demonstalker1

Singer Class 7 harness machines

I was considering picking one up but after hearing Jerry talk about what his 132-K6 was able to do I'm not sure anymore. The other consideration is what my will might be able to do to my knees if another machine shows up here.

Do you have the machines yet or are they en-route?

-Michael

JerryBaumchen

Hi Michael,

after hearing Jerry talk about what his 132-K6

You might contact Brian Murray Mury ( BrianM on here ), he has my old 132K6. Since his is a fellow countryman, he should offer an unbiased opinion.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Also, Al MacDonald is currently rebuilding a 132K6.

Yep, I do have Jerry's old machine. I haven't done much work on it yet, but so far I really like it. It'll pull 5 cord through as many layers of Type 7 as I can fit under the foot (I think around 7 layers) without breaking a sweat.

I got the stitch length and tension set just where I want it, and I haven't had to fiddle with it since. It makes beautiful stitches. I just repaired a Javelin harness junction that was coming unstitched. The only way I could tell the new stitching from the factory stitching on the rest of the harness, is the new thread was a bit darker because it wasn't faded.

I haven't used a class 7, so I can't compare, but I can't see ever needing anything more than this 132K6 for sport harness work. And it's smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a class 7. :) Now I just gotta convince her there's room for just one more machine! :) I need a binding machine...)
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

And it's smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a class 7.

Maybe not so much cheaper.
I just saw a complete 7-33 with table,stand and motor go for $950 on Ebay.

I had a Consew 6 class (same as the 132K's) that I sold to Jim Wine.
I still have a a Consew SKZ-6 which is a double throw zig-zag machine.

In my opinion, the 132k's and Consew 6 class are OK, but the 7 class is way better.They just have more lift, more room under the arm, and usually a bigger table to hold everything on.

Jerry,
What are you using since you got rid of the 132K?

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

masterrigger1

And it's smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a class 7.

I just saw a complete 7-33 with table,stand and motor go for $950 on Ebay.

Sounds like a great deal. I normally see them go for a lot more than that.

masterrigger1

In my opinion, the 132k's and Consew 6 class are OK, but the 7 class is way better.They just have more lift, more room under the arm, and usually a bigger table to hold everything on.

I agree on all of those points (though you can put any machine on a bigger table), and if I were using it more often I might want a class 7. The 132K6 still works great though. I can get at any part of the harness easily enough, and it sews beautifully. It's a great machine for my purpose. In my case, not having the bigger table is an advantage due to limited space.

masterrigger1

Jerry,
What are you using since you got rid of the 132K?

I'm pretty sure he replaced it with a newer 132K6. I got the old one.

Hey Jerry, if you want to get rid of that 339, I'll take it too! ;)

hackish

A harness machine will complete my collection. 20U, double needle, e-tacker and harness machine. What more could a guy need?

Please don't answer that one.

Actually that sounds like a reasonably well-rounded setup. Maybe a walking foot?

I've got a Bernina 217 and the 132K6. I'm looking for a double needle, and that will probably complete my collection for the time being. I would love a bartacker but I don't have a lot of space, and for how much I would use it, it's hard to justify the cost. I can do a pretty good imitation of a bartack on the 217, it's just a bit slower.

Well, maybe a bartacker at some point down the road - how small a table can I get away with?

hackish

What is the foot lift like on the class 7 machines?

I can't answer that, but for comparison, the 132K6 has about half an inch.

Hi Brian & Mark,

I just saw a complete 7-33 with table,stand and motor go for $950

One can always find cheaper. It really comes down to what do you get for your money. The last Class 7 that sold in this area ( that I know of ) sold for $4500; yes, it was in fantastic condition. The OP has not mentioned what he is paying for the three that he is buying.

They just have more lift, more room under the arm, and usually a bigger table to hold everything on.

I can get everything that I want to sew under the 132K6 presser foot. Brian mentions seven layers of Type 7; when would anyone need more than that? More room under the arm would be better; I agree on that. I have built my own, larger tables for all of my machines; it is not that hard to do.

I'm pretty sure he replaced it with a newer 132K6. I got the old one.

Yup; as I have said before on here, I have owned three Class 7 machines and will take the 132K6 over all of them.

One feature that I really like about the 132K6 is the foot pedal presser foot lift. This allows you to lift the presser foot with your right foot and then have both hands free to control the materials that you are sewing. I suppose for enough money a Class 7 could be converted to a foot lift.

but the 7 class is way better

It really comes down to blonds or brunettes; they both will do the same for you.

Jerry Baumchen

I agree on all of those points (though you can put any machine on a bigger table)

Understood; but it would mean more money which puts you closer to the 7 class cost. In most cases you would already have a table that came with the machine, but not always.

