Distabled

ParaChutePlegic

Hi All, here is a video of my second jump. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v330/DazzaD/?action=view¤t=Produce_1.flv

To say that this has been a FANTASTIC experience would not do it justice. It has been totally awesome!

I seemed pretty stable but need to do some streching of my hips as years of sitting in a chair has caused some shortening of my ligaments which keeps my knees down a bit in free fall.

I held the pull position for a while and i was fine. I bit of a left turn but i can sort that out.

All good! And i am going up again in a week or so!

'A' licence by Christmas!

Thanks for your support guys, the skydiving family is alive and well!

D
Get busy living or get busy dying!

Well Done Dale.
Looks like your making good progress mate.
Very low turn at the end of your landing 'pattern' though!!
Cant imagine the instructors were chuffed with that one!

Thanks HF, The jump plane taxied into the landing area far too close so i had to take evasive action. You can hear the engine come in on the vid.

Jump Pilots should hold short of the landing areas until all tandems and students are down. I have seen people nearly get their canopies wrapped around the prop because pilots get too close.

One of my pet hates, that and prop wash blowing dirt into the hanger! Grrrrrr.

D

Dale,
Sorry for the short reply last time.
had some health stuff here going on.

Yes I saw the 'up n down' movement of your legs towards the end of your FF (they either were not visible easily enough to me prior to that OR they were more stable-which is a possibility ofcourse- as for me, the first 5,000f or so were fine -I jumped from 13,500 and by 7,000 I had more and more backsliding due to leg bending at the knees-which you wont have trouble with due to your well made braces-very smart idea in how you made them Dale.)

Anyways,.. my 1st AFF showed NO problems (except that I held the pilot chute too long which IS a big enough problem) but what I mean is that no visible or noticable or even 'felt' difficulties with the whole FF until we eliminated the one instructor and then we started to see the issues.

SO, lets hope that the leg movement you experienced will be helped with the excersices you plan-very important-to get on the floor daily several times and stretch those hips, legs, prferrably get advice from physio on how to do it for you... so you will be doing it well but not damaging muscles... but im sure you know this allready-being a wheelie is not too new for you anymore-you are very well adjusted and intelligent young man.

I wonder IF the type of crotch panel Peter and I use helped with keeping our legs from doing that motion(not sure why, because I never had that movement-which again shows how different we all are).

I hope your landings can be video'd. I know it is difficult for they do not necessarily know where your going and do not want to get in your way....
but it was hard to see how your landing was.
it looked like an quick stop (like a nice stand up landing would look like from that distance-lol)
but tell us, how did it feel, how did it work.. did you slide on the ground long or did you drop and stop more like?

sorry, I am very interested in your progression. because it is important due to the obvious differences we allready see between you and I, as well as perhaps Peter, you and I also. And Lonnie, I have seen him jump and I know how he lands whcih is diferent from me also... so anyways...
it would be important to document this stuff for future use of anyone who wants to try this journey.

Well done Dale, nice jump, and welcome again back to the blue skies.

Much wishes for your success in your goal for Christmas! B|

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

ooops stup*d me, didnt go see the youtube video of the off DZ landing -sorry for the video comment (clearly there were plenty of media present at the DZ) aboput the landing Dale.

Sure was a media splash there :P

OK, so tell us anyways about the landing.
I'm still very interested to learn. & now understand why there were no video of it.-sorry -dont worry-it will come.

Like I said once today:

" Dale's done it!
"The 1st Paraplegic to Jump" into a media sensation/splash.
Surely his off DZ landing was safe (he looked well) and he propably did not have the advantage of Peter Hewitt, Lonnie Bissionettte, Russell and I, having Tonto, Angus, Fuzzy, and the likes of the McCarty brothers helping with the accuracy.

Good media splash Dale! ;)
Good show for the paraplegic community,

OK you will be the guy to jump into the Paralympics,
you definitely have the personality to do it.

I think people like I,
need to stick to jumping off more soletary situations/places...
:o

and folks like you and Dale do the media splash parts :)
OK, would you seriously persue the Olympic and Paralympic opening ceremonies
I'd offer what I could, for helping,
but do not know where to start myself.... other then training like hell from this moment on -yah the sponsorship would definitely be necessary or you'd end up just like those solitary ones of us-a cliff n high pole jumper.

But you've got more media savy then I could ever learn in my lifetime LOL
and propably more then I could muster (like that movie -training day-i do not think i could have done anything other then that rookie that day either)

anyways... i'm still here for yah buddy,
we wheelies always will be a part of society that is 'different' somehow (how can we not be, we're fk*n rolling around on wheels instead of like all those walkers) so anyone lauching themselves out there to splash into a 'honda commercial style' world wide media moment as a skydiver and a para's got my support in sharing the message

-were not just a bunch of people who lost our ability to do things we want in life just kus we roll around instead of walk.... heck, we just mobilize different... or fly different in this case.

go get it Dale,
it's there in front of yah...

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

yea my off DZ landing was my first out of 40 jumps so i was a bit pissed about that. Pilot did a bad jump run and we got out 3 miles past DZ. We were upwind but I only made it 1.5miles back before landing in a field with my two JM's. My actual landing was perfect. Came in , flared and plop, on the ground. Very smooth and i was very happy. My second landing was just as smooth when impacting the ground. If i pick the conditions and only jump when its safe i will be fine with my current set up. Pulling my legs up and connecting to my chest strap was simple and took me 20 secs to do so i am v happy with that also.

