herv

First Falcon!

Well I am still so new to this that I wasn't even sure what the hell a Falcon was. I hit the DZ late on Saturday and noticed that the manifest has been busy all day. Winds are kind of high and everybody looks to be starting to wind down. So I just turn my cypress on and kind of meander around getting my stuff together. Brought my brand new Bonehead with me and hoping I'll be able to pop it's cherry.
Soon enough, the names starting popping up on the chalkboard and in no time we have 6 people for the C-185. Then someone gets the bright idea "Let's get Herv on his first four-way!" (Uh-oh, don't these people realize I just graduated and only have 36 jumps AND I might screw up their skydive!) Well, before I knew it the other three are deciding what type of skydive to do. Bright idea #2: "Let's get Herv his first Falcon!" (OK, besides the raptor that I see flying aroung sometimes, what the hell is a Falcon?). It's explained to me, then we move to the plane to practice an exit. After that we do some dirt dives to practice the points. Since one of the other skydivers is my former instructor (Darlene) I figure that she knows how I fly and if she thinks I can do it, then I must be able to do it.
We get to altitude and set up for the exit. READY, SET, GO! What do I do right out of the plane but turn onto my back. (Arms extended to much, legs not enough). I let go of Sal to get back stable and then him and I come back together. Almost at the same time Darlene and Marie fly in and we have our round going.
It was decided that when everyone first linked up the first nod everyone would just release and hover in place to make sure I could stay stable with them. That goes great. (Which was a huge suprise to me)We only get two more points and then it's wave off.
Next jump I skip. Winds were a little too high for me on the DZ. Next lift I'm ready to go up again. My positon is changed on exit and now I will be calling the jump. (Great, no pressure! :) ) Once agian the exit goes a little screwy. But, we get linked up into our 4-way pretty quick. Then the nod from Darlene, turn right grab her wrist. Nod, turn left back to the center. (Hey, this going pretty decent) Now, it's my turn. Nod, everyone faces me and links up, nod again, back to center. Wave off, track, wave, arch reach pull.
I land thinking well I didn't screw it up too bad we got 4 points anyway. Darlene, yells to me "Congratulations Herv. You got your first Falcon. Make sure an AFF instructor signs your logbook on that one!"
Man this is so great that I jump at a DZ where the experienced jumpers are so willing to make you a part of their fun. I have to give credit where credit is due though. If it wasn't for the fact that the other three jumpers were so experienced, I probably wouldn't have been able to pull it off. Marie did compilment me though saying that it's pretty good that someone with 38 jumps can get a Falcon (boosting my confidence immensley and making smile like a schoolboy). Thanx once again to Darlene, Heather, Pookie, Sal, Jerm and the rest of them at Above the Poconos Skydiving!

Congratulations, herv.....well done! And great story!
(but since I am newer than you at this, I gather that a Falcon is something you get once you complete a 4 point 4 way, and it's not that you're handed a hunting bird to fly with....right?)
Anyway, good job!
Ciel bleu -
Michele

Way to go Herv. Getting your first falcon is a really big deal in my opinion. I remember how excited I was when I got mine not too long ago. I hope everyone on the DZ enjoyed the case of beer you brought them for that. ;)

congrats!!! you have a dz that really cares about its new jumpers(i like to help the newbies my self . makes them feel good ,makes me feel good!)next time you jump ask if you can go for your SCR:)(ask your instructor what that is)
have chute. will fall.

Congrats Herv.....you will remember this for a very long time
I remember Barb Kazamarack (SP) getting 2 other guys to help me get mine Labor Day weekend last year. Chris Wagner was also organizing loads the same weekend so he got 7 others and myself for a 9 way and they pulled off my Double Eagle. A 5 point 9 way when I had trouble just staying in the formation....jump #38. This was also my cutaway jump. What a dive!!
Skydiving is so much fun.......

Hey Herv,
Looks like we have something in common. I have 36 jumps and I'm going to be trying for a falcon this weekend at Skydive Illinois. One of the members of our four way team there will put it together and include me in, and he says that the fact that I'm a low timer is not a problem. I am really excited about it, I think it will be an awesome learning experience! I'll let you know how it goes. Gongrats on your achievement!!

Just wait till you get the rush of burning 287364234 points on a four way... Ask Stacy about that feeling, I suspect she knows it well!

Nah, I don't think Stacy's ever done more than about 24. :P Of course that's more than double anything I've ever done.

Great Job.
I am on a Comp 4-way team and when a student finishes their program at our DZ, the last jump they do is a 4-way. We always take them up and make a fun jump of it. Every once in a while we get amazed. A few weeks ago we had a guy go up on his first 4 way and he did 8pts.
Keep up the good work.
Shawn