Distabled

ParaChutePlegic

Hi All!

Ive just joined your forums. Im in Australia and I am planning to jump solo. I am a T10 complete para with no movement or feeling from waist down.

I had a motorbike accident 6 yrs ago. I was a commercial pilot before then and I flew jumpships for 3 years (500hrs) to build up hours. It was here that I got the jump bug and completed 37 jumps before I broke my back. Now I want to get back into it and have a tandem booked for this Saturday and my solo planned for 24th Oct.

I have a pair of motor cross pants that I have modified with extra padding and straps to pull my legs up with for landing. I have a modified harness that has extra webbing across the back to stop my legstraps from falling down my legs. I have very strong upper body control but the main thing i am interested in is my legs in free fall. Do i need some type of brace or will my legs naturally posn themselves in the box position? At this point I dont plan to brace my legs but will use knee pads to hopefully get my legs in some type of correct position.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

D:)
Get busy living or get busy dying!

Thanks Monky,

I have read all of that thread and I have also conversed with the author.

Are there any Paraplegics with their injury at T10 or below that have jumped? Im trying to get into contact with Peter Hewitt in South Africa as apparently he is a para. I really want to find out what it like from someone who has a similar injury to me as people with spinal damage higher up then me have different challenges and issues to overcome.

I will keep searching around.

TY

D;)

Hi Dale.

Great for the enthusiasm, and determination.. both of which you will reguire to hold on to whole heartedly... to go down this flight path.

Great that you've got a tandem planned first, and I would expect anyone in our situation trying this, to do so -first before venturing further.

The pants are well made you showed me, the strap at the butt of your harness should be in everyones harness I would think... unless it hinders in water landings getting the harness off.. *I would guess not*.

I would strongly suggest contacting some of the people whom you are thinking of, world wide.
Some such as Peter whom you mentioned have been instrumental in getting me off the ground.
And continues to be so.
Peter Hewitt is one of the 1st pioneers of this.

The firstr solo student planned so soon after one tandem worries me -I did tandem progression after my 1st tandem.. which means I was learning the skills while the tandem instructor gave more and more control to me.. but he was there to save our life if I screwed up-kus he dont want to die!.

Not much worries me... :o so let that mean something.

If you cannot get to a wind tunnel before trying a solo, (I hope it is an AFF/PFF not static line or IAD?because it if's not, reconsider again please).

There are others.. Lonnie, and some more.. not many.. with your level or lower in paralysis.
As you mentioned, we are all so different, so even the experience of another T10 will not be the same as yours.

Your previous interest, experience and info on parachuting will definitely help. but do not let it deter you from the safer road.... and you will fly long and happy... instead of happy but... short.

We can't bounce buddy....
because of our disability-i.e. lack of training in our situation, or improper assumptions of ourselves.. we must be more careful then a 'typical' skydiver because our instructors must teach us different then a 'typical' skydiver.. -we are 'different'.. and we can't get away from that.
sad to say it, but reality speaks. If we bounce, someone is immediately going to ask "why were they up there in the first place, they can't walk!?"
Which will hinder the progress of others after us.
Worse, the scrutiny our DZ's, instructors and friends face is not right for them.
And rightfully so, I would add.
It is a question that would have to be determined in an inquiry.(sorry if I am a bit to serious,... but it is serious as hell for you and I, and Peter and others to skydive...it's unlike any other activity/sport-i think-if we screw up n bounce, we most likely WILL die.. sorry, reality slaps like an angry canopy)

OK, now to the good part.

If there is no wind tunnel, go back to the DZ of your tandem, talk to the instructors... ask them of their approach... obviously one is willing to get into the solo course-so support is there.
Then, try to see if you get through tons of emergency procedures practices, (do the first jump course), hang in the harness and respond to every possible situation, exactly the way you would in the air.. even under a good canopy, show how you will hook up your legs, and whatever else you plan to do.
Time it all.

Test it with a clock altimeter (the DZ should have one).

