Andy_Copland

Radios & AFF

Is there any reason the instructors dont mention that a radio could be a snag point? Is it to stop them subconsciously turning their head on opening?

Would you suggest putting radios on the left hand side of helmets as i've seen some students physically look right towards the handle?

Just some random Tuesday thinking.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Is there any reason the instructors dont mention that a radio could be a snag point? Is it to stop them subconsciously turning their head on opening?

Would you suggest putting radios on the left hand side of helmets as i've seen some students physically look right towards the handle?

Just some random Tuesday thinking.

I guess I hadn't thought about the potential. I'm not sure about how it's done elsewhere but at our DZ we have wide, soft pouches attached to the helmet to hold the radio. It's a very flush fit with no real snag potential. I suppose that if you were to use a hard mount that it might present a problem. Anyone ever heard of an entanglement?

>Were there any incidents in the past to make you change to
>this method of communication or was it simply common sense?

Just sort of the tradition there, and we had few problems with it. Our worst problems were the wires getting tangled - but that was a problem we could fix on the ground.

Mine was on my chest strap in a small pouch...problem solved.

But yes, I would say it is a snag point. I guess it's the risk any DZ that mounts it to the helmet takes.

Chris

Yeah, our DZ does the same. Pouch mounted to the rig in a place that it is relativly out of the way.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

We put radios on the chest strap. Very little chance of snagging.

Preferably in a pouch on the arm with earphones.

A radio to the chin during openings happens sometimes when an ill fitting student harness is used. That also goes for chest mount altimeters. Hopefully people aren't using them for students anymore.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Every school I have worked at in the past decade has put the radio in a CYPRES pouch on the chest strap. Two-way radios, that way if a student lands off they can inform you that they are OK (or injured), in a tree, or whatever. And you aren't playing "marco polo" looking for them if they are in that tree.

Chuk