freaksister

Bad Eyesight and Skydiving

Has anybody with this problem found ANYTHING that worked? My vision is now 20/30, but depth perception still sucks the big one.

Yey! Thank you PLFKing. Maybe our similar flare problems caused us both to pick the same name as well. Everyone tells me as they tell you, that standing up will come in time. Actually, I went all day on Saturday standing up but only b/c I waited until "OMG, I'm going to crash" before I flared...ha ha ha. Nobody seems to think my very poor depth perception has anything to do with it but you just made me feel a WHOLE lot better. Thank you:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Hey Kingy... Still out there! I assume that all those irate mommys & daddys haven't caught up with you. Is that why you're now posting as anonymous? Are you hoping to become the "D.B. Cooper" of skydiving into day care centres?
Just remind me... What nationality are you? (it's been a while) I tried making a small constructive criticism of our South African friends a while back but no-one bit!
Mike D10270.

OK Sis, my eyesight stinks big time. I'm now in my late forties and I've been wearing bi-focals since I was 7 or 8. I'm short sighted to buggery and have an astigmatism that my optometrist calls spectacular. On my last visit, about 6 months ago, I asked about LASIK and he said "what you ! what a joke". I took that to mean that my eyes weren't suitable...:-) Looks like I get to stick with glasses. I don't find them a problem because all of my "seeing" life I've needed glasses, and heavy ones at that. (Lighter now thanks to Ziess-Ikon glass) My advice is to get either prescription sports goggles, which are VERY good, or stick with a pair of daggy PLASTIC lens glasses. Daggy because you want frames that allow a LOT of lens in front of you eyes. This'll help with peripheral vision. For goggles have a look at http://www.sportrx.com/all_skydiving.html .
The landing problem...:-) I had the problem of flareing about 15 feet too high ( i'mm 55 kilos under a Saphire 230 so no real problem...:-) ) so I asked an instructor about what to do. He said DON'T flare until you are thinking..OH...SHiiiiiiT. That should be about right. In my case this got the flare down to about 8 or 10 feet too high. Instructor said "better, in fact MUCH better but next jump wait till Ohhhhhh FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK and you should have it about right...:-) Works for me......
Ooroo
Mark F...
Edited by MarkF on 3/10/01 05:29 PM.

Iflyme wrote :-
Hey, Mark, nice to see you here on the new DZ.com ... how did your airshow experience wrap up (I enjoyed the pix you posted in the final days of the old forum!)?
Frank
Well I've just about got the digital images sorted out. There's about 10,000 of 'em. Got about a dozen real good keepers. As for the film..... Well I've finished the processing ( 91 rolls Ekatachrome 64 ) and I'm starting to grow the skin back on my fingers (chemicals) so now all I have to do is mount the buggers and look at 'em. If my strike rate holds good it means that in total I'll get 15 or 20 REAL good shots. A most satisfactory outcome. The final outcome is that so far I've got my investment ( passes, accreditation, transport, film, processing.....) well and truly back which is a good thing as I expect the returns from that event and another (Grand Prix) to pay for my skydiving till next year.
Anyway now that I've got a bit of time I s'pose I'll have to get http://members.optushome.com.au/forsythm/ cranked up. After all I've nothing else to do, apart from housework, shopping, serviceing the car etc. There's no hope of jumping, the weather sucks...
Ooroo
Mark F...

There's no hope of jumping, the weather sucks...

Hold on a second ... if the spots Tourism Australia run on our local tv station are true, it's NEVER anything less that fab in Oz... you know, 'shrimp on the barby and all that rot...:)I'll visit your photos page when you've got the pix up!
Oroooo (loved your Olympics - one of our local guys won the triathalon! And we had a dance group from some "Port Something" in town a few weeks back - they were great)... Frank

Iflyme wrote :-
Hold on a second ... if the spots Tourism Australia run on our local tv station are true, it's NEVER anything less that fab in Oz... you know, 'shrimp on the barby and all that rot...
I'll visit your photos page when you've got the pix up!
Oroooo (loved your Olympics - one of our local guys won the triathalon! And we had a dance group from some "Port Something" in town a few weeks back - they were great)... Frank
Yeah but the TV ads don't show the south-eastern Australian late summer WIND. It's never that strong, about 20 or 25 knots...:-) Otherwise blue skies and warm air. When the only problem with the weather is that it's a few knots too windy it can be said that the weather truly sucks...:-)
i've stuck a few pics up, some are airshow and some aren't, they're the piccies that I use in my screen saver..:-) As time permits I'll put up some more airshow stuff...
The olympics were indeed great. If you lived away from Sydney. For the average person the cost of living for about 2 months went up about 25 to 30% depending on the suburb they live in. Me ? I live in Melbourne...:-)
Ooroo
Mark F...

