Hellian

Costs of equipment.....

I know that there are going to be a lot of different second hand deals regarding equipment, but basically, this summer hopefully i'll do my AFF but will never be able to afford my own gear, b/c i have to have at least £1000 for university.
So: How much does a brand new jumpsuit cost?, and do "new" jumpers get RW suits with the hand grips? or is there a more basic suit?
Helmet cost?
Altimeters?
b/c i would like to have these equipment even if i am jumping a hired rig from the DZ... so i need to work out how much i have to work before the summer ;)
Here's to saving like hell....
Ed

If you want a proper RW suit figure at least $150. You don't really need an RW suit though. If you want to jump with other people some loose coveralls might do for a while.
Altimeters are normally $120-$200 new depending on brand and hand vs. chest mount. Chest mount is normally more. You might be able to get a used altimeter for as little as $50.
Helmets are anywhere from $40 for a Protec (open face) to $300 for a fancy full face.

Thanx for the info i'll go check those urls when i get home..
one thing though, when people refer to a "jumpsuit" what are they in particualr referring to? i "know" that freefly suits are very baggy (correct if wrong :P) but if i merely want to get into some solo flying and a few 2 or 3 ways... (i really don't know at this point, all i know is i wanna fly ;)) then will the coveralls suffice?
Ed

I've been looking for coveralls to wear as my "jumpsuit" for a while now. You know how hard it is to find them? Nobody carries them. I mean nobody. Coveralls and a sweatshirt/long-sleeved-t-shirt would be just dandy for me.
Meantime I generally jump jeans & sweatshirt/long-sleeved-t.
Works for me. ;)
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

While you are going through AFF, you can (and should) use the dz's jumpsuits and helmet and altimeter. I would recommend your first purchase be a pair of goggles and gloves. Relatively inexpensive, and a good investment. You don't want to be stuck with goggles that don't fit properly or someone else's gnarly sweaty gloves which also may not fit.
After you graduate, if you plan to do RW, you should get a jumpsuit with grippers, sized to fit you, with a cut and fabric to match up with your fall rate needs. If you fall faster, a looser suit, high drag fabric. If you are floaty, a tight suit, more slick material. You won't know what you need til you have a few jumps under your belt.
If you are lucky, you may be able to find a used suit which will work for you.
Make a decision on your helmet after you graduate and decide what kind of skydiving you want to spend most of your time doing.
Blue skies!

Thanx for the reply, i already have my own goggles because i have done 14 jumps last year, (over one year since i left the realm of whuffos :o ) I think i will get some gloves hopefully (nothing certain yet, although i do have the cash....) when i go to do AFF. We shall see though, i should have enough to get my own jumpsuit and light weight helmet, then for my 18th in december try and convince my parents to buy me a second hand rig until i get out of university and start earning....
here's to years of scrimping and saving :D
Ed

Hellian/Ed:
It's been over a year since you were a Wuffo . . . your 18th in December . . . Did you start jumping at 16?? Scrimping and Saving . . . can we say responsible, young adult here . . .Geesh, when I grow up I want to be just like you!!
Oh, to be young again (maybe not that young)!!
Divadiver

Thanx for the reply, i already have my own goggles

He he he...I bought my goggles after my AFF1 simply b/c I'm really weird about things touching my face and I couldnt' STAND wearing the student goggles on AFF1. Weird, huh? I love the wind, water, ext. on my face but if anyone tries to touch my face I go crazy. Not sure why, just always been like that.....so goggles are a GREAT thing to have of your own is my point:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

first things i bought were an alti, goggles, and gloves. I'm wierd about having sensitive hands so i wore gloves even in the summer. You can pick up a suit from a gear store (used or even new- I got one that was made for someone but didn't fit correctly. really cheap, great for those first landings when demoing new gear). After I finally got my own gear and was happy with my landings, etc, then got a custom suit made. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Most of our student goggles were beat up and crappy, so goggles were my first purchase, after AFP 3. And there is the YUK factor of wearing something on your face that someone else just took off.
I don't think that's wierd at all, Carrie! Goggles are kind of a personal item, in my opinion.

Hellian/Ed:
It's been over a year since you were a Wuffo . . . your 18th in December . . . Did you start jumping at 16?? Scrimping and Saving . . . can we say responsible, young adult here . . .Geesh, when I grow up I want to be just like you!!
Oh, to be young again (maybe not that young)!!
Divadiver

now, i think this is a good thing :) didn't do my first s/l till 19th Feb though, crap weather :(
But, well, yeah i've been saving up quite a bit :)As for the others, i get that thing with my face too, i wear contacts sometimes so i have no problem touching my eyes, but putting on someone else's sweaty goggle.... euw
Hehe, anyway, i worked out i have enough money (hopefully) for AFF + 20 jumps in Spain, some back here to stay current, and a jumpsuit at around £100 ($160)
Thx for the replies :)Ed