INCREASE your hard deck by a min. of 1000f, or more then the time it took to get your legs hooked up etc.
On static line jumps, my DZ still dispatches me at 5,000f which is about 1,500f higher then others.
My hard deck-is determined by my instructor upon watching me under tandem progression to see how long it takes me to locate the DZ locate other skydivers, and set up to the wind to work on my legs.. we determined all that under tandem dives before even doing the AFF's.

Then, get more practice on a mock up... a dirt dive...

IF going AFF, do creeper dives with the instructor.

Yah it all sounds boring, but believe me...
it wont be boring when your falling @ 120mph+, tumbling out of balance, trying to look for your rip cord, or a handle.. while your instructor is head down trying to catch you, and putting his neck in danger....

so yah.. lets get through the boring stuff now... and till it gets drilled in your head so well that he can wake you up at night, give you the 'pull now' hand signal and your reaching for that rip cord in your pj's.

That should take you a few weekends...

oohh yah, and try to get your hands on Brian Germain
s books..
Transcending Fear, and
Canopy and its Pilot,
along with the 5 DVD set from paragear with fly like a pro. Pack like a pro etc. etc. on it.
watch it at daily at home, practice those situations (mental training WILL get you ready for it.. .when it happens..)

OK, yah I sound like a geek, and so I am... :ph34r:

but I want to live doing this stuff...
and I want you to live doing this also.

We cant bounce buddy.. don't forget that.
We owe it to Peter, to Tonto, to Lonnie, to our DZO's and our instructors... everyone who helps along the way...
including me.
and MOST importantly to yourself.

dont bounce!

Happy Blue skies, be safe and have fun,
-minna

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

sorry if it all sounds discouraging, serious and non-supportive.

I do not mean those things.,,,,,

propably my own journey right now for the next month of jumps is colouring my perspective (stressing the safety, seriousneses and potential death)

BUT IT ISNT a bad thing...
better then telling you to go on and have fun, jump out the first plane you find, and do whatever comes to mind next...

I know you know about skydiving, that helps you tons.
i think it can also give a false sense of security.
until you go down the path, you wont know how your body responds.

the harness tests, wind tunnel and even my first few AFF's (not to mention the 12 tandem progression) did not reveal to me that I had trouble reaching the rip cord with my right hand.

my rig needs to be modified to left hand pull.
I discovered after it all.

the tandem instructor's presence disquised the amount of body twist I was doing to pull, or else we used a leg mounted system-which worked always perfectly... others took me up to 1000f to find the rip cord!:o

Then, during the AFF's with two instructors, the presence of the one on my left, helped to mask how much I was pitching to the left-twisting.. until we went to one AFF instructor, and a lighter weight guy then I, to see how I would flip myself around.

It was ONLY THEN that I started to scrutinize the videos (ooh yes.. get as much videos.. that would cost you lots unless you have a vidiot for a friend... i mean it.. that is where it helps to be a part of the DZ life. to bring your cases of beer for your firsts of everything, to celebrate others accomplishements, help others in their time of need... i seen a guy wanting to do a special jump for survoiving a stroke, he had no $ for the video, I asked a vidiot if he would do it for his jump slot and he agreed... it cost the jump slot for this guy to have a memory of the day he celebrated surviving a serious stroke in his 20's.. get in there be a part of the DZ and help where you can... look around and see who is a good flyer, get to talking to them... it is a culture which is so helpful and full of knowledge... and once people see that you are there to stay, they open up and tell you things that will safe your life, give you laughs for the night from stories of old, or help you understand something you wondered about... and become a better skydiver).

Once I scrutnized the videos, I could see how the following happened:

1) I got complacent/lazy in my practice pulls as well as the real thing, because I could get away with it under tandem.. it was not noticeable to me, and propably not to the TM either since they are used to novices for their first ride who have no idea what their doing anyways..

