Michele

Dear Sky, I know you wait

Dear Sky
I sit here, my mind wanders, adrift in the clear blue memories of you. I crave the feeling I get when I am with you, in you, held by you. The freedom, the joy, the intensity, the miracle that I know waits for me outside the airplane door. It is not mine to possess, but to experience, to most fleetingly know, and I cannot know you again 'til sometime later. But I know you wait.
Patiently, you will wait, until I am able to get to you again. I walk, eyes turned to the deep blue depths, on this earth I love but want to be free of - even for a short moment. I want those moments, stolen like some secret lover, thieved and cherished, hidden away in my heart. I remember our shared seconds, to recall them as I fall to sleep, recall them as I am surrounded by four walls, a roof and a incessently ringing telephone, recall them as I am tied, bound and struggling, to my desk piled with files. I stick my hand out of my sunroof, just to touch the hem of your garments....to touch you, to be part of you, to know you are waiting, waiting, waiting. As I, too, wait. Waiting to shed the confines of the ground, the demands on my time and my heart. Waiting to rid myself of clumsiness, of weight and decorum. To fling away from me, for a time at least, the pressures and chores of daily life. So I wait.
Ach, the air I breathe here on the ground is not the same. It is sour, tired, breathed by many, touched by thousands. It is foul, bracken, stale like the water in a drying creek bed, tarnished like a rose gone to hips, still on it's stem. The air I breathe when I jump is bright, sharp, tasting sweet and pure. The occasional scent wafting upward is easily named - it is, indeed, the sky! The air I jump into is soft, sensual, gentle, holding and touching me, cradling me in it's depth, touching me with the newfound grace that is the sky. When I am flying, it is as if there had been a blindfold removed, and I am allowed to see how life really is - electric, exciting, more defined. And there is nothing I can do but wait.
Wait. To fly freely, chasing the sun, following my shadow, dancing through the daylight haze, this is my torment and my dream. To cruise, gently, easily, through the sky, meeting birds, seeing them as no-one else sees them - these images float past my eyes, in the depth of the sky, in the depth of my mind. To touch a cloud, then, two miles in the sky, this is not for common man, and yet I do this.....and am I not common? Am I not the same as others? And how different I am, because I touch the sky.
I know you wait. I will be there as fast as I can, because I know you wait.
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

Michele once again RIGHT A BOOK. Or atleast send it off to Parachutest before you post it here. But i am still glad you posted it b/c as usual its a peice of art that roles off the tongue!! Good job and keep it coming.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Michele!
It has been 5 years since my initial memories of the sky emerged for the first time, and you've captured the essence of its existence completely.
I remember, after that first (and supposedly only) jump, being at work the next day and looking out the plate glass window at the patch of blue sky that could be seen and longing to be up there again...soon! My co-workers thought I was crazy :^)
The air on the ground is indeed stale, and the air above so sweet.
On my way home from the dz last night, I again put my hand out the window and felt the breeze's inviting silkiness and wished that the day was just beginning again.
Thanks for the re-touch of that first few month's glory. We should all remember...
ltdiver