mountainman

U.S. Army Reserves

I have a questions for all of you military types.
I am thinking about getting into the Reserves, but don't know a whole lot about it. I don't really dont want to go to a recruiter yet to talk, because I hear they just sign you up anyway no matter what.
I really don't know what to ask, specifically, so I'll just make some general questions and if you have anything to add, please do.
First, what kind of pay do you normally get for being in the Reserves?? And, what different kinds of reserves do they have??
Second, what kind of training is involved for the Reserves?? Do I have to go away for like 8 wks??
And the most important....is it WORTH it to be in the Reserves??
Thanks for all your help!!!
--------------
Boogie pics coming!!!

what kind of pay do you normally get for being in the Reserves??

Wasn't enough for me to justify staying in longer than the 4 years I signed on for. plus I hated my job
Alot of times my uniforms and gear cost me more than what I got paid over several months

what different kinds of reserves do they have??

I was in the marines so am not sure what you are asking here. are you asking what type of jobs you can have or which branches have reserves?

Second, what kind of training is involved for the Reserves??

um yep...you have Basic then school for what ever Job specialty that you choose.

Do I have to go away for like 8 wks??

um, I dont know how long the Army basic is but I was gone for 11-12 weeks for the Marines just for basic. then I cant even remember how long for my job schooling

is it WORTH it to be in the Reserves??

ah the toughest question of them all. I am proud to say I am a marine. BUT I dont know if I really gained anything from being there other than self confidence. the only good thing was I liked my job there.
hope this helps. make sure you really want to do it.
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

Alot of times my uniforms and gear cost me more than what I got paid over several months

Damn!! I thought that was one of the good things about being in the military was that they gave you the G.I. stuff. Hmm...

I was in the marines so am not sure what you are asking here. are you asking what type of jobs you can have or which branches have reserves?

I am asking more about the branches. I did not know if there are Navy, AF, and CG Reserves. I found a list of jobs on the Army website. I thought that the linguist/interpretor one was kind of up my alley. However, I haven't checked out any of the other branches.
Thanks for your info, skymedic! I will definetely take some more input from anyone else that wants to give me their thoughts on it. :)--------------
Boogie pics coming!!!

Hey Mountainman,
There are a lot of things that you have to ask yourself before even considering joining any branch of the military the biggest one, is it worth it to me?
The only person that can answer that question is you. I say that only because l have served active duty Army and the reserves. I have recently decided to go back on active duty. It all has to do with your attitude and your desire to serve your country.
As far as how long it takes, you have to go through 8 weeks basic plus your Advanced Individual Training. That can take as little as 4weeks to as many as 56 weeks. just depends on the MOS that you choose.
As far as questions to ask, ask about the options that are available to you, bonuses, schools(airborne, air assault etc), and jobs etc.
If you have more questions than that, contact a recruiter, or drop a line I can answer more specific questions.
Blue skies!!!
josh

Thanks for the info, jkm2500!! I will certainly think about it and talk about it with Laura. I guess serving crabby customers in a restaurant isn't my thing, but I would rather serve my country.
That is a lot of time though to take away. But, if I have more questions or anything, I'll let you know!!
And Spectre, for being a "high security clearance, high ranking person", I would think you would have better things to say about it and trying to get people in instead of telling me that serving my country would waste a WHOLE weekend per month. Would that mean that you are wasting everyday of your life??
--------------
Boogie pics coming!!!

Apparently, Spectre isn't a recruiter. If you want someone to blow sunshine up your butt and tell you it is a wonderful life, go to a recruiter.
If you want to know what it is really like, listen to people who have been there.
I agree with Spectre's response that reserves is a waste of time. I spent 3 years active and 5 reserve in the army. My reserve unit was a high tempo unit, and I spent almost 3 of my 5 years deployed or in training because life at the drill hall is a crock of shit. Every time they wanted volunteers to go to some awful place so US soldiers could teach people basic hygeine, I went because I didn't want to fill out those damn life insurance papers again.
If you want to spend a weekend every month standing in line to take an eye test, go for the reserves. If you want to be a soldier, join, but don't take a supply job or desk job, go for rangers or airborne or even infantry. It's a hard life, but it will make you a different person.
Milo

Hey, Brandon

I guess serving crabby customers in a restaurant isn't my thing,

Been there, done that......will do almost anytihng to not do that again.....
but for some weird reason, I thought you were a teacher or studying to be a teacher.....my bad, I guess.
ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

OH yeah, one other thing, I went 6 months where uncle fucking sam and his ring master Mr fucking clinton forgot to pay me....I was so fucking pissed off. Didnt matter what I did or said made it hurry up. remember when you are dealing with the armed services you dont have the rights like you do in the real world.
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

