pyke

Suffocation!!??!!!!

Ok, I know we have all been subjected to the "uninformed, semi-coherent babble" from whuffos, but this one took the fucking cake for me!!!
I set up a couple of people from work to do some tandems this weekend, and one of the one that came out was 'apparently' the type of person who "researches" whatever he does before he does it.
So, we are sitting in the plane on the way up to altitude and it was a fairly patchy cloudy day, so the climb up put us "near" a couple of them.
I was commenting on how cool they are to fall "around" and he comes out with...
"Did you know you can suffocate in a cloud"
Well, I didn't want to point out his BLATANTLY obvious (for lace of a better word) STUPIDITY to the others, so I played along and played dumb. I even went so far as to ask a TM if that was true, and I am DAMNED glad the guy never saw the look on the TM's face!!!!!!LMAO
Anyway, that was all. I laughed about that one for a while, and then when we were drinking later on that night...I reminded others of the 'dangers' of falling through clouds!!
So, just for the rest of you out there who skydive...
BEWARE of FALLING SLIDERS and FALLING through CLOUDS!!!!!
:Ding my MFAO!!!
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke :P
NZPF A - 2584
USPA C- ?????

SIS ROLLING ON FLOOR LAUGHING HER ASS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
That's a new one I hadn't heard yet!!
My favorite student was this kid doing his first jump. The JM told him that you can land on clouds, take off your main, and jump with a trash bag and make a second jump. I *swear* to you, this kid believed it!! We all went along with it, telling him, YEAH, its true, isn't that cool?! hehe....He was like, WOW!
I sure hope somebody told him later that we were pulling his leg. I guess he figured it out or we would have heard about a fatality by now! (Jumper tries to fly with trash bag!! Film at 11:00)
Sis
I don't want the meaning of life, I want the experience of being alive!

All of u from OSC probably know Spad (assuming he still jumps there). Anyway, a student was asking about the wings on camera suits, Spad explaind to him "how with the wings u can flair the suit like your canopy and land it with a double mal and how jumpers should practice this on clouds so while learning b/c if U flair to late you won't bounce on the cloud". This guy went around foe a while believing this and of course "sharing" his expertise with others.
C-Ya
Kevin

This skin breathing thing is from an old... very old FAQ that ran on the afn Skydive! Archive (when that site was pretty much it for info on skydiving)... It has a whole bunch of info, some true, some completely obviously false (someone's good idea for a joke), and some like this one that has managed to seep into the realm of urban legends....
this skin osmosis theory actually was used in a TV documentary on one of the major networks in the US about 1 or 2 years ago!!!
Our job, as proud skydivers, is to continue the tradition and say: yep, clouds will kill, remember to take a deep breath from the flaps of your checks before you get into it...
Remi