k8fan

Tandem dive for a guy with ALS in the Kansas City area?

I just registered. Not a skydiver myself, but my brother-in-law has ALS. It's progressing fairly rapidly, but he can can still walk with difficulty. His birthday is next week, and he desperately wishes to skydive once in his life. So:

Is this possible? I know George H. W. Bush did a tandem skydive on his 80th birthday, so the physical demands cannot be that rigorous.

Are there skydivers who specialize assisting in the physically challenged?

Is this possible in the Midwest, ideally in the Kansas City area?

He's a great guy who has always been very physical, athletic and fearless, and we really want to make this happen for him.

Any information, especially from skydivers in the KC area, is appreciated. Thanks!

I hope he gets to fulfill his dream and someone can help him out.
Thank you. I've got calls in to two nearby dropzones and hopefully will hear back from them soon.

My mom passed away from ALS so I know what you and your family are going through.

I'm sorry for your loss. My mom died six years ago, and not a day goes by when I don't think of her.

***Best of luck.

Kim

Thank you. I hope this works out and he'll be able to jump out of a perfectly good airplane soon.

Hey there,

Yes please keep us posted about the jump. I truely wish the tandem can be arranged and your brother-in-law will enjoy it (I'm sure he will).

A very close friend of my family died from ALS 8 years ago. He always was fascinated by the sky and I remember we took him to see an air show. He was so happy and it was like part of his spirit was flying with the airplanes in the sky and he could feel free and liberated from his handicap because of that.

When I started skydiving 2,5 years ago, I often regreted not realizing sooner that it would have been amazing for him to be able to skydive, and I hope he's flying in the skies now.

That's why I hope so badly it will work out for your brother-in-law. For people who are trapped in their own body, skydiving will give SUCH a sense of freedom ... it would mean the world to him, I'm sure :)

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)

I've recently been given the privilege of jumping with an ALS patient. Even after 5000+ tandems I was pretty nervous about it, however I must say that jump and the 3 that have followed with him have been a true pleasure.

:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have a message to return, and will in a few minutes. I'd think that Tommy Dolphin MRVS would be a lot closer since he's a KC area DZ. He's also a rigger, and DPRE, so may be more capable of dealing with any possible issues. We get calls every once in a while from someone in the KC area, and will always inform them that there are other DZs a lot closer than the 250 miles to Wichita.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I called several folks and left my number and my brother's number. He spoke to several and he chose to go with Tommy Dolphin who reportedly was the most comfortable with my brother-in-law's disability and was confident that this will work. We presented the certificate at his birthday party last Saturday and he was overjoyed.

I'll follow up and let everyone know when the jump will happen and after. Nice to see that there are some business still where people care about who can provide the best service to the customer rather than just making the most money!

Thanks again for the help.

Glad you asked!

This is an important request, and its good to see folks stepping up to the plate to help a fellow out.

I have ALS (and started skydiving in 2007 as a paralyzed wheelchair vert. ramp junkie_another story for another thread), and would do anything possible for your request-so as it is now, all I can say is that check out youtube for skydiving and ALS. I've even seen a video of a guy a vent. with air tanks strapped to his chest doing a tandem (he also had ALS).

There are a few such videos out there.

Please don't give up, it looks like this will be a great possibility-I can feel it in my inner soul something wonderful is going to come your way, and your brothers grin will be seen all the way down to the ground from 10,000f!

PLEASE keep us posted on what happens....
hopefully someone will offer a video for him.

I HAVE come to see that skydivers are propably the most kind hearted, generous individuals I've met in any sport I have been involved in.

It must have something to do with the great element of trust we put in each other-despite not knowing everyone on our load of divers.

We literally trust each other with our lives, right from a pack job, a pin check, proper separation on a dive to landing patterns. (stuff you dont need to worry about-but it just is shared to show how many steps along the way-and many others not mentioned- are a matter of trust for each other-and each of those could cost a life or a limb if did not respect each other and our sport so much).

SURELY the love of this sport will shine through and your brother will have a great dive soon!
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I am in Baldwin WI Skydive Twin Cities. It sounds like you have much closer folks to choose from so that's great. However if anyone else is in that need of someone in my area I will go out of my way to help you out. I have made jumps with ALS patients as well as many bi and tri-plegics as well as single and double amputee's. Joe
Westside is the best side!