------Where the hell did this soapbox come from and what am I going to say?----------
Don't do it if all you want is money and discipline.
Here's some pros and cons:
Your basic training and job training will take you away from your home and family for at least 6 months, maybe a year or longer.
The money sucks.
Your wife will forget what you look like, because she is not allowed to visit you.
Your job assignment will take you away from home at least 2 weeks a year, possibly much, much more.
The pay really sucks unless you are getting a college loan repayment, and then it still just sucks.
The self discipline you will gain is priceless.
The experiences you will have are priceless.
The money sucks.
Your wife will start to think the next door neighbor looks like you did, the last time she saw you.
The supposed 'free' medical care sucks, you will want to spend your meager paycheck on a civilian doc.
You have several 3 or 4 day holiday weekends while training, maybe you can fly your wife to your school in BumForge Arizona and introduce yourself.
You might get sent to shitholes on some other continent and be forced to shoot folks with IQs of 40 who think you are the enemy. Or, you might never see the folks with IQs of 140 who shoot you because you are the enemy.
I'm not impressed with what I saw of the US Army Reserves. The army WAS good for me, I am a better person because I served. I would still be there if the Reserves was a better run organization that took care of it's members.
I recomend Full Time Active Duty to anyone who asks. It is a hard life, and is not good for people who are married or who wish to be or stay married, and it's only occaisionally fun. It requires a total commitment. But, like the commercial says, 'It's the toughest job you'll ever love'
Don't go for a boring job, though. Finance or Postal may sound ok, but when you think about it, who says 'I want to dedicate my life to being an accountant' for anyone? Because, in order to be satisfying, military service has to be a total dedication. Don't do it if you aren't prepared to change your life.
Milo
(btw, I think it should be called a 'Beer-Box' and not a 'Soap-Box')

If you have your degree or are close to it you might check if you can be an Officer. ROTC (reserve officer traing course) may be one option.
The money is better, and it is very different on the ground than it is for enlisted soldiers
But, the commitment is the same. Don't do it unless you want to give 100%. And be aware of what 100% really is.
Milo.

Hey MM,
If you do do it think about the Navy Res. There is alot less BS with them than the other services (they don't expect you to march). Also a good job to try for is Explosive Ordnance Displosal. You get to dive, maybe jump and use high explosives what more could you ask for.

Another $.02 on the Reserves...
After being on active duty in the 82d, the Army Reserves were a walk in the park. Not hard at all. And the people were a lot smarter in the Reserves, but....
All the important character-building (crappy) experiences that really taught me anything were on active duty. The reserves were the worst of both worlds. Dumb-ass civilian mentality and lack of spirit, coupled with horrible military pay and an obligation to fight if called upon.
If you are feeling patriotic and want to serve your country, then this is an option. Personally, I'd stay a civilian and volunteer some time helping in the inner city or with Habitat for Humanity or something. That way, you can lead a better life yourself and still help out others, on your terms.
It is your call, but at least you're hearing what the recruiters won't tell you. It isn't all bad, but if you have a decent brain (which I bet you do), then you can do a whole lot better for yourself.
Justin
My Homepage

The pay really sucks unless you are getting a college loan repayment, and then it still just sucks.

LOL. If you sign up to do this, what they won't tell you is you have to pay full taxes on this money at the end of the year. You might end up having to take out a loan to be able to afford paying the taxes. My ex-GF did this, and the Army paid off around $39,000 in loans over 3 years. One day after she had gotten out, she got a nice letter from the IRS saying she owed all the taxes on the loan repayment, plus penalties for not claiming it, so she ended up with a bill for around $12-13K.
Like everyone else has said, I really don't think the Army (military in general) is something to do half-assed. The most fun I had in the Army was when I was in Bosnia. Reason: much less bullshit than sitting around at the unit, and a real mission/sense of purpose. The worst times were sitting around at Fort Hood filling out paperwork and the like (which I did WAAYY too much).

I'm not impressed with what I saw of the US Army Reserves. The army WAS good for me, I am a better person because I served. I would still be there if the Reserves was a better run organization that took care of it's members.

To raise it up a notch: I heard that 70% of the people defending our Country are in the Reserves. Also that we could not, at this time, mount the type of effort we did for Desert Storm because of a shortage of people and equipment.
Students of History, does this sound familiar?
flyhiB|

After 9 and a half years I got the hell out and havent looked back. I got pretty tired of risking my life on outdated equipment. I dont think I was asking a lot when all I wanted was some ten year old radios (PRC-117) instead of the jumble of 20-30 year old ones I had. My weapons were crap. My vehicles just as bad. I was expected to do a stellar job with poor equipment and even poorer training. I wasn't even getting paid to travel half the time. The conventional military blows even worse. Especially the Army! If you are going to go in I'm with Spec. Do it right. Get in shape and go be a SQUEEL, PJ, Combat Controller. Do something high speed. Otherwise you are just a grunt and cannon fodder. My personal advice, screw the military. They just want to use you up. If you go in make sure you are the screwer not the screwee!
"Jesus Blessed me with his future...and I protect it with fire!"-R.A.T.M.
Clay

I was in the Coast Guard Reserves for 6 years and then the active Army for 4. If you are really looking for some fun and just have to join, do yourself a favor and join the USCGR.
You can join the other services and TRAIN, or join the USCGR and actually do a job, and also all of the duty stations I was at they really did appreciate the fact you were there, maybe it is because they are such a small organization.
Army reserves would blow. There has to be a real major deal for the USCG to deploy, the army will deploy a reserve unit just to scratch someones ass.
If you really want a good time, see if they have a water purification reserve unit near you, they never get deployed. :)
Rick