2) I got sloppy with reaching for the right hand BOC.
Once I realized I had such trouble doing it, I went to the leg mounted system right away, which masked the fact that I could not actually do it, without really twisting my body(causing the backflips)....
and I also did not get the full effect of it with two AFF instructors, with Rick "The planet" on my left side I could have tried to twist myself into a back down position on purpose and he would have kept me stable... again... these things did not present themselves until the second instructor was gone.. despite me having a 29+yrs experience skydiver for an AFF instructor, world record holder,'tracks like a bat' fellow for me, I flipped and he had to catch me...

this is told so you understand, and your instructors understand...

that yah, this is going to be a different ride then any of you have ever had...
and safety is key, and must be stressed over everything else....

and having said that...
i think you can do it....
i really do.

give it time, take it slow, i know it is murder to wait...

i had to... all winter.. i went to the dz and talked to people, sat in on classes, read books, watched videos... waited for my chance to hang in the harness then for the last tandem progression dives, then the wind tunnel..
which was 3 months later then i would have been ready (in my mind -but my instructors FuzzyDave and Angus knew different, and knew when is the best timing to do this all)..
i waited and it felt like suicide sometimes to wait.

but it paid off.
even when I 'failed' the AFF portion,
it looked bleak, and i felt like I failed...
but now, I fly,
alone...
and sometimes even with my TM/coach/strap on instructor/Angus, with whom I fly special jumps, FreeFall practice turns, and other interesting things worth mentiuoning but i wont... :)

so dont take my post as serious, and negative, with discouragement.

take it as someone who wants to see you flying some day
perhaps being a guy who goes in for the accuracy jump at a olympic ceremonies...
perhaps meeting all the para skydivers one day in one
world meet...
perhaps... doing something which is pioneering as a para.. (wing suit flights,, i wonder if any paraplegic has done those),
but those will happen if you plan,
are serious and calculated,
safety conscious and speak to the worlds best
in this obscure area of skydiving...
there are not many, but they are all worth seeking out.

maybe some will come read your post and message you.

have fun, learn lots, be safe and keep on passing on your blessings and knowledge to others,
-minna

Hi,

I'm sorry to intrude here but I'm so sucked in to reading what you guys are writing.

I'm a super-noob - a whopping 8 jumps so far and most of them tandem - and I am not a paraplegic so my contribution to this discussion should probably be deleted or ignored or...

I just can't help but add something here, though. Many years ago I lived with a friend of mine who was a C4-5 quad. We didn't become friends until after I moved in; I was hired to be his caretaker much to his parents' horror. He was 22 at the time and had been out of SCIU for only 6 months having spent almost a year there. I was 22 as well. He didn't want some Nurse Ratchet coddling him all day anymore - he'd been living like that for 6 months.

When I read your statement "why were they up there in the first place, they can't walk!?" it brought to mind something he and I did. He was still in the throes of depression over his injury so I decided one day "ROAD TRIP" and, after some research on logistics and such, we planned a trip to Magic Mountain to ride rollercoasters - both of us being rollercoaster junkies. Holy crap did his family freak out. Yelling at me and demanding that I do not, under any circumstances, 'let' him ride a roller coaster. Literally, his mother, father and stepmother showed up at his house all at the same time to have a group hissy fit.

We listened to them and their concerns for quite a while, he tried explaining that he would be strapped into a roller coaster better than he ever is in his chair in the van (granted, the van never went upside down but... details...) and every other line of reasoning. I, for once, sat silent. Finally his stepmother looked at me and demanded "Don't you have anything to say?"

"Yeah. What's the worst that could happen? He breaks his neck and ends up in a wheelchair?"

{insert the sound of crickets chirping here}

I only wish that skydiving had been an option for him. I might have taken it up sooner - or been smothered in my sleep by his parents...
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Hi Minna,

Thank you for your time spent writing all that you have. I have a great team of very experienced JM's and the full support of the Australian Parachute Federation so I am being well looked after.

You don't need to worry one bit about my jumps. I have a wonderful wife and a 4mth old son to go home to each night so i wont be taking risks.

I suppose I am lucky that I have been around aeroplanes and jumping most of my life. I learnt to fly when i was 16 and have over 2000 hrs flying all types of aircraft. I have also spent time in the military. Having this experience means that I am a professional in risk management. I am also a licensed aircraft engineer. I have been employed in very responsible and risky industries all my life so I guess emergency procedures and training is second nature, I never went for more than a couple of months without having some type of practical test or exam. All to do with safety. I consider jumping to be a great example of managing risks in order to achieve a safe and fun outcome. I mean, how amazing is it that we can jump out of a plane and step onto the earth! Unreal!

