Hellian

AFF.... AIF ..... AFP ... ??

Ok, i have heard mention all these different names for freefall courses, and i presume they are all based on hte "standard" which is AFF, or am i wrong?
I know that in the UK AFF is (could be slightly wrong) 3jumps with two JM's 4 with one, and a QJ from 7k'
But, in Spain the first jump is a tandem, then 3 with 2JM 3 with 1JM and a hop n pop to qualify (once more may be slightly wrong ;))
So what are these AFP and AIF, are they better? cheaper? worth considering doing that instead of either the Uk or Spanish versions of AFF ?
Me very confused :o
Please enlighten me :)Blue Skies, safe landings...
Ed

Also with AFP you make two tandems in the begining and then you jump with one instructor. During AFP you learn different exits and some RW. The idea of the AFP is when you are done you're ready to get your "A" (you might need 3 jumps if I remember correctly). It is a great program.

AFP vs. AFF - I don't know what AIF is.
AFP is a 20 jump program leading up to the A-license. It could be much like the next official AFF program since the person behind it (Roger Nelson) is now on the USPA board. AFP includes 2 tandem jumps, a hop and pop, and one free solo jump in addition to 16 jumps with instructors. The program costs more than AFF but not that much more when you consider a couple of things - 1) all jumps are on video and 2) you rarely repeat a level. AFP includes RW and freefly (sitfly) training and from my experience jumping with non-AFP A-licensees produces a better 3-dimensional jumper.
I don't know of any dropzones that do both AFP and AFF - only a few do AFP. They include: Skydive Chicago, Skydive America Palm Beach, and Skydive Spaceland.
For more info check out:
http://www.skydivechicago.com/instruction/compare.htm

I admit I'm biased, I did AFP.
-mb

I am fairly certain that i read about AIF somewhere on these boards... but not 100%
anyway, thanx very much about the information regarding AFP Mattb, useful to know, but in my case being in england, andnot old enough to jump at those Dz's anyway ;)
I think AFF should suit me fine, and then i guess i'll learn the other stuff afterwards. To be honest, once i go to university i hopefully should be 12 miles away from a DZ :)
Who here did AFF? did they enjoy it or find it a pressuring not nesecarily (sp?) fun time?
Ed

In Canada it's known as PFF(progressive freefall). I learned to skydive IAD (instructor assisted deployment). Then I went to GFF (gradual freefall - 5 second delay, 10 second delay, etc). Now I'm a BAD ASS skydiver (well, working towards it, anyway ;))

>Who here did AFF? did they enjoy it or find it a pressuring not nesecarily (sp?) fun time?
>
> Ed
Hey Ed, I went through AFF and looking back I thought it was great. I had alot of fun!! I would have to admitt, there was some preasure jumping with a jumpmaster who could very well fail you and make you repeat a jump, and you are also trying something new on every jump. Its hard to find a "comfortable routine" early on because of all of the different tasks you must complete on each dive. I can remember on my very first tandem, I dont think I would have been able to spell my own name after the exit. I was like ready....set........duhhhhh. (hee hee) On the next tandem, they had me simulate the dive flow for my first solo dive and I remember thinking "you want me to touch what, the rip cord? After we exit? How many times? We have to exit backwards?" I found after the first few dives it helped a bunch to read the SIM during the week and be well prepared for my next dive on the weekend.