jtval

journey to certification...

hey i got a question for any body who a) went thru ANY certifying course b) any body who is going thru one now.

how did it go? and do-over's i.e.

i jacked up (can you believe) level 7. AND I GOT IT ALL ON VIDEO) i exited. and my whole screw up was not having a good heading. but i was trying to do my 1st back flip (non- symetrically) it's funny as hell to watch now but i was embarassed about it for awhile. how bout it anything you wanna get off your chest.
i was kicking wiggling flopping around just trying to get over. my instructor(billy weber) docked at 7500 ft to stabilize me(although i never lost track of altitude, if you look closely you can see me tell him to hold on for a minute..with my pionter finger)but when i did that my arch was totally gone so he stabilized me. when i got on the ground, all humbled and what not. the camera guy(billy z) asked something about how was it (i think he was trying not to laugh his ass off, thanks billy) i said hey even though i didn't do what i was supposed to .I HAD FUN!!
the thing is is that all my other levels were pretty damn good.i guess it was over confidence-lack of heading and experience.
have fun, live free, SKYDIVE
JT

Hey jtval,
I've decided that having a camera flyer on an AFF jump is bad mojo; I got talked into getting video when I did my L7, and it was a complete disaster--one of those jumps where everything you do from the time you exit until your feet touch the ground is just crap. Interestingly, my previous jumps (though I did repeat a few) went fairly well.
On my 7, I tumbled like crazy out the door, had trouble recovering from the backloop (which was NEVER a problem before), overshot one of my 360s, tracked in circles, and ended up on my back at pull-time (not fun). Are you feeling better about your dive yet? :D
I've read some of the TLOs on the L7 for other drop zones, and it seems that mine requires more that some others; we do a diving exit, 360degree turns right and left, front and back loops, then track. I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to do it all, I rushed myself and ended up messing up the whole thing. *sigh* Eventually...
blues
-zelda

Hi jt
I once overheard our chief instructor say to a bunch of first jump students "There goes Jeff Gordon. The scream you hear as he leaves the aircraft is his jumpmaster."
I went through the static line progression and it took me 28 jumps to get off student status. People were starting to suggest golf :)

I am proud to say that I made it through all of my IAF course with flying colors. It wasn't until I made it all the way to my 3rd jump off student status before I plowed myself into the runway! :D It took me a year to be able to laugh at myself, and thank my lucky stars that I wasn't injured worse than I was. I realize that part of my problem was overconfidence. On the plus side, I am an ultra-conservative jumper now.
Andrea
"Up high, I feel like I'm alive for the very first time"...Creed

My certification went really smoothly in the air. I didn't have to repeat any jumps.
Where my problems came in were in the landings. I think I stood up 2 out of the 7 AFF jumps. I didn't hurt myself in the others, and did fine PLFs. And I certainly won't mention the jump where I accidently sailed over the manifest building, hangar, then landed in the *cough* watermelon patch. :)And the frustrating thing is that that jump was one of the two that I stood up beautifully, and nobody saw it. *sigh*
Oh well.
Justin

IAD and 27 to get off student status here (and tons of help from someone coaching me one-on-one!). It's all good! You'll make it...just remember that. One day it will just click and you'll be so proud you stuck with it! If you worry about it too much, it will just make things worse, so try to not do that.
Good luck!!
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

Man are you in for a treat on Sunday! Ask me to see my logbook. Not only did I repeat dives I never stood one up until like jump #20! I even finally took a trip to the tunnel just to relax. YEP...voted most likely to ruin a jumpsuit. DO NOT follow me in as I can promise you I can find mud when it hasn't rained for weeks.
The main thing is I love to jump.
I think they are planning on starting early Sunday since there is a ton of newbies. What time you going to be there? If you are driving from MCN we can meet and caravan in if you like. Let me know. I'm thinking about doing the GSL on Sat...wanta go?
Mouth

mouth-- i just found out that i have monday off. so maybe i can do a little more stuff. i'll email you and get some info....if i forget to contact you my address is [email protected] sounds like fun...i like that, ha ha ha. don't worry im a little more capable in my skydives...a little
JT

I had a really stop-and-go student progression. Full story here. But the weekend after that jump, I finished my progression by passing the AFF 4-7 dives in 20 hours. It starting with a sunset load for the AFF 4 repeat that ranks as my all-time (out of a whopping 10 ) favorite dive.
I forget who mentioned it but I got video for my AFF 7 and it almost didn't happen either. I wasn't sure I'd do the 360s, backloop, frontloop, and track in time, but I had 2 solid jumps already that day, so I think the extra dose of confidence got me off the ground and out into the breeze. The exit was passable, the 360's were good (we skimmed the edge of a cloud which was really cool) but slow. The backloop ended up being more like a backflop and the frontloop was an unmitigated tumble. When I checked alt after that, we were at 6200 and I knew I'd go below 5500 if I did the track. But I thought "fusk it, I'm not going to repeat this dive!" and tracked for 4 seconds before waving off and pulling. In hindsight, not a good attitude to have about assigned pull times, but 5500 is a lot different than 3500.
Blues, squares,
PTiger
*insert witty sig here*
Edit: Must remember to preview my posts, and include all necessary /.
Edited by PalmettoTiger on 6/7/01 06:44 PM.

i started jumping right after new years this year...
my 8th jump was my last on student status (despite the shattered tailbone from a bad landing on the runway of all places) and i have been enjoying the sport immensely ever since...i am working toward my rigger's ticket and jumping as much as i can. packin parachutes is tiring but i also get to be workin at the dz, so i get to learn a lot from a lot of jumpers...
blue skies

Sounds like most of us were off to a good start. Now 150 jumps later I can safely say I haven't crashed one since I went up a canopy size!!! My jumpsuit still gets dirty just from walking...I know "Look where you are going!!"

