Zennie

Watch TLC On March 23 At 10 PM EST

Yep, the footage (20 minutes or so devoted to skydiving) was shot at my home DZ, Skydive the Point in West Point, VA! It was shot last May. They interviewed Carol Clay, among others. I was there when they were filming. Some TLC staff were filmed doing an AFF1 jump. I was on the same CASA load with them! When the TLC guy landed, his feet were sticking straight out in front of him and he sort of landed/skidded flat on his ass. Wasn't hurt though. With the cameras rolling he grabbed his AFF jumpmaster, Doug Boyd, and kissed him on the cheek! And said "This guy saved my life!! I was being totally irresponsible up there!!!
I wonder if Doug owes beer for it being the first time he was kissed by another man on national television. (If it was the first time.....)
-Speed Racer

I wasn't hanging around them when they were doing the interviews, so I don't know. They didn't interview me, of course, since I'm just a lowly newbie.
I only know they shot a lot of footage that day, but obviously they're only going to use a small bit of it, since the show will only devote 20 minutes to skydiving in total. I also remember that we had a pig roast afterwards to celebrate our newfound fame.
Jim Couch, our S&TA who sort of represented us & was the main contact person with TLC, has received a video copy of the show already, so sometime when we're on weather hold or something we might get a sneak preview.
-SpeedRacer

If you get NESN (New England Sports Network), they do a show that is very similar except its got footage of my first 2 BASE jumps!!!! Its called RUSH! and is all about what makes skydivers, BASE jumpers, Free climbers tick. Pretty interesting. Here are the showtimes...3/14 @ 8 PM, 3/18 @ 9 PM, 3/20 @ 8 PM, 3/24 @ 7 PM, &
3/25 @ Noon
Enjoy!
"I'll jump anything!"

dont want to forget to watch this program so im bringing this thread back up to the top cause writing it down on a piece of paper would just be a waste of ink, id end up loosing the reminder :)

Wow.. is there another "You know you're a skydiver when..." you use the DZ.com forums to keep track of important dates. :-)

wildblue,
lol. its true! i cant always be home to read little post it notes sticking around. And i cant check my hot mail account when im away from home (my friend set it up and hes having fun keeping my password a secret from me :), but i can always get an internet connection to reach the threads! lets keep this one high up there :)
froggie

Posting this here cause I didn't want to waste a whole new tread on it....
Today 3/16 at 4:00 PM EST on the History channel "Worlds most dangerous sports". Just thought I would let you know, they might throw in some skydiving after some clips about skateboarding and bicycle riding LOL. Actually I don't have any idea what they will show since I only heard the title for the show.
Craig
Edited by Craig on 3/16/01 08:58 AM.

Boy, I had to really dig to find this post again!
Here's an excerpt from an email that Jim Crouch sent me (he's the S&TA of Skydive the Point in West Point, VA:
--------------------------------------
just returned from a preview showing of Understanding Thrill Seekers, at the MCI center in DC. This is the documentary that was filmed last May at Skydive The Point. The people at Ward TV that filmed the documentary did an outstanding job of editing this show together. The footage from West Point and other BASE and skydiving footage were very impressive on the big screen. Oscar Oczkowski, Chris Noel, Willie Ward, Brian O'Neal and Eric Sutherland all contributed great aerial footage.
Crowd reaction was great during the show. Lots of oohs and aahs. The show will air this Friday night, March 23 at 10 PM. We will be having viewing parties at Tequilla Grill in Washington DC and Mulligans Sports Bar on West Broad St in Richmond. There will be tshirt giveaways and tandems given away at each location. At Mulligans there will be a 26
inch Mitsubishi TV given away and West Broad Mitsubishi will have cars on display as well. So you can buy a car to take your new TV home.
See you at the scrambles meets! Let's all hope for better weather than we had last year and have had through the winter so far. I feel like I moved to Northern Europe!!
Blue Skies,
Jim Crouch
-------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I don't know if any of you live near Washington DC, but a group of us from STP will be getting together at the Tequilla Grill starting around nine-ish to watch the show. Tequilla Grill (yes, spelled with two L's) is on K Street in downtown DC, close to the White House. (There'll probably be lots o' sexy interns there, so just tell 'em you're a congressman & you might get lucky! Bring your own cigar!);)
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"