skreamer

your first cutaway

Jump: #69. Place: Zhills.
The skydive hadn't gone particularly well. My sit had gone into a head down that was a little out of control and dangerous. Went flat at 5k & pulled at ~3800 as per the dive plan.
What happened next wasn't too good. I had a line-over out of the bag. Watched the canopy deploying from the bag and it didn't look good at this point. Continued to watch the LH side of the canopy stay packed and the RH side starting to unfold.
My thought process at this stage was "THAT doesn't look good - it's a line-over/tangly mess". The RH side of the canopy popped open and started to drive forwards, the LH side was still a ball. Next thing, it dives into a LH spiral. About 3/4 of a turn into it the thought process was "I'm out of here".
Followed the drills exactly to the letter including shouting out loud whilst performing the actions. Nothing like stress to make you follow what you were taught. Next thing I know there's this grey canopy above me - beautiful little thing!
Felt pretty shaken when I got down and I didn't want to jump anymore that day. It was pretty late in the afternoon by this stage, so I just bought the beer and blathered on about it all evening. Everyone just let me get on with recounting the story to anyone that'd listen - THANKS GUYS!!
The next day I really didn't want to jump and hung around helping everyone else. The sunset was looking like it was gonna be beautiful. One of the girls asked if I'd go and jump with her (she wanted to get me back in the air again). MAN was I sh1t scared on the climb to altitude. The door opened and I was almost shaking! We did a two way sit with a cool sunset. Broke off and man was I nervous about pulling! Threw the PC out and everything was fine. I WAS SO RELIEVED!!!
The next 5 or so jumps were still scarier than normal but I'm back to my normal (!??!) self now!
Sorry to waffle, but I was reliving it as I typed... :-)
B.

jump# 20....june 20th 1999. place: skydive greene county, xenia, ohio
i lost a stearing line (the toggle came off in my hand) and didn't have the knowlage to steer and flare with my rear risers so i choped it. perfect reserve depoyment. landed a little off the dz,(corn field) and they found my main and freebag. i was up in the air about an hour later with some rental gear!
<>

*why did you have to chop?
Line over malfunction (courtesy of my packer)
*what are your recollections of the skydive (from exit to landing the reserve)
I was filming a tandem skydive when it was my turn to deploy. After I threw my pilot chute, I looked up to watch the main canopy open, when I noticed the line over. After a couple attempts to clear it I decided that I didnt have the altitude to keep trying so I looked at my handles, cutaway, and pulled the chrome. After the reserve was out, I turned my camera off, tucked my handles in my jumpsuit, flew to the landing area, landed safely on my feet, and finished filming the tandem on their landing.
*how soon after did you skydive again?
The very next load.
*what was your state of mind on your next skydive?
I didnt think about the previous cutaway, I was filming another tandem so I focused on my video work.
*how did your family react when you told them about it (you did tell them didn't you???)
My family still think Im nuts, especially since I told them by showing the video already dubbed over to music and slaow motion.

My cutaway was my 2nd static line jump. I had a line over malfunction.After I let go of the plane arched and looked up I had line twists no big deal I thought I had them on my first jump as well. When I tried to un twist the canopy was spinning enough to twist them back up the other way that never happened on my first jump so I looked up at the canopy and saw the line over. My first reaction was arch from my ground traing(not nesseccary on a low speed maly) then I located and pulled the silver(one handle cutaway and reserve deployment student gear). I felt like I was dropped it spooked me into my arch again. My round reserve was open almost imediately I rode it down to a very hard landing on my butt(had to sit on my side for a week) but was other wise fine. I wasn't able to jump again until the next spring(I live in Montana) The next jump wasn't any different than my first I knew what I was getting into when I started and now I knew my reserve was a viable plan B. My family didn't understand when I started after the reserve ride or now after 600+ jumps. I jump because I love it.Don't let a reserve ride stop you from jumping! Let it be a reminder that shit happens so don't let yourself get complacent.
Shaneman

Hey Wingnut, you actually jumped Greene Counties rental gear!! Not me my friend© No way!! I was there with my friend last year and they gave him the worst looking rig© I told him that he could jump it if he wanted too, but that I wouldn't jump something like that© The main was way to big for the container and the deployment bad© A JM who works there¥who will remain nameless¤ said that it was fine© Well, he ended up having 2 canopies out on the second jump with that rig© Not good© Nice DZ but I would certainly choose Skydive Greensburg over Skydive Greene County any day© Sorry for getting a little off the subject guys©
Safe landings,
Alex C-30872

since I told them by showing the video already dubbed over to music and slaow motion.

I can only guess what music you added to your cutaway video...
The final cut - Pink Floyd
Cuts like a knife - Bryan Adams
Time to say goodbye - Sarah Brightman and Andrea Boccelli
I could think of some more, but it is noon and I only just woke up. :)/s

Hey Wingnut, you actually jumped Greene Counties rental gear!!

I was just going to let it go but this is really bugging me since I jump here. I have personally put jumps on their student gear as a student, and observed countless jumps made by other jumpers as well. Rest assured that the gear is airworthy. Yeah, it has a few miles on it and is worn a bit, but it is functional for its intended purpose of belly flying. If you take it down low enough to scare the FXC's then no sympathy there. Not sure what caused the two canopys out, but IMO it could have been prevented by a good gear check.
Craig

Hey Adam, how'd your trip to AZ go? Get a chance to jump? The Westwind arrived back from Florida Monday and the CASA is due back the end of April. They have the Events page back up on the site so you may want to check it out if you like.
Craig

yup i jumped there rental gear. it wasn't student gear, at least i don't think it was. the main was a little to small to send a student out on. and i prefer to jump at aerohio when i'm visiting the parents they live 25 miles north of columbus and aerohio is only a 1.5 hour drive and they have a caravan and a twin otter. plus the dzo's are supper nice.
<>