I *_TRY_* not to bite when people say things like that about our weather. WE have more days of sunshine than any other Australian capital city except, believe it or not, Hobart...
Remember our weather may not be the best at all times BUT we did get rid of Jeff...:-) (Aussies will understand)
Ooroo
Mark F...
Weather's MUCH better but the office doesn't have a jump 'plane...:-(

Any of you out there with just god-awful vision? I have to wear hard (gas-permeable) contacts because my vision is SO bad that soft contacts won't correct it enough! The smallest tiniest speck of dirt or mascara, or a single eyelash, and my eye starts to water like Niagra Falls, I can't see s**t and I have to go to the bathroom and take it out, clean it, blah blah blah.....
I want to have LASIK surgery but its $2500 per eye! Not only do I not have that much money, I can't finance it, either.

I used to have 20/400 vision, and wore soft contacts(-4.50).. I had one pop out in freefall 2 separate times.. I was always paranoid about both coming out at the same time.. Well, about 4 months ago, I went up to Toronto for LASIK.. I lived in Cleveland, so it wasn't very far, plus the surgeon up there is one of the most experienced in the world.. Plus, he did LASIK for 3 friends of mine(all pilots), all with excellent results.. Being a pilot, my vision is, of course, extremely important.. It took me a long time to make the decision, and I'm happy as hell that I did.. My vision is now 20/15 in each eye, and I can read the 20/12 line with both eyes.. It's great not having to worry about contacts, not being able to see without 'em, etc... Oh, and my LASIK was $999 for BOTH eyes.. I know it is much cheaper than $2500 per eye here in the US - I have seen it for $2,000 for both eyes all over the country.. Look around, you should be able to find someplace.. Make sure it's a good, reputable place, though.. LASIK is not something you want to skimp on - you just need to find a good place for a good price..
Mike

I HAD god-awful eyesight until I had my LASIK. I went from about 20/400 to 20/20 to 20/25 just about overnight.
The cost is no longer $2500 / eye Sis. Mine was $1400 total (I got a group kinda deal thing, but I think their usual price is $799 / eye,,,less than a new rig).
Come see me this weekend at SD Dallas (the tall packer dude) and I'll tell ya all about it.
The worst part about it is the 6 weeks of no jumping!

My doctor told me not to jump for 12 weeks - I told him he was nuts.. I countered with a week.. We agreed on 4 weeks.. :)
I paid $999US up in Toronto, and have to say, I have not regretted it for a second.. Almost 4 months has passed.. I had halos and starburst at night for about 3 days, but cleared up after that.. After a week, there was no residual halo or starburst problem.. No pain, no side effects..

> i assume that anonymous is you mark f
> hope u new i was joking :-)
Yep I knew that...:-)
> thats only cause its been pissen down over here :-) well > how come everone say that melbournes always rainen then ??
You're a Queenslander right ? Of course it's raining, it's the bloody WET season after all and admittedly this year it's been pretty damn WET. Northeast NSW seems to have copped HEAPS this time. Kempsey's still swimming...:-) ( for you foreigners, swimming somehow seems to suit Kempsey) While on the weather subject, it never ceases to amaze me that the Nationals are held in QLD in the middle, well maybe not quite the middle, of the wet season....:-)
And don't you know anything ? In Melbourne it only rains / blows / becomes unjumpable on weekends...:-) Weekdays are perfect, gives us something to moad about to our workmates. You know..."I couldn't (insert activity here), the weather sucked BIG time on Sat. and was Worse on Sun. Now it's Monday and LOOK at it. PERFECT..AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH"
Ooroo
Mark F...

just checken us aussies got to stick together.
it only rained for about half the days of the nationals :-) but hey its still a great dz mayby i am a bit biased though :-)
so u just got shit weekends who cares about the week ... unless your on the dole