sight_burner

small people/dwarfs= skydiving?????

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and now im looking for some constructive input. To the best of my knowledge there isn't many or if even that any dwarfs/small people skydiving. Now is this because manufactures won't produce the special gear needed, hard to train do to the sever weight difference, it would scare a hell alot of people to have so many sub 100 canopies out there [do to the weight differance] , ect ect, or is there just not any interest with skydiving because of this not disability but special needs approach. Now i'm sure i'm missing something but to me it seems absolutely possible and cheaper on the gear/production side of things. Well like I said this has been driving me crazy for some time so if anybody can give some insight I would appreciate it..

I don't care about fame I just want people to know my name qote ( Andrew Cebuhar)

the thread is dead

I have never seen a "small person" skydiving. That doesnt mean there arent any. I have jumped with several very short folks, men and women.
Im quite sure that if your arms are long enough to pull steering toggles there is a canopy for you.
As for gear....the manuf. will make a harness to fit you. Its what they do.
I think the first step is for you to show up at the drop zone.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Little Bruce is pretty damn short, but I dont' think i could consider him a dwarf???? Maybe it's just that the percentage of people who skydive is pretty small, and the percentage of "small" people is very, very, very small, so the lack of overlap is probably just due to chance????

Just my guess.... Ask Little Bruce.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I don't know. By the time you put the three ring and the main lift web together with the appropriate stitch patterns you wouldn't have much room for handles. I've seen rigs for 5' women that were all handle. Try to scale that down to 3' 8" and I don't know if you could put it together. The harness would still have to match current TSO'd drawings and strength requirements. I imagine it would be comparable to a tandem rig on a 5' person. Using the smaller reserve handles and a scaled down cutaway pillow might help.

Modifications could be made to the steering lines and risers to place them closer to the shoulder end. They would still have to be long enough to get the links to the container. Do the same thing to the reserve would need approval.

But what do you do for student gear? Multiple special rigs for down sizing? It would have to be a very special rig just for the first jump. Maybe the first step would be a custom tandem harness.

And I'm not sure how a lightly loading 100 sq ft canopy would fly. We know that a lightly loading 135 is still twitchier than a 200 loaded the same.

Hmmm it would be an interesting excercise.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There was a young lady named Shelby that worked in an administrative capacity at Perris Valley around 1992. Sandy Reid made her a custom rig tp do AFF - I was training at his facility (the in Hemet, CA) when some minor alterations were being made.

Also, the attached picture shows Tampa DJ Dave The Dwarf doing a tandem at Z Hills.
Arrive Safely

John