I have spent over 200 days at DZ's and have seen over 5000 jumps, watched countless videos, loaded many busted bodies into ambulances and packed far to many rigs for free! Infact, I flew for 2.5 years, pretty much every weekend dropping jumpers for no pay. You get to know a lot about the industry and also see a lot of silly people taking risks. In fact, there were some jumpers that I banned from getting in my plane because I saw them as a liability to everyone else on board. I even had a jumper jump out with his single point restraint still attached and he was dangling under the plane. I kept my cool and passed back a knife for him to be cut free. Ive seen students freeze up, ive been thrown up on by tandems (YURRRK!) and I have cut people out of trees! I have fitted skydiving doors to aircraft and conducted test flights with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and wrote reports on safe dropping procedures. I have trained jump pilots, I have caught tandems on landing and I have drunk many a beer after big days at the DZ. I once flew 17 loads in a Cessna 206 in one day which for those who know is a lot of loads.

I have contacted Peter via email and he has replied so his advice will be great. I am not doing static line at all, (I dont even think anyone does that here anymore) and I will have as many tandems as it takes to get my canopy skills back up to speed. Don’t think it will many tho as I always had good landings within 2m of target. I find it much easier to land a chute then a 6 tonne aircraft in a 25 knot crosswind in heavy rain at night after a 3 hour flight thru thunderstorms and on instruments only until established on the ILS and visual with the runway at 300ft and doing 120kts. Landing a parachute is one of the most enjoying things to do after doing the above mentioned 20 times or so!

Olympics sound great. Ill push you out on the way up!

Ill post my tandem tomorrow on you tube and put the link up here.

Thanks again and sleep easy, I wont jeopardize a thing, in fact, my jump is going to be on a major TV station here in Australia as to promote the sport to others so that’s another reason to do it right.

Nothing however is more important then what I have to live for, My wife and son.

Blue skies

Hi Minna,

Thank you for your time spent writing all that you have. I have a great team of very experienced JM's and the full support of the Australian Parachute Federation so I am being well looked after.

You don't need to worry one bit about my jumps. I have a wonderful wife and a 4mth old son to go home to each night so i wont be taking risks.

I suppose I am lucky that I have been around aeroplanes and jumping most of my life. I learnt to fly when i was 16 and have over 2000 hrs flying all types of aircraft. I have also spent time in the military. Having this experience means that I am a professional in risk management. I am also a licensed aircraft engineer. I have been employed in very responsible and risky industries all my life so I guess emergency procedures and training is second nature, I never went for more than a couple of months without having some type of practical test or exam. All to do with safety. I consider jumping to be a great example of managing risks in order to achieve a safe and fun outcome. I mean, how amazing is it that we can jump out of a plane and step onto the earth! Unreal!

I have spent over 200 days at DZ's and have seen over 5000 jumps, watched countless videos, loaded many busted bodies into ambulances and packed far to many rigs for free! Infact, I flew for 2.5 years, pretty much every weekend dropping jumpers for no pay. You get to know a lot about the industry and also see a lot of silly people taking risks. In fact, there were some jumpers that I banned from getting in my plane because I saw them as a liability to everyone else on board. I even had a jumper jump out with his single point restraint still attached and he was dangling under the plane. I kept my cool and passed back a knife for him to be cut free. Ive seen students freeze up, ive been thrown up on by tandems (YURRRK!) and I have cut people out of trees! I have fitted skydiving doors to aircraft and conducted test flights with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and wrote reports on safe dropping procedures. I have trained jump pilots, I have caught tandems on landing and I have drunk many a beer after big days at the DZ. I once flew 17 loads in a Cessna 206 in one day which for those who know is a lot of loads.

I have contacted Peter via email and he has replied so his advice will be great. I am not doing static line at all, (I dont even think anyone does that here anymore) and I will have as many tandems as it takes to get my canopy skills back up to speed. Don’t think it will many tho as I always had good landings within 2m of target. I find it much easier to land a chute then a 6 tonne aircraft in a 25 knot crosswind in heavy rain at night after a 3 hour flight thru thunderstorms and on instruments only until established on the ILS and visual with the runway at 300ft and doing 120kts. Landing a parachute is one of the most enjoying things to do after doing the above mentioned 20 times or so!

