SpeedRacer

Calling all computer nerds

I know we have a lot of computer nerds out there.
I'm just breaking into the field of networking. I'm taking MCSE (for Windows 2000) classes. I'm also going to set up a little two-computer network in my apartment. But I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions about how to best prepare for the exams.
Speed Racer
"Come up to my lab,
And see what's on the slab!"

Bail out! Bail out dont doom you self to the MCSE track like I did! Learn other OS's first! If you want to do networking then do it right. Get your self some Cisco certs. If you want to learn how to impliment an entire network that requires a 24/7 staff to prevent it from crashing go for the MCSE. Which are you lookin for networking or System operations?
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

I can't believe I'm doing this but I have to agree with Phreezone.. Learn the other OS's first Cisco or Novel are both good knowledge bases. Then mabye try some "linux" from home and use it to set up your "home network" MCSE is a good course and teaches alot. BUT the other certs pay way more money and think of the hours your going to spend in some piddly lil ISP or company IT Dept. working the 90hr week!!! DUDE get a grip....
Well other then that I think STUDYING will be your best bet :P oh and you can file this post under C:\noshit\sherlock folder if you wish...
Blue Skies!http://www.geocities.com/scollins77057/index.html

shit. already taking the MCSE classes. But I'm planning on doing the Cisco thing next spring. Thing is, my company will be upgrading from NT4 to Windows 2K and hopefully I could just switch over to the IT dept. That would save me from having to hunt for a job outside my current company until I built up some on-the-job experience here.
Speed Racer
"Come up to my lab,
And see what's on the slab!"

Glad I could help. You know, sometimes the simple answers are the ones that elude us. :)Seriously, though. If it were me, I would go the Linux route. These guys are making beaucoup bucks right now, but for a reason. Those systems take a lot more love to get to know. But that's me, I'm a Unix bigot.
It sounds like you don't really have an opportunity where you work to get some hands on experience, is that true? For me, that makes all the difference. It's like working on cars. You are going to learn a hell of a lot more fixing stuff that's broken, than reading about it in a book, imo. Plus, getting involved in the Win2k rollout will teach you a lot. Your learning style might be different, tho.
As for Novell, forget about it. It's old news, who cares, irrelevent, whatever. Sure, they finally adopted open standards, so learning it isn't quite as irrelevant as it was. Also, you may end up like the Cobol guys, making big $$ because no one else knows the dinosaur shit anymore.
Cisco would be cool, although doing this at home presents some interesting financial challenges. :o
Are you able to set up a non-trivial home NT network to mess around with? Also, what is your learning style?

Seriously, though. If it were me, I would go the Linux route. These guys are making beaucoup bucks right now.

Really? Where? I've been looking for a decent linux job for a few months now. It seems that unless you have experience writing device drivers or hacking the kernel, there's little out there. And those aren't skills you pick up in a weekend.

As a full time Linux sysadmin and web developer, I'd say study up for that MCSE.
The MCSE cert isn't really worth crap, but it'll get you into your local IT department. Once you're there and you can show you actually have a brain(a lot of MCSEs are idiots), you can start in on some more serious training and have the company foot the bill.
There's some SERIOUS money in Cisco engineering, but those certs are downright hard. But that's a good thing because unlike your MCSE it'll actually be worth more than the paper it's written on to guys who know anything about IT.

Really? Where? I've been looking for a decent linux job for a few months now. It seems that unless you have experience writing device drivers or hacking the kernel, there's little out there.

Linux is in a lot of shops but it isn't really noticable because they "just run". I put a pair of internet servers up in Indiana when I worked there, left back in October and they're still humming along with zero supervision. So while Linux is out there, the PHBes just don't realize they need a Linux geek because the boxes never break down.

I'm going with everyone else here, don't limit yourself to the M$ stuff, but it's not a bad place to start. Get a hold of the Troy Tech study guides, and all the practive tests you can. Read the MS Press training kits first though! You can get the core 4 (Server, Professional, AD, and Infra) for < $100 at bookpool.com If you taking the classes, you're probably using the MOCs (big 3-ring binder things) those are complete shit, they teach you nothing. Get the MS Press books (I can find you the ISBN # if you want it)
Also, find a book on TCP/IP and understand it, that'll help you with MS stuff and Cisco stuff. Don't be afraid to get the "For Dummies" books, some of them aren't really for dummies, they explain advanced topics pretty well. The O'Rielly books are pretty good too, but usually a bit dry. And get some hands on! Nobody likes a paper MCSE.
Then, I saw these two guys swoopin across the pond, and I was like 'weeeeeee!!!!'

my $.02
I'd have to agree with what everyone else is saying. Cisco Cert is the one to have. Solaris (Unix) is the other big money maker (at least here in the bay area). I've interviewed quite a few MCSE's who don't know NT from Win95. We call them Paper MCSE's. In other words, they only know how to pass the test. If you REALLY want to get a good job with the MCSE, get the experience first. Take some jnr sys admin position someplace.
LAstly, HAte to say it since it's a superior Networking OS, but Novell is Dead. MS made Active directory to compete with NDS, Novell might as well rollover

[disclaimer][understatement]I'm not exactly the biggest MS expert or MS supporter, but here's my $.02[/understatement][/disclaimer]
From several friends I understood there's lots of very MS specific detail questions, as in stupid fact knowledge iso. understanding. So IMHO buying the MS books seems like a good idea, I've heard that even an experienced sys-admin wouldn't get through the tests without cramming the small stuff into his/her head.
In your case, with the switch to WIN2k coming up, doing the MCSE sounds like a solid plan, but definitely keep the Cisco stuff on your wish-list.
:)Ramon :)