the legs already. Just screwed them on. K legs are adjustable so drop the height or raise the chair. IF you need the treadle closer to the 'floor' build a small platform to slide under the treadle. I actually haven't sat at it yet so need to sort out what I want to do.

I have never had any luck trying to attach casters to the K legs. The machines also tend to shake some on casters so I don't do it much. The 'wheel barrow' version described above is best for medium heavy equipment in my mind. I did that with my table saw that's on a home made wooden stand. Hmm, may be able to fabricate brackets that attach to legs only when wheels are needed.

I also move machines by putting one end up on a flat moving dolly. If on carpet I usually need to pull the head to move roll the table. Did that with the OTHER bernina last night. I low dolly with 6" casters outside the table with axles above the load level might be good to. Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2Sy-FaUwU Haven't found this in the U.S. yet. But some angle iron, a couple of wheels and some plates and bolts for axles.

EDIT
Knew I'd seen this somewhere.
http://www.stanleysewing.com/shop/devices/machine-mover-tt500/
Finally found the right words to search - table truck sewing machine.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think it's worthwhile to get casters with the locks on them. Make it roll only when you want it to. I wish I had a photo of the machine I just sold. I took some scrap 4x4 square stock, cut the legs shorter (on a chop saw) and added wheels similar to the attached photo (factory brother tacker table). Thing is I found just adding wheels raised the table too high.

-Michael