A brand new top of the line, double thick, marine plywood 7 class table top is over $650 not including S/H BTW. That is just the top,; no stand or motor...

MEL

PS- If anyone is looking for a Consew 744-RB, PM me. I just got a call from a guy wanting to unload a pretty new one. I will put you in touch with him.

It really comes down to what do you get for your money.

As does everything, every time.

Yup; as I have said before on here, I have owned three Class 7 machines and will take the 132K6 over all of them.

Yours must have been better than the two that I owned. I have three 7 class Machines in the shop right now and have the opposite opinion. But these are two Consew 733R4's and a Consew 733R5;not Singer 7-31's or 7-33's.
Although I just agreed to purchase two more Singer 7-33's which I need to go and pick up. Those two do have a foot lift on them BTW.The lifts were put on by the previous owner.
I can post some photos later if anyone wants to see how it is done.

It really comes down to blonds or brunettes; they both will do the same for you.

Yeah, but it really boils down to if it is tall blonde or brunette or a short blonde or brunette! They all have their + and -'s ;)

MEL

BrianM

Actually that sounds like a reasonably well-rounded setup. Maybe a walking foot?

Not sure. Since I built a synchronizer for the 20U I can get through most reasonable thickness materials. I was trying to see if there was a needle feed or walking foot straight/zigzag that could replace it but no luck so far.

I would love a bartacker but I don't have a lot of space, and for how much I would use it, it's hard to justify the cost. I can do a pretty good imitation of a bartack on the 217, it's just a bit slower.

This year I sewed several hundred bartacks on my 20U. I got them to look quite consistent but ultimately it was the time. In my case where I'm doing some light production work it's just stupid to sit and manually zig-zag every single tack.

Well, maybe a bartacker at some point down the road - how small a table can I get away with?

You could get away with a table that's only a couple feet wide if you want. I'm in the process of converting a LK-1850 to a servo because the $1000 clutch is missing. It may actually go on a pedestal to be a dedicated lineset machine. Technically I own 2 tackers. Catch me on next season Discovery show "Hoarders"

hackish

What is the foot lift like on the class 7 machines?

I can't answer that, but for comparison, the 132K6 has about half an inch.

1/2" seems to be a pretty significant limit. I was nearly ready to get rid of my singer 112w140 because of lift until I realized it was out of adjustment.

I'm definitely game to see what these Class 7 machines and their prices look like...

-Michael

Hi Mark,

A brand new top of the line, double thick, marine plywood 7 class table top is over $650 not including S/H BTW. That is just the top,; no stand or motor...

I've been to your facility and there is no argument from me that you have a lot of sewing machines.

I have seven machines and have built every table myself, for a lot less than $650 per table. Yes, one can buy retail; but I'm a DIY'er; attached is a photo of my 132K6, the table is 30 x 57.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Just so people know; I consider Mark Lancaster ( MEL on here ) as one of the most knowledgeable people that I know when it comes to sewing machines. And he also will help with advice at anytime. But, I still prefer my 132K6.

Hi Brian,

I would love a bartacker but I don't have a lot of space

I have a Pfaff 3334 that I bought last year on a recommendation from Al MacDonald. The table that I built for it is 35" wide; and I could have made it smaller.

I bought this 3334 head from Herb Jaffe in New York, refurbished, modified for a 42 stitch center-start-stop for $1300 delivered. As Al said to me, 'I would do business with him again in a New York minute.'

Herb is in his 80's but he is a very ethical guy to deal with.

How much money you got? :P

Jerry Baumchen

hackish

This year I sewed several hundred bartacks on my 20U. I got them to look quite consistent but ultimately it was the time. In my case where I'm doing some light production work it's just stupid to sit and manually zig-zag every single tack.

If I start doing that many, I'll definitely get a bartacker, space or no space!

hackish

1/2" seems to be a pretty significant limit.

It depends on what you want to do with it. I can get any part of a sport harness under it. More lift always makes it easier to get things positioned, of course.

Edit: That's a nice looking 217N.

JerryBaumchen

I have a Pfaff 3334 that I bought last year on a recommendation from Al MacDonald. The table that I built for it is 35" wide; and I could have made it smaller.

Thanks for the info and the picture (you too, Michael). Good to know it can be made that small, I've always seen them on standard size tables. I could definitely fit something that small in there.

JerryBaumchen

How much money you got? :P

More than I have space! :P I can afford a tacker, but not worth spending the money for how much I'll use it at the moment. It's nice to know I can fit one in though.

Hi Brian,

How much money you got?

OK, Plan of Action. Tell the wife that you think a springtime trip to the great city of Portland, Oregon would make the perfect getaway; great restaurants, motel right on the river, micro-brew capital of the world, etc.

Drop by my place for a look-see, we'll all go have lunch and then you convince her that you do actually have room to setup some more machines.