Olympics sound great. Ill push you out on the way up!

Ill post my tandem tomorrow on you tube and put the link up here.

Thanks again and sleep easy, I wont jeopardize a thing, in fact, my jump is going to be on a major TV station here in Australia as to promote the sport to others so that’s another reason to do it right.

Nothing however is more important then what I have to live for, My wife and son.

Blue skies

D:),

Youir allready putting my heart at ease.

OK, I am MUCH more comfortable now... that I get a bit concrete picture of what is happening... has happened... and potentially happen.

1) Excellent that you've got the Australian association behind you.. kudos to them and you.. I would never doudt their desicions. So that helps me feel better allready.

2) your experience as a jump pilot I knew of, and the military service.. but when you told all this.. it shows a bit more then 'jump pilot' )(I know there are all kinds.. and.. well... lets leave it at that.. :S ) and the flying you have done is a bit more technically advanced then my initial impression.. as well as your parachuting experience. I would say from what you share, you are like Lonnie, or Russell or Peter, or Dana in what you know of parachutes.. in that you all know your stuff.
That also helps me feel better.
I feel a certain responsibility...
for sharing openly what I am doing here....
and someone taking it step by step and doing it... and not having the experiences in life as you have had.
i would feel a deeep disturbance if anything happened to any paraplegic skydiving and or base jumping at all.... as i would wonder if there was anything i could have said.

now i have said it all to you.. and your replies tell me you are a calculating guy, and have this figured out in your head.

that all leaves me at ease.

thanks a great deal D for writing.

I support your efforts, and do believe you will fly.. again.
i do not see an obvious obstacle to it...

go with the flow... let the instincts and advice of other experienced divers help guide you

and yah... ok perhaps it will be you...
who will jump accuracy into the paralympic opening ceremonies 2012 UK.
;)
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

One down! All went well today, AWESOME to be out there again! My pants worked well and I didnt fall out of the harness.

I now need to find out how to make some 90 deg knee braces so i hope peter can elp me with that.

Cheers

D

EXCELLENT DALE!

Welcome to the club, as Lonnie says.

Good that you and Peter have hooked up, and talking about that future dream for paraplegic skydivers....

that accuracy jump to the opening ceremonies.
I am excited for you Dale that was great leg position in FF,
;)

Here are some pics of me making my new braces for my jump.

I started by making plaster molds of my legs then i used chopstrand mat and polyester resin to make an inside mould of that.

I then broke the plaster off and did a lay up of carbon fiber over the top of the chopstrand mat mold which i then removed.

What you see is a pure carbon firber product that weighs very little but is extremely strong.

I also molded in loops for the velcro straps to pass through. so i dont have any studs, screws etc to break or catch.

I will wear these under my jump suit.

Im doing a stage 1 AFF on Friday from 14 000.

Cant wait!B|

D

very nice job-well made braces....
lets hope the angle was exactly what you will need.... but seeing your handy to make them yourself-saving TONS of $ to make them.

it all looks good... I await the first AFF dive report, and your perspective on what it felt like again, since you've been diving before so you can compare this to then....
i would find that interesting.

you, peter, n Lonnie would be excellent for the consideration of writing up a 'booklet' on info for the skydiver, what this all feels like (what is different from when you were diving with full body control)
now compared to them.
I think that info would be useful to others teaching this to new paralyzed skydivers-ones who never did dive prior to paralysis.

i don't know, maybe im wrong, but it seems like important info to gather, and record (and Lonnie n Russell, n Peter IF you READ this please consider writing up `memoirsénotes on what you feel is different for you now, and what you do to `compensate`=alter your skydiving methods-approach now after paralysis.

ok enough of that tangent.