JT, don't sweat it. All my tandem progression dives were awesome, smiley faces in the logbook even. Then I have my IAF-5 dive which I totally brain locked on and screwed up. Hmmm.... I had video too. I don't normally like to show this video to anyone but whuffo's who don't understand how badly I screwed up.
Come to think of it, I also screwed up when my jumpmaster for IAF-7 (Chris Wagner, Golden Knights) said he had a surprise for me and strapped on a video helmet. Can you say back loop into a flat spin? He came in and stopped me and when he let go I started again, so he chased my lame self across the sky and stopped me so I could pull.
100 jumps from now you'll look back and laugh (and burn the video tape).
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

dutchboy--
hey dont burn the tape. hell now you know, we all screwed the pooch on some jump. actually i think if i didnt mess up i would've though it was too easy. ya know. and besides if you delete all the little mess ups ya do, how will ya learn. embarassing? yes but funny as heel to watch? DEFINETLY! ithink that'll be the first vid i show to people from now on. ha ha ha
JT

(I posted my story about AFF level II, "Lesson at 5,000 ft". I thought I'd give you the story of my AFF level I.)
Take a breath, jump out the door, squinch my eyes shut really tight, peek really quick at my jm, legs out, o.k., now for my assistant jm, he nods, look straight forward (why is my jm tugging on my jumpsuit?) Oh, o.k., arms out - no, in - o.k., knees together, o.k., hey videographer, move over, you're in my view - what is this three fingered hand signal - peace plus one? No, not read between the lines, oh yeah, PRCTs', o.k., yeah right, not with my left hand, silly; now what do you want - o.k., I'll look at my assistant jm, no, that's not what you mean - AH YEAH THE ALTIMETER - well, looky there, it's over at 6k - tell my jm, he nods, I nod back, life is great, time to pull - wait, not yet, o.k. now - PULL!!!
What the heck was that slam? Scream in delight - I can see everything - it looks really neat. I can't breathe, but that's not a problem. Oh, right, look up, see the shape spin float, what're those yellow loops - oh yeah, the steering thingies - grab them, shout in exuberation - wait - where's the hanger? Where's the airport? Why are there houses under me? Look, there's a pool - just the altimeter, cool, 4,000, I have time to find the airport.
Tug a little to the right (like 3 degrees), more houses. Tug a little more, there's a highway. Tug a little more, there's the sun in my eyes (ow). Tug right harder, there's a park - 3300 - o.k., I should figure out where I am. No airport in sight, shouldn't land on top of a house or in a pool, there's wires near streets, cars zipping on the highway, let's keep turning - oh, look, a pretty white airplane over my right shoulder and really far back - that must be where I should head!!! Tug harder, turn, cruise right over the road, school, runway,restaurant, spectator area, right over my family (my 2 year old nephew was not paying any attention) look, now the radio crackles - "there you are Michele" I try to wave, but my hand's got this strap around it. Oh, look, the windsocks are pointing the same way I am. "O.K., Michele, turn when I tell you to, not before"; I nod, hoot and holler "Hi, Dad" from about 800 feet. "Stop talking to your family, Michele, listen to me" comes into my ear. Oh yeah, I gotta land this thing. "O.k., turn hard, harder, pull that toggle now, turn", and I do, and then the wind is in my face, and the ground is about 250 under me, turn, hold, "Wait, wait, wait, wait, Now FLARE", and I do, and I can't get the toggles all the way down and then the ground is right there, and I get it pulled, wait, why is the ground moving sideways? Oh, I'm gonna tank, legs together, roll, ow, foxburs, why am I still moving? Why am I being tugged around? Oh yeah, I have to let go of one of these toggles, but they didn't tell me which one, so here goes the right one, "Run around the back, Micehle, get behind the chute, girl, Run already" doesn't he know I can't breathe and this pack is heavy but I get around it, and now it's blown into my face and I am laughing and shrieking in joy, and trying to find my way out of this chute, and it's all just so incredible and wonderful and fantastic and exhilarating and freeing, and I jump and get out of the chute and there's my jm, and I hug him, and take off my helmet and goggles and hug him, again, and again, and jump up and down, and try to calm down enough, and walk back to my family and now my nephew is pointing at me and laughing "Noni bug" which translates to Auntie is a bug and I pick him up while holding my chute, and drop him and the chute and he cried and I get the chute back in my arms and try to pretend like this was no big deal when I go back to the packing area to drop off the chute.
What an amazing birthday present to myself. Life. Way cool.