Cheers for your support guys , especially you Minna. I cant imagine the committment you have shown to get into jumping from scratch without any previous jump. Outstanding and bloody well done!

Cheers

D

yea my off DZ landing was my first out of 40 jumps so i was a bit pissed about that. Pilot did a bad jump run and we got out 3 miles past DZ. We were upwind but I only made it 1.5miles back before landing in a field with my two JM's. My actual landing was perfect. Came in , flared and plop, on the ground. Very smooth and i was very happy. My second landing was just as smooth when impacting the ground. If i pick the conditions and only jump when its safe i will be fine with my current set up. Pulling my legs up and connecting to my chest strap was simple and took me 20 secs to do so i am v happy with that also.

Cheers for your support guys , especially you Minna. I cant imagine the committment you have shown to get into jumping from scratch without any previous jump. Outstanding and bloody well done!

Cheers

D

Keep up the good work mate and dont forget to post the pics and video.
A license here you come!

Not much can stop you if you put your mind to it. I have no real advice, but I'm sure others do. Just a few weekends ago at Bridge Day 2008 in Fayetteville, WV (USA) I saw a man paralyzed from the waist down make his first BASE JUMP from 876 feet with the help of some friends (he actually wasn't attached to them). Needless to say, it was a very successful jump!! Anything is possible :)

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Not much can stop you if you put your mind to it. I have no real advice, but I'm sure others do. Just a few weekends ago at Bridge Day 2008 in Fayetteville, WV (USA) I saw a man paralyzed from the waist down make his first BASE JUMP from 876 feet with the help of some friends (he actually wasn't attached to them). Needless to say, it was a very successful jump!! Anything is possible :)

Yup, I'm pretty sure I'm talking about you Lonnie. ;) Kick ass jump!!! Probably the best one of the day.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Just a few weekends ago at Bridge Day 2008 in Fayetteville, WV (USA) I saw a man paralyzed from the waist down make his first BASE JUMP from 876 feet

Yup, I'm pretty sure I'm talking about you Lonnie.

_IF_ that was Lonnie B, then he made plenty of BASE jumps before his injury (on a BASE jump), and I know he has made at least a couple since then, including a guyed tower he climbed. So he's not new to the game, and has some movement left in his legs.

thereès a few guys at Bridge day usually yearly doing a jump-paralyzed guys that is

i was registerered as jumper # 417 for Bridge day
but some sh*tty things happened re: ride there and such...so I ended up giving my ticket to someone else...
would have been nice to get the shirt.. for the $ i spent, but what can i do... its over now.

lots of place to jump from without travelling to Bridge Day.
it would have been nice to jump with Lonnie there....
but the way it looks now, I think I am going to finish the tour of all the Antennas in my area alone...
since that was pretty much my only chance to travel to the USA, and well... asides from skydiving which i have to travel 4 hrs one way... there are 8 antennas accessible right here in my town.

Well I have made a manual that combines tandems windtunnels and PFF/AFF to get a para to solo on a square canopy so look and spread the word please.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33652517809&ref=ts (facebook)
my online Manual
http://www.jagworksdesign.com/html/Para%20Manul%20opening%20page.htm
All the best please spread the word
Rod Mack D-422 CSPA

My experience
http://www.jagworksdesign.com/html/R%20Mack%20Skydive%20History.htm

Cheers

D

Any progress mate?

Hi HF,

I did a 3rd jump yesterday and it went very well. I jumped from 10000ft out of a C206 with two instructors(Curtis and Digga) and a cameraman(Troy). The exit weas great & as soon as we levelled out i did a practice pull. The instuctor on my left -Curtis, let me go and came around to the front while Digga held my right leg strap. I started to rock forward and back so i need to make my crotch panel on my pants more porus. I landed in a sandy patch in the student landing area and i was very happy with the jump. I made some good progress. I hope to do 2 more jumps this weekend and aim to have my A licence by 1st Jan 2009.

Thanks to Curtis, Digga, Troy and Pilot and DZ owner Greg Smith. Without your accepting attitudes I would not be able to attempt these jumps.

D

Hi HF,

I did a 3rd jump yesterday and it went very well. I jumped from 10000ft out of a C206 with two instructors(Curtis and Digga) and a cameraman(Troy). The exit weas great & as soon as we levelled out i did a practice pull. The instuctor on my left -Curtis, let me go and came around to the front while Digga held my right leg strap. I started to rock forward and back so i need to make my crotch panel on my pants more porus. I landed in a sandy patch in the student landing area and i was very happy with the jump. I made some good progress. I hope to do 2 more jumps this weekend and aim to have my A licence by 1st Jan 2009.

Thanks to Curtis, Digga, Troy and Pilot and DZ owner Greg Smith. Without your accepting attitudes I would not be able to attempt these jumps.

D

Good work!! The rocking could also be you were tense maybe?

Dale, I just read your thread and watched your video. Words cannot express how fantastic that I think that you are. Everyone with a disability who is seeking to go beyond their expected boundaries have more passion and determination in their soul, than most who do not have the disabilities. You are all an inspiration.

Thanks Vanilla, I enjoy jumping a great deal and if you want something bad enough nothing can stop you i guess.

I have another jump scheduled for Sunday. All going well I will be let go in FF, that will be a very special moment for me.

I will post the vid of this jump asap.

Blue skies

D

Well my next jump just got cancelled due to no pilot avbl .

Here is a vid of my last jump ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOlCja8RsY you can see the rocking that i had. I have modified my pants to have more porus webbing in between my legs as I think the air was getting caught which lifted me up and then the air spills out and then starts again.