i`ve been very cautions about being `encouraging` for other wheelies to go out there and dive, but also deep inside wish there could be a `team` of us paras n quads even skydiving to promote awareness, the `90% is mental`` part of our sport- and to be an example to others to wanting to learn and wanting to teach-that IS an issue-finding instructors-and those who say no are respected competely as same as those who say sure lets try it.
We in a way are the pioneers, perhaps Lonnie being the òldest`in the sport-(most dives pre paralysis, as well as yrs in parachuting sports) and then others coming on board (Peter, Russell,someone next-i dont know who)...
but regardless, this group whom is alive and well now, diving and are paralyzed, i think are the largest / historically and perhaps most diverse in experience and other ways.
So, this is why, I am reluctant to say quickly `yah go out there and dive, kus we all can do it so lets shove ourselves into the sport `.. no no no.
i want to encourage individuals to follow their dreams.
learn, be safe, find helpers-instructors-mentors with experience and excellent safety records... and if skydiving is the persons passion, ìf they want it bad enough they will find a way to make it happen`.. it will fit together-as it seems to be doing for you-i am glad of that... i was nervous admittedly at first until i learned and understood your past flying and diving experiences completely and the elaboration on the measures taken to maintain your safety as well as instructors... -that was a big important factor here i think we must not forget... your progression perhaps will be faster then mine is.. along the lines of Peter... lets hope so.. then you will be flying very soon on your own!

again... if those braces work `perfectly`` for the angle then i would encourage you to elaborate on your pants a bit... i think you can make this happen.
i`ve wanted to get a pair of pants that has inserts at the waist down to butt and back n sides of legs
with that stuff they put in world cup giant slalom skiers (now THAT takes balls! I`d rather skydive blind folded guided by radio then become a missile that close to land )..
it is soft and pliable at all times excapt during quick impact -like meeting the ground suddenly -
then it becomes rock hard and protects the individual as if they were kevlar-carbon fibre=something hard core-
to protect the indivual falling.

do not know the name of the stuff but do know it is fairly recent-less then 10 yrs -
addition to olympic skiers etc.
hope you know what i mean.

so, i think the `cat`s ass` for gimp diving pants would be that stuff in them to keep the pants moving freely when needed but the second you hit something hard they protect you like the most fierce armour could.

you are crafty enough to do that, if you can find a wholesaler of that product.

thanks for sharing such detailed info on what your doing, i should start documenting this all, as in, the various types-ways of pants we each fly with-since each of our pants are a bit different then the others, and our leg straps to lift are different, and who knows what else,-perhaps the way we each fly, what we do with our bodies to accomplish what we do, and then describing our `limitations`so in the future other students and instructors could over such material, and see what fits best to their situation and have options for things such as the way the braces are used -or not- etc.

ok rambling lots now,
sorry.. get a bit excited when i start to think of a new project.

YEEEE HARRR !

Jump went great, all the prep i did resulted in a perfect jump.

Off the door with 2 JMs and camera was good, and i was very stable in free fall thanks to the advice from Minna and Peter. THANK GUYS ! You rock!

Ill put some pics up when i get them and vid as well for sure.

I have 2 more jumps planed on Sunday and Monday so no stopping me now!

D

Hey Minna, Im only 8 hrs away from jumping! I better go to bed!

Speak soon with pics of my AFF!

D

NICE!!!!Dale you ROCK! now life starts again,
in being able to have the skies as your 'playground' again,
as long as we always give the utmost respect to our other playground-the ground.....

lets jump out of flying objects, boogie in the skies, n be merry in the company of the only friends we have whom we can trust with out life (after all, it is what we are doing with each diver, when we get on a load-trusting them to stick to their plan, know what their doing so they dont accidentally kill us)

for life's sake!

;)

SERIOUSLY this is totally awesome, and HUgE KUDOS to
your instructors for their dedication to helping others skydive, as well as their obviously good training and experience in their jobs.

job well done!
now, i would think it would be great to have another chapter added to this story...
that of the perspective of the instructors involved.
how was their experience different then an 'able bodied' (this brings new meaning to that expression!) student to teach.. what did you have to do different from the comparison, and how easy or difficult it was to gain this info (i.e. did they discuss this with other instructors whove taught paras to dive, about what if so, and more.
(ooh shit, there comes that tangent again-sorry D)

OK, this is VERY ENCOURAGING and definitely gives a huge confidence boost to your project.looking forward to the photos and video..