skymama

Ladies, can you relate?

I'm off to Vegas tomorrow for 4 days to play the role of "the wife" at an all-expenses paid, company event. This is the part that I am looking forward to, and I'm wondering if the ladies can relate:
When I'm at a party, or meeting whuffos for the first time, I like to spice up the boring conversations with skydiving. I love to see the reaction on the men's faces, which really separates the men from the mice. Then, once I talk about how cool it is and everything, the men stay and are all into the conversation and ask questions, while the women move back, shake their heads and whisper to one another! I'm sure I can figure out what they're saying, and it's so horrible of me, but I love it anyway!:)Oh, by the way, if I win millions in Vegas- free jumps for everyone!!!!!

It can be fun can't it?? I think the confidence a skydiver has, particularly women, scares some other women who envy it. It REALLY scares some men if they are scared of the idea of skydiving and, gee, this WOMAN does it! *gasp* We actually talked about it once before on here, and I discussed with a friend at the DZ a couple weeks ago how funny it can be when a new student (guy usually) comes in all pumped and starts going on and on to you about his jump, then ends with "Do you think you'll ever do it?" and you show him your rig or tell him your number of jumps. LOL! We women can be evil huh? Letting the men hang themselves with their own ropes :)
Pammi

When I start talkign about skydiving most people are shocked... I try to do it in a calm- it's totally normal tone of voice, almost as if I think it is as normal and routine as say showering. It is for me, but people just go crazy when I seem so relaxed about it and don't think twice about doing it... definitely gets some fun reactions. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Relate?
Skymama, I love to play that game!! I don't like playing games with men, but women, now that's a different ball game all together!!
Oh, the insecurities of some women! How about starting a conversation with just one man and speak loud enough to get the attention of the others and watch them approach you! Being the center of attention is great!! Add to that a good looking woman, a dress that shows just enough skin and sh*t will really hit the fan!! And if you're single, well, then, you're just plan evil!!
Evil, evil women we are! Memow!
Divadiver

Stacy, I'm a guy, but I know what you mean. When I talk about it at work I generally get the usual whuffo reaction, nothing real negative, just a nervous smile, and a shaking of the head, and "wow, you could never get me to do something like that".. No big deal.
But the thing about whuffo men being intimidated by skydivng women: strangely enough, it seems to go the other way, too. I've noticed that some women seem to shy away from me if I mention skydiving. Not all, but a few. Kinda disturbs me, because I'd hoped women would be a little impressed by it! ;) But I remember meeting a woman in a bar once & the conversation was going nicely, until I mentioned my skydiving. She really seemed to cool off all of a sudden, and the conversation ended soon after. And I wasn't talking about it in a bragging kind of way, I was being like Stacy, and being very cool & conversational.
I understand the usual whuffo reaction, but I don't completely understand why a few people really don't want to hear you even mention it.
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

but I don't completely understand why a few people really don't want to hear you even mention it.

Speedracer, say, for example, you were REALLY scared of snakes, would you want to spend time in somebody's company who spent most of their money on and time thinking about snakes? Of course given half a chance that person would discuss snakes for a very long time, maybe making you uncomfortable. Maybe some people who truly suffer from vertigo just aren't comfortable hearing about how people willingly jumping from planes. I know some skydivers are scared of heights, but to each their own.
Can I make a suggestion? Always wear a skydiving T-shirt when you go out. That way the women who are interested will make an effort to meet you and the ones who don't like skydivers/skydiving won't waste your time.
/s
[drop till you party!]

If a woman doesnt jump...do you really want to hang out with her???
I have noticed that those relationships usually dont work out from my experience. Plus, women skydivers are soooo sexy!

Women skydivers have the luxury of choosing to date only skydiving men. I remember JKayAus saying she just wouldn't date a whuffo. Other women agreed with her.
(This school of thought is called: "If you don't JUMP, we don't HUMP!")
But because of the uneven gender ratios in this sport, we men don't always have that choice.
You're right about sexy skydiving women though. Too bad there's just not enough of them to go around.
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

Nah, just foolin around with you...but I refuse to date whuffo chicks anymore. I have had 2 intentional cutaways from them already in less than 9 months. It just doesnt work. Plus, not only are skydiving chicks sexy but they are cool as sh*t!!!
"I'll jump anything!"

Screamer is right about those T's. I followed a guy around the gym the other night for about 5 min. trying to read his t-shirt. It said something about Sky . . . and every time I'd start to read it he'd pick up some weights or something and I'd be standing there staring at his chest (remind you of anything here guys?).
I finally couldn't take it any more and told him I was trying to read his shirt and could he please sand still!! Turns out he had worked at some bar called Sky something because it was built on stilts near the ocean. I know I must have look disappointed, but perked right back up when he said that he had made about 200+ jump in the military. And the conversation continued . . .
Nothing in the world like us skydivers!!
Divadiver

I love to see the reaction on the men's faces, which really separates the men from the mice.

That was the funnest part of being a female tandem instructor... watching the guys faces when they realized they'd be jumping with a GIRL! Kinda like "oh shit, this means I really have to DO this!". rolfmao!!!
pull and flare,
lisa

I can totally relate. My ex had way less jumps than I did when we were together. He used to always wear skydiving tshirts out and make it a point to talk about skyding, loud enough for someone to pick up on the conversation and start asking questions. Once they started talking to him and asking his jump numbers, they would look at me and ask if I had ever done it. Of course I would say, "Actually I have XXX jumps" and they would always react the same. Dropped jaw, big eyes, and "Wow, so you have MORE than him?" It never failed to piss him off and get him defensive, which was my goal at the time, and impress the hell out of these guys, and always his friends. I still get that reaction now, "Wow, YOU skydive?" Some guys are instantly interested and some are instantly intimidated. :)BLUE SKIES!!