RedBaron

Single best Skydiving book...?

DZ'ers,

I've recently completed my AFF training, and I was wondering - based on your knowledge and learning...WHAT IS THE SINGLE BEST BOOK ON SKYDIVING TECHNIQUE AND TRAINING?

Please chime in! I know I may get different answers, and I may wind up buying several books, but extra knowledge never hurt, and I want to do this right. ;)
Red Baron
www.kneeriders.com

You need to be more specific... ;)

If I had to pick the best book that I have read it would be Brian G.'s book "Parachute and its Pilot".

There may be books out there that contain concepts or instruction that will make me better in freefall, but I think safely landing my parachute and being able to jump again will have a better overall effect on my ability. :D That is where the knowledge contained in this book, along with practice, comes in.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

You need to be more specific... ;)

If I had to pick the best book that I have read it would be Brian G.'s book "Parachute and its Pilot".

There may be books out there that contain concepts or instruction that will make me better in freefall, but I think safely landing my parachute and being able to jump again will have a better overall effect on my ability. :D That is where the knowledge contained in this book, along with practice, comes in.

hmmm...Good point DougH! Personally I need to improve my landings. This may be a useful read for me.
Kneepuff
Girls just wanna have fuh hun!

This is pretty far from the original post subject, but how many jumps do you have? In my less than experinced opinion the best way to improve your landings is twofold. First have an experinced instructor tape them and break them down with you so that you have some idea of what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Second do your practice flares up high, they will really help.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

i'll have to agree that G's book is the single best skydiving book,, but you gotta completely read the book before you attempt any manuvore such as "over the hill method",,,
and make sure you stay sober when you read this book,,,it is not fun in the mid air going "oh i forgot to read next step"...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

This is pretty far from the original post subject, but how many jumps do you have? In my less than experinced opinion the best way to improve your landings is twofold. First have an experinced instructor tape them and break them down with you so that you have some idea of what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Second do your practice flares up high, they will really help.

I have 9 jumps. Just completed the AFF training. Each landing was video taped so that we could study and learn from them. I tended to flare too high so I'll work on that. Plus I did the fanny landings which I want to change.

I looked on Amazon.com for the book you mentioned but couldn't find it. Do you have any idea where we can find it? Thanks!
Kneepuff
Girls just wanna have fuh hun!

Try "The skydivers Survival Guide". Aimed at people who have done AFF (as you have). I have 60 jumps and have read it cover to cover twice. Very, very highly recommended and not at all patronising. (funny in places too.)

I found "The skydivers Handbook" ok but very dated. There has been an attempt to bring it up to date but the more recent stuff is obviously tacked on to a much older book. All sorts of stuff in there about static line and round parachutes. Pictures of massive five cell mains etc. Fine for background reading but not all that relevant.

there is no "single best book" on anything. if you want to learn anything take your time and read everything you can get your hands on. once you have finished this task you'll have a lot af book-knowledge, but little hands-on-knowledge.

so my advice would be: read a lot but don't forget to discuss what you've read with your instructors, mentors or other jumpers

btw: getting a friggin big log and filling it with jumps sounds like a good idea :)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

there is no "single best book" on anything.
------------------------------------------------------

So true. Many people want a quick solution - Single Book, Perfect Canopy, Miracle Jumpsuit. The best way to get knowledge is reading all you can from many sources. The best way to get skill is practice, practice, practice.

Oh yeah, those pills that make you lose weight and grow a bigger penis - They don't work either. :(

I guess it depends on what discipline you're considering but my vote goes to Pat Works' "The Art of Freefall Relative Work". http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/208.html

although it may be dated a bit Pat had a way of explaining the forces and energy at work that just clicked.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I have even less experience than you, but I recently read "The Skydivers Survival Guide" and I thought it was really good, lots of good info on how to be safe, but it wont necessarily improve your say........free flying, it doesn't really have any of that.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

It's a very readable book, and a lot of the principles still hold today (such as the instruction on how to close fourth for novices), but it's VERY dated (1975)

For example it says somewhere that "its a good idea if someone on the load has an altimeter and knows how to use it."

Some techniques described were suitable for the old days using DC-3s and chest reserves but would put modern novices at a disadvantage.

I guess it depends on what discipline you're considering but my vote goes to Pat Works' "The Art of Freefall Relative Work". http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/208.html

although it may be dated a bit Pat had a way of explaining the forces and energy at work that just clicked.

If you plan to build a library of skydiving books, one good book that is not mentioned yet is Brian Germain's "The Parachute And Its Pilot" at bigairsportz.com -- although don't actually exercise the swooping section of the book (except at high play altitude) until you've got hundreds of consistent, good ordinary landings. :)