skySue

Fatality in Australia

God, this makes me feel sick. Nagambie, central Victoria, today, Cesna Caravan, 12 skydivers on board, 14,000ft, first jumper's canopy took out the plane's tail, 11 others and the pilot got out OK (pilot did a fantastic job they say). I only have the TV news report to go on. If anyone else has any details, could you share them please. I'm only a student, don't jump at Nagambie, but it's a very very small skydiving community here, and this will hit hard, as all fatalities must.
My thoughts and prayers are with the jumper's family and friends.

lucky that barry was flying he is one of the best jump pilots in australia. i dont know the jumper but died but im sure alot of the locals at my dz would cause there are quite a few vics. the owner of the plane has recently just purchased another caravan so nagamby shouldnt be left without one (i dont mean that as who cares about the jumper just that it shouldnt damage the sport to badly physicaly)It is good to hear though (if the article is corect) that australia has such a good track record
Good wishes to his family and the Nagambie jumpers
Skyhawk

What an incredible story - thank goodness more skydivers didn't die. My thoughts go out to everyone involved, and the family and friends of the deceased. While we don't know why the canopy deployed prematurely, this tragedy can serve as a reminder for the rest of us to make sure the mouth of our boc pouch isn't too loose...

It's all speculation, of course, but one possibility is that his main deployed prematurey, got entangled & broke the tail off. With those kinds of forces it wouldn't surprise me if the jumper was knocked unconscious or killed right then.
If he was wearing an AAD, it could have fired. Thus two out. But I'm just guessing.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

there was an interview/story on an affairs program lastnight and it was pretty interesting "apparently his reseve disloged on came out on exit and wrapped around the tail. i assume he threw his main out to get some extra canopy.barry was very humble at the end of the interview the reporter was oh this is a very dangerous sport hey oh will you ever do it again . barry was like umm yer its fun :-) got to love skydivers hey (im pretty sure he is a jumper as well)
"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
Pablo Picasso.

I don't _think_ Baz (the pilot) jumps but he sure has a HEAP of fun flying jumpers. Up till last weekend he was regarded as one of the best jump pilots in the country. Now he's regarded as THE best and by a country mile.....
Anyway I just got this.....
A jumper by the name of "Simon Moline" had his reserve deploy in the door of
the Cessna Caravan, and unfortunately it wrapped around the tailplane,
breaking it off. All the other jumpers onboard got out by about 8'000ft, at
which point the pilot, Baz Dawson decided to get out.
He made his way to the door, only to find it jammed about ten inches open.
After a lot of struggling, he managed to get it open, and bailed out, at
less than 500ft!!!!!!!!!!!! a monumental effort by any standards. The
poor soul whose reserve tangled with the tail plane rode it all the way down
and died at the scene. An absolute tragedy, but the other jumpers can be
thankful the pilot kept control of the plane, long enough for them to get
out. It was the plane up at Batchelor, last year.
Apparently the Porter at Barwon Heads had everything go awfully quiet at some stage as well. Dunno about that yet. (Barwon WAS where I jumped.)
Ooroo
Mark F...

hello, yes it was a terrible accident. I've just started the AFF course at Nagambie, and did my Level 1 jump the Sunday before the accident. I didn't know Simon Moline at all, but saw him training with his team when I went back the next Thursday. I feel for his family and friends as I know how horrible it is to lose someone, however it happens. I've only been to Nagambie dz a few times, so don't know the people there that well, but it is a very friendly, welcoming and inclusive place. The instructors I've had have the ability to make me feel confident and relaxed simultaneously. The pilot, Barry, is certainly a hero for his efforts, even though he seems very humble. The dz had a tree planting ceremony for Simon a week or two ago, which is a lovely way to remember someone.

No to seem derogatory, but as soon as the empannage left that airplane, it was no longer in control at all. As a pilot and aircraft mechanic, I know that this is true. With the loss of that weight and the vertical stabilizer, it was all over then. From reading the DZ.com article, seems the pilot was very hesitant to get out at all. Glad that he did and sorry for the jumper in the wind.