PhillyKev

Wind sucks (clouds suck, cont.)

Blue skies and bright sun finally after 2 days of rain. Drove down to XKeys...hung out during the first wind hold. Then they called 20 minutes. Then wind hold. Then one load of C license or higher only. One off landing, a couple a hair inside the beer line. Wind hold. Another load. 2 over the beer line. Wind starts gusting again. I go home.
Damn...last week I decided to just take it on the chin and do my last 5 AFP jumps this weekend. That didn't happen. Supposed to be nice tomorrow though. Bought the Skydive-U "Basic Canopy Control" video. Going to watch it tonight and hopefully skip out of work early tomorrow and get at least 2 jumps in.
At least I got to watch some cool personal videos of base jumping at some falls in Venezuela and watch some guys handle high wind landings.

I'm with ya, wind STINKS!!!! I've been at the DZ at least once a week since January and I am STILL on L-6, and I did L-2 and 3 the first week of Jan!!!!!!! I'm starting to feel like I bring the wind with me!! Actually was greeted last week with "should have know you were here, they just put AFF's on hold..." I hope my patience and perseverence pay off before they run my bad weather karma self off the DZ!! YYEEAACCHH!!! That is a horrifying thought!!!!!! Here's to knowing that our time WILL eventually come!!!!
Jeji Ü

I hear that!!! the wind prevented me from doing my first maneurvers dive after my release dive on the IAF training yesterday.. i got my release dive done ( nailed it !! :) ), and then waited to try and do my next one but the wind just stayed right above 14 mph, so i just got to watch all the licensed jumpers and tandem people jump while i waited. i guess i'll have to try again next weekend.
Austin

hey kev-
you'll have to introduce yourself tomorrow, I'll be around pretty much all day. How long were ya around today (Sunday)? My team was doing the NSL meet all afternoon and got to play in the hairy winds... tehy died at about 6 PM almost totally and I believe AFP students started going up!!! Had some great coaching with Doug from FX all day, made some jumps... good day it was!!!!
Stacy
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

I was there from noon to about 4:30 I think. When the third load was about to go up. Wind started gusting again and didn't feel like waiting around anymore. Hopefully I'll be there by about 4 tomorrow. I just checked out your website, but I don't remember seeing you there. I have medium-long, wavy hair and was wearing a white t-shirt. Kelly knows who I am.
See ya tomorrow.

Our S&TAs look out for low timers. Winds can get pretty hairy in our landing area at times, like after a storm moves out, so sometimes wind holds will be put on based on experience levels. Just a safety thing.
Stacy

yes, but the S&TA has the say in who can do what at their particular DZ (like waive some of the BSR's -- but only those that can be). the winds were honking, presumably a 50 jump wonder wouldn't be able to handle said winds, especially with the "outs" available to them. High winds, high trees, rotors off said trees. Those conditions require a fair bit of canopy skill.

Yee haw...finally got my fix. Was planning to jump 3 times, but got ganked by a group of 50 on a school bus who got there before me all to do 1st time Tandems. Got there at 2 and didn't jump until 7. It was a great freefall. L-3 is cake. Instructor releases and just have to hold heading. Started chipping a little toward the bottom, but nothing extreme, still in control. Moving on to level 4. The canopy ride left something to be desired though. My opening was VERY hard. Quite a jolt of pain in the crotchal area. Grabbed my rear risers right away. Good thing too, because the instructor for the other AFP student jumping after me went flying past straight down about 10 feet away. Then I look up and see the student opening right over me. Turned quickly to avoid a collision. After I got control, I was like what the hell is choking me. It was my chest strap. Right up under my neck. Not loose enough for me to fall out, but enough to make my ride very uncomfortable. Landing with the chest strap under my chin was quite a distraction as well and I flared a bit too high. Came down pretty hard and slightly hyper extended my knee when I PLF'd. It's just a little stiff today, but not going to jump unless it feels 100%. Another hard landing might really do some damage.
Supposed to go down again today and take 2 friends down with me. One for his 2nd tandem and another for his first. Have to wait and see how my knee feels first though, but I think it'll be ok after I walk around on it. Just stiffened up a bit overnight.
It was nice meeting you, Stacy. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

After I got control, I was like what the hell is choking me. It was my chest strap. Right up under my neck. Not loose enough for me to fall out, but enough to make my ride very uncomfortable.

That happened to me like every other jump while I was on student gear. I agree that it is no fun! Hang in there. It gets much better when you get your own gear.
Justin
"If it can't kill you, it isn't worth doing."

based on experience levels

not to start a big argument or get way off the thread subject but help me out stacy.....
okay i have 88 jumps and an "a" liscence. i'm damn close to a "C" yet i wouldn't of been able to jump at the dz(on that load) because i don't have a "c"??? would they make an exception to jump numbers instead of liscence held like say if i had an "a" but had 200 jumps??? just wondering.......(the issue on this is purely canopy piloting skills not the other stuff you have to have for the liscences)

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

we base it on licenses here, not jump #s. sometimes a person may have 400 jumps but only a c license. talking to the S&TA usually will allow you to jump in those cases, but 90% of the time it's based on licenses, just because having a D in hand per se guarantees that you have met certain canopy accuracy requirements. 400 jumps and no license doesn't necessarily say the same thing. lso, less experienced jumpers tend to have larger canopies with lower wing loadings that would back up in winds we had this weekend. That wouldn't be pretty either. Our winds were really honking on Sunday early in the afternoon. =c)
Blues!
Stacy