GoneCodFishing

Scaling brake length adjustments

Here's a question about something i've been mulling over.

Is there a rule of thumb of sorts to 'carry on' brake line length adjustments in different sized same model canopies?

For example, if i shorten or lenghten 2 inches on a 150, then on a 135 i would:

a/ Shorten/lengthen 2 inches as the factory setting will all have the same amount of slack in the lines.

b/ Shorten/lengthen as a proportion of the brake line length. So if the brake lines on the 135 are 9/10ths of the ones in the 150 then i'd shorten/lengthen them by 9/10ths of 2 inches. This assumes shorter lines will have less slack, which i figure is wrong.

c/ Or it simply cannot be guessed as the manufacturer may actually leave more or less slack in different sizes that may not be quite 'linear'?

I lengthened the lower steering lines of all my canopies so far by roughly 5-8 inches to avoid any tail input when pulling down the front riser. I use 24" riser btw.
All of them were PD canopies, ranging from a Spectre 170, Sabre 2, different Katanas down to a Velo 90. I have long arms and could still pretty much stall them all effortlessly.

I testjumped them all before any adjustments to figure out the required lenght I needed to add.
From my experience the smaller the canopy the longer I had to make the lower steering lines to get the desired result.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

councilman24

It also depends.on how you want.to fly each canopy. Holding toggles while front risering.or not.

Assuming the same flying style in both canopies, then that shouldn't matter should it?

If the risers are the same with the guide rings in the same position, you need the same amount of line to reach the risers and pull them regardless of canopy size. The slack you need is the distance from guide ring to the lower position of the front riser when pulled. So if that distance is, lets say 12 inches, then you need 12 inches of slack regardless if you are flying a 120 or a 135.

Distance from guide ring to front risers might be a little shorter in a smaller canopy due to less spread from the shorther chord, but that would probably be negligible.

You are over-thinking the question.
Jump your canopy a few times with the factory setting.
Decide which direction to adjust the steering lines (longer or shorter).
Adjust steering lines.
Jump it a few more times.
Decide if you are happy with the new setting.

GoneCodFishing

***It also depends.on how you want.to fly each canopy. Holding toggles while front risering.or not.

Assuming the same flying style in both canopies, then that shouldn't matter should it?

If the risers are the same with the guide rings in the same position, you need the same amount of line to reach the risers and pull them regardless of canopy size. The slack you need is the distance from guide ring to the lower position of the front riser when pulled. So if that distance is, lets say 12 inches, then you need 12 inches of slack regardless if you are flying a 120 or a 135.

Distance from guide ring to front risers might be a little shorter in a smaller canopy due to less spread from the shorther chord, but that would probably be negligible.

I think councilman24 means if you do not have the same flying style. The extra dots here and there is probably because he posted on a phone.
So if you do use the fronts you need to lenghten them, and if you do not use the fronts you can have "french" lenghts on the brakelines.

Oh, right. My bad, i misunderstood i think.

No problems here understanding what different effects different length settings have, and have my preferred set up nailed for me. Was just wondering if there was a relationship between canopy size/line lenght and brake line length/factory slack if within a particular model.

I guess the answer is probably not. Or maybe. Or sometimes yes sometimes not, or whatever :ph34r: