Okanagan_Jumper

Noisy Collapsible Slider

Hello. First forum post here ("Beer!").

I just purchased a complete brand new (0 jumps) rig from a friend. Unfortunately the collapsible slider (canopy: Pulse 150) flaps excessively and noisily when I collapse it. I am worried about the wear this is causing. The risers have caps which I believe prevent me from bringing the slider down and behind my neck, which I haven't done before (I'm at 570 jumps). The portions of the slider outboard of the slider ties inflate and this is what is flapping.

Question: is this normal? And will it go away as the slider gets more use? I have 15 jumps on the setup.

Thank you

John

The loose material that is bunched up after the slider is collapsed will flap around and make noise. That's normal and won't go away. Depending on the type of links you have, those "caps" are bumpers of some sort. if you have soft links and mini risers then you should be able to pull the slider onto the risers but it's not necessary. Everything causes wear so yes technically that flapping causes some wear but it's really not a concern.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Okanagan_Jumper

Hello. First forum post here ("Beer!").

I just purchased a complete brand new (0 jumps) rig from a friend. Unfortunately the collapsible slider (canopy: Pulse 150) flaps excessively and noisily when I collapse it. I am worried about the wear this is causing. The risers have caps which I believe prevent me from bringing the slider down and behind my neck, which I haven't done before (I'm at 570 jumps). The portions of the slider outboard of the slider ties inflate and this is what is flapping.

Question: is this normal? And will it go away as the slider gets more use? I have 15 jumps on the setup.

Thank you

John

If you do start to pull the slider down be cautious about accidentally un-stowing a brake.

The flapping will very likely cause damage to your Vectran lines, just above the Slinks. Those pilgrim hats that come with Slinks don't protect your lines.

Nobody has a fantastic solution to this issue yet... there are some ideas that help but no bees knees ideas that I've seen yet.

No canopy manufacturers seem to care in any way that their brand new canopy sliders eat up canopy lines in 1/2 the expected time. We didn't have this issue with Spectra, because Spectra handles abrasion very well. HMA and Vectran are weak in this department, so they should be protected in areas that will experience constant friction.

parachutist

The flapping will very likely cause damage to your Vectran lines, just above the Slinks. Those pilgrim hats that come with Slinks don't protect your lines.

Nobody has a fantastic solution to this issue yet... there are some ideas that help but no bees knees ideas that I've seen yet.

No canopy manufacturers seem to care in any way that their brand new canopy sliders eat up canopy lines in 1/2 the expected time. We didn't have this issue with Spectra, because Spectra handles abrasion very well. HMA and Vectran are weak in this department, so they should be protected in areas that will experience constant friction.

Where did it say he had slinks or vectran lines? Did I miss that?

mcordell

I was mixing some fact with a little assuming: The OP mentioned riser caps, which sound like the pilgrim hats that come with Slinks. Also it's a brand new canopy which means 95% probable it came with new PD Slinks. Then I was curious which line types a Pulse is offered with, so I looked at an order form, and Vectran is the only choice listed.

Seeing this scenario often in real life with new canopies from a few manufacturers probably made my brain jump to the conclusion that this Pulse is just like all the rest. Usually the lines will look great after 175 jumps... except for the area at the soft links where's it's fraying already and therefore needing a reline soon.

Chris

parachutist

I was mixing some fact with a little assuming: The OP mentioned riser caps, which sound like the pilgrim hats that come with Slinks. Also it's a brand new canopy which means 95% probable it came with new PD Slinks. Then I was curious which line types a Pulse is offered with, so I looked at an order form, and Vectran is the only choice listed.

Seeing this scenario often in real life with new canopies from a few manufacturers probably made my brain jump to the conclusion that this Pulse is just like all the rest. Usually the lines will look great after 175 jumps... except for the area at the soft links where's it's fraying already and therefore needing a reline soon.

Chris

Oh ok gotcha. I guess I didn't realize vectran was the only option. I figured it may be standard but you could choose something else if you wanted. Fair enough!

take the slink hats off, and pull your slider groms down to the bottom of the risers. get a mag stow slider retainer to keep the slider behind your head. it takes a few jumps to get used to this, but it will stop a lot of the flapping, and wear on the lines.