Yes/no???????

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

JerryBaumchen

Hi Brian,
OK, Plan of Action. Tell the wife that you think a springtime trip to the great city of Portland, Oregon would make the perfect getaway; great restaurants, motel right on the river, micro-brew capital of the world, etc.

Drop by my place for a look-see, we'll all go have lunch and then you convince her that you do actually have room to setup some more machines.

Yes/no???????

Jerry Baumchen

We don't really have the type of relationship where I need permission to do stuff. If I really want a machine and would use it, and we could afford it, she'd be ok with me getting it.

Having said that, the trip would be an easy sell. She was disappointed on our trip this summer (when I picked up the 132K6) to not get to spend much time sightseeing in Portland (so was I). The waterfront hotel on Hayden Island was nice and their restaurant was great. We'd both love to return for a longer of a visit, and it's close enough to do in a weekend. I'd love to see your shop, too.

I haven't spent much time in front of a Class 7 machine, but have been using a Consew SK-6F. I like it a lot for the same reasons as Jerry; smaller table, lighter to move around, and peddle controlled foot lift. Does some nice stitching. The 1/2" foot lift has been just fine for needs.

Catch me on next season Discovery show "Hoarders"

Join the club.

Started with a Singer 500A, Moved up to 20U-33. Found smokin' deal on Bernina 217 and Consew 206. Sold 20U and 500A.

That is when I really caught the bug. Some I have multiples for parts. Some were bought with the intention to be resold.

To date:
Pfaff 130, 138
Bernina 217-6 & -8, both w/cam drives
Consew 206RB-3, SK-6F(same as Singer 132K-6), 339-RB
Juki 984 42 stitch center start stop(narrow table), 2500 series (came as package deal with 339s)
Singer 107W-1 with puller, 16-88, 31-20, 251
A couple household machines I don't remember the models.

Total count, 17? Only a few are actually set up.

Some of these are head only, some were bough just for the table and the head will be gifted.

Also either bought and resold or just sourced for friends:
4 Singer/Consew 733s.
Consew SK-6F
2 Bernina 217s
Singer 212 needle feed
Rex 16-188 walking foot

And no, I don't have a problem. I can stop buying machines any time.:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm not going to win but may place.:S Mel wins hands down.

Lets see, with purchase price.

31-15 $75
111w151 $110
111w155 $145
Singer 7-33 $1700 (back when they were going for more, sews nice)
Pfaff 145 walking foot like 206RB uses size 190 needles:S $35
Consew 199-2r $800
Pfaff 238 $500
Pfaff 238 $350
Bernina 217n 6mm with cam $750
Bernina 217n 8mm $400
Juki ddl-227 $300
Singer 212 double needle $400?
Singer 144A305 30" arm walking foot $600
Juki 1900A HS like new gov. liq. $1900
Singer 29-4 restoration project with intact stand

I think that's it for commercial machines, although I always seem to forget one. 2 or 3 home machine including a viking that zig zags 6 layer of type 4 for toggles better than any of the commercial machines.

I tried to figure out if I could move the cam to the 8mm for a few minutes but didn't come to a conclusion. Some where in the sales brochure it seemed like they might be specific to each width machine. Anybody know?

There's a 132 on ebay right now in S.C.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-132K6-EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-WALKING-FOOT-SADDLES-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-/141825865957?hash=item21057af8e5:g:JCIAAOSwxH1ULvsH

This one is down the road trying hard to resist. Has been on ebay twice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUKI-DDL-5550-Sewing-Machine-and-table-/331713573015?hash=item4d3bab7097:g:OuYAAOSwhcJWNYC-

This class 7 is on auction right now about 5 hours from me. I'm sure this was on auction before. I bid a little while on it. Must have fallen through.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=10321881&convertTo=USD

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Jerry,
That 132K is just 10 minutes up the road from me.

In fact I have to go up there this week to buy some more machines for a sewing machine repair class that I am giving in two weeks for the Military.
...So if someone wants me to check it out for them let me know.

MEL

JerryBaumchen

Hi Terry,

132 on ebay

One thing I noticed is that the rod from the right side pedal to the arm to lift the presser foot is missing.

This type of stuff scares me when buying without seeing it or trying it out.

Jerry Baumchen

It may be that the previous user just used the hand lever. The second 217 I just got didn't have a knee lifter.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

This class 7 is on auction right now about 5 hours from me. I'm sure this was on auction before. I bid a little while on it. Must have fallen through.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=10321881&convertTo=USD

I looked at this one when it first went up but the pictures were not clear and the fact they called it a double needle made me think it was some sort of custom modified machine. I'll try to get some time playing with a class 7 machine then decide if the 132k6 would be better.

-Michael