pookieland

1st USA paraplegic skydiver Coming Soon

Pookie!
You are already a skydiver!
I want to be there when you jump solo bitch!

Very impressed and proud of you my friend.
Best wishes on your success.
B|

You remind me of this slacker I saw on the back porch recently. Just sitting there in his gear....
:P

Hey Thanx alot, I have a great group of friends here in Z-Hills and with all there help they have got me this far and well, the rest is up to me. I love the open air and I love the free fall, and I hope to some day make the highiest free fall for a paraplegic in the history of skydiving. Do you every get to Florida, the weather and people are always great here.
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

keep at it dude!
TK is a friend of my AFF instructor and know your in good hands.

What has been your skydiving progression to date?

I see in the photos you got your own rig on-not tandem...
thus you are now doing the AFF program, is that correct?
if so, what level are you at?
how many jumps?

you seem determined enough-keep at it.
it took me a while and im out there on my own now flying solo.
done over 100 skdives as a paralyzed person,
ifyou keep at it, it will happen i believe.'

as my instructor Angus said "i saw you werent going away, you wouldnt quit" so he started the AFF program again with me and off i went to finish my level 7 AFF and from there to become solo skydiver.

What are you doing with your legs for stability?
and what level of paralysis do you have?

sory, im trying to understand your situation better... hope your not offended by so many questions.

be well n take care,
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I didn't check them all, but those links seem to be about well known skydivers who are missing limbs.

I thought this thread was about someone with paraplegia, limbs they can't control.

Hey there,
Well, I only have 5 more days until my solo freefall. It will be this saturday at my DZ. I will tell TK about Angus, I think that's how you spelled his name. I am a c-6 c-7. We have been working at this for the past 2 1/2 years and we are finaly here. I will keep you up to date on what is going on with me. And Thanx for your support, this is a dream of mine and the time is NOW...
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Hey there,
Well, I only have 5 more days until my solo freefall. It will be this saturday at my DZ. I will tell TK about Angus, I think that's how you spelled his name. I am a c-6 c-7. We have been working at this for the past 2 1/2 years and we are finaly here. I will keep you up to date on what is going on with me. And Thanx for your support, this is a dream of mine and the time is NOW...

I remember hearing about you from Angus in spring 2008. Actually what I had learned then (I was going to the wind tunnel at that time) was that you had been in the wind tunnel and TK had actually asked Angus to come down to be the 2nd AFF instructor with him to help you.
Then for some reason that project sort of didnt go any farther-from what I understood-so I AM VERY HAPPY to see you posting here now.
even more excited to know you are going to go do the 1st solo-now let me understand-do you mean your 1st AFF (solo for you-you wear your own gear but the two instructors jump with you and hold on to you for the 1st jump at least and then as you progress you would go through the r=program myself and Dale went through-complete level 7AFF and then you are solo certified skydiver not needing the instructors anymore.

is this correct?

I am expecting that you would be going to do the AFF and not either a static line or a IAD (instructor assisted deployment-basically the jump master deploys your pilot chute as you exit the plane-instead of the static line).

As Angus and I have discussed, and I would think Dale and his instructors would agree-that AFF is really the only safe method for teaching paraplegics to skydive. Static line method is too difficult because for our 1st freefall it is only a 5 second delay and I tried that once-depoy immediately out the door like I see CRW guys do-that was the jump I ended up deploying on my back and had a pilot chute hesitation-it was caught under my container and was flapping in the air in front of my face-NOT a good place to be-especially without lower limb control-had that pilot chute gone between my legs instead of out the right side of my body-it would of been a high speed mal in very difficult conditions.

So having said that, I will be awaiting your post on Sat. or as soon as possible after that to see how it went.

I am assuming that your trip to Zhills is not far from you-hopefully-giving you the chance to go often.
That is another key in this sport for all people but for us paralyzed ones especially-CURRENCY CURRENCY CURRENCY!!!!

the AFF progression hopefully can happen fairly quickly in the sense that you would be available/able to go for the 2nd jump fairly soon after your 1st one.

Please elaborate/explain what you guys are doing with your legs?

Dale and I have similar 'systems' for our legs and the way in which our pants were made but yet somewhat different.

I'm very curious as to what your system for working with the legs is.

I think it is critical to know these things, because as Dale had said, once he has jumped more-he is interested in writing in detaill some of the methods we have used.

Since we each have a different level of paralysis-its also important to then note which level of paralysis uses what type of system.
i.e. Dale if I recall correct is T10, your C6/7, I'm currently now at the level of T1/C7, but with problems with diaphram supply (C4).

Anyways my thoughts are wandering-sorry-i would just be so interested in learning what you guys have done so far, what happened when you did it, what did you change if anything, and what happened then... I know you've only been in the tunnel to date-that I know of--propably done lots of tandems though?

so when you get some time, would you try to write down the info on those questions.
It will be so helpful for others who wish to learn also, and the instructors who choose to take on these projects.

When Angus and I started there was only TK to talk to after we lost Tonto (Peter's AFF instructor).
Initially we had contact with Tonto on this.

Now Dale, he researched this stuff on his own, contacting me a year ago Aug. or so, and from there talked to Peter and others perhaps even...
explained it all to his instructors and off they went-they did not have the chance for a wind tunnel-there isnt one in his contry... but generally Angus and TK both seem to believe (and I agree what ever my opinion matters LOL) that a wind tunnel test is almost a must before going out the plane without knowing what may happen in freefall.
Dale proved that wrong-he never had the wind tunnel and went on with what was believed to work and modified things from there as he needed to.

His detailed info on what he did, is very helpful and i hope mine is also-thats why i keep writing in the same thread-so the info stays together in one place.... helping whom ever is going to be some day putting the info together and hopefully making a manual of sorts on what worked for whom/what level of paralysis and what didnt work and so forth,

wether you know it or not, your experiences in this are absolutely critically important-please consider writing down the best you can info on everything youve done, to date and as you continue on with your jumps explain what hapened and why.

i hope someone will jump and do video for you, that is also so important.
Dale and my AFF progression is documented on youtube and my wind tunnel testing videos as wel.

i hope gathering this iinfo together one day will be helpful in others like us who wish to fly-to come join us in the skies.

I'm currently in contact for about a year now with a fellow John, who is hoping to join us in the skies one day (check out J2rolls on or extremechairing in google to find John).

We are planning a wheelchair -trip- from some place to a dropzone where i hopefully will be allowed to jump (this will be in the USA) and John will do his 1st tandem.
John has taken it upon himself to bring awareness to spinal cord injuries by making several day trips across certain states-yes travelling the whole state-and his website is of individuals with disabilities who are pushing the limits and are doing -extreme sports- im on his site as a skydiver.

pookie i hope you understand that your jump on saturday will be special for us all, surely it will be a huge leap for you-literally- 2 1/2 yrs in the waiting!!!!

that is totally awesome!!!

im so stoked for you-now i wish i was going to zhills for the canadian invasion after christmas but i had plans to go to FL for some B.A.S.E. jumping in march or so OR go to the wind tunnel....

IF i go to florida I would like to look you up and come see you if that would be ok with you. :)

keep at it dude!!!
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

what is your e-mail address? I have some pictures of me in my rig hanging from the rafters at my DZ. This was a dry run for this coming Saturday. I will keep you up to date on what is going on with me and I hope to see you this summer. I will try to answer as many questions as I can for you, but the good thing is that everything is and will be on film or a pic. I will have 2 cam's and 2 instructors with me on this first jump so everything will be caught on tape. I will write you more soon. at work have to go to another floor. but send me your address and I will send you some pic's. Mine is [email protected]
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466