Deleted

Carrying the mess back

Went out last weekend to do aff. Felt a bit retarded walking back with my main wadded up in front of me, with no real organized way of dealing with it. Tripping over it trying not to let it drag behind me.
Instructors didnt really explain how to neatly deal with this. I realize that it was a 280, but what are the steps to take to properly carry back to hanger?

I wasnt, but I did learn afterwards. What about the rest of the canopy? Grab the pilot chute and bridle, wad it all up and bring it in? I was watching the vets strut in and it looked like they had semi-flaked thiers. But then some were so small some just grabbed them and tossed them over thier shoulders
Thanks

My procedure is basically this:
1. Put the brakes in the stows.
2. Work down the lines, daisy-chaining them and pushing the slider along as you go.
3. Once you reach the slider stops, gather the lines up in your carrying hand (usually my right) and reach over the front to grab the pilot chute & bag (make sure to gather excess bridle as well). I hold these in my other hand.
4. Sling the chute over your shoulder (my right) and lug it in. If it's big you may need to watch to make sure none of the canopy material is dragging on the ground.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

The people who taught me how to pack advised against "daisy-chaining"... instead, try rolling up the lines like you would an electrical extension chord. Once you are up to the slider, lift the mess off the ground, reach down and get the pilot chute and d-bag with your free hand, pass them over and grab them with same hand you are using to hold the lines, and swing the whole thing over your left (or right) shoulder.

Out of curiousity, why? That's just how I was taught for the student canopies I've jumped by the DZO...how he prefers them.

It promotes twisted brake lines (so I was told - I don't daisy-chain, so I haven't actually seen this happen...)

Wow, I never heard that either of those things (not stowing your brakes as soon as you land and/or daisy-chaining) would twist your brake lines. I do stow my brake lines, they taught me to do it, but didn't say why, and I also daisy chain. Took me like six months to get it right, believe or not. hahahaha It was a breeze after I learned to braid hemp, now that's weird! LOL
Anyway, interesting little discussion. I have had twisted brake lines once and a packer helped me fix it up.
Sis

With a big student or tandem canopy I'd get the lines daisy chained then bend over and pick tthe canopy up like a pile of sheets. Tuck here, tuck there... until it was a managable sized ball of fabric with nothing hanging down that I could trip on. With a smaller sport canopy I daisy chain the lines then throw the canopy over my shoulder.
When I was packing I preferred that the lines be daisy chained; I had fewer problems with those than with the ones that were coiled like a rope.
pull and flare,
lisa

That's strange the people would say that daisy chains cause twisted brake lines. My instructor for 3 of my student jumps is also an extremely experienced rigger and he told me to daisy chain.

I never gave it any thought until today - but if your brakes are stowed, nothing should twist up! I will ask more questions at the DZ this weekend, and find out more!
Frank

oh my god! i am so bored im reading a lot of old threads and i found this one.
people advising you to 'gather up the big mess in your arms', you guys arent packers are you? the best advice, and what i teach students after i loose 2 sport rig pack jobs trying to untagle THEIR mess is this:
land safely. if need be run around the canopy to turn the cells away from the wind so they dont reinflate.. stow the breaks, dont worry if thier right or not, cause you should be checking them for twists when you get in the hanger anyway.. you just want them where they belong. if its a big canopy start making big loops with the lines. the bigger the loops, the less loops youll have and the smaller the lines in your hands will be (10 loops are more awkward then 6 loops to hold). walk towards the canopy as you do this, so you dont drag it. if need be pull the lines up as you do this, so that the slider lays against the canopy. now, youve got the lines all the way down to the caopy. grab the tail with your free hand, and place it in the hand with the lines. grab your bridal/bag and pilot chute with free hand.. stuff them in the helmet that you secured around your chest strap.. grab excess bridal and hold onto it. now, youve got one hand holding the lines/tail of the canopy. youre helmet is holding your 'excess' (bridal/bag/pilot chute) and youve got a free hand to switch sides when walking the canopy in, cause those big canopies can tire out your arm. dont forget to sling that canopy over one shoulder before you start walking. if its still dragging on the ground allow the arm that holding them to 'slack' off, so that instead of your hand being shoulder height its stomache level, with the canopy/lines being secured low enough that they dont go over your back and drag on the ground.
if one student from xkeys reads this then im happy... I cant tell you how annoying it is to be packing a navigator 340, only getting paid $5 for it, and having to correct 3 step thru's, while trying to pull the canopy out from inbetween the lines, like when one side is going over the slider and coming out at the nose.. Packers loose money fixing stuff like that, and it doesnt make them happy.
if youre packng for yourself, roll around in the canopy, flip your container, tie knots in it, do whatever you like, but if im your packer, do me a favor and be neat about it. i have other rigs to pack.
and it only took about 300 student/large canopy pack jobs to get to the point where i lost all patience on this issue.....
a very immobile and unable to jump/bored out of my mind, Kelly
"i can not attest to what i did, just what i remember...."
~me, after one too many

Holy cow, Kel......that injury not only hurt your foot, your ass is gonna be as big as a house if you're sitting there reading posts back to March!!!! I looked in here 'cause I was curious when they re-enabled anonymous posting!!!
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

I slap the slider down to the caopy with a light whip action, I stow breaks, loop my lines in my right hand push the slider on down with my left hand, jerk the canopy around a little to get the air out and then.... grab the D bag and nose and put that in my right hand with the lines looped. Then pick up the bridle and loop that around something too, my thumb.
This makes my canopy look smaller and cooler! I think anyway, and also it keeps it small so I dont drag stuff or get caught up in the wind and fall down and get all beat up.
Skydive~Friends~Happiness
AirAnn
http://www.AirAnn.com

WARNING!
I have been advised never to daisy chain in the main landing area. Only when landing out.
There have been several instances of people in the midst of daisy chaining (thus having thier hands in the lines) having their hands torn up when another jumper landing accidently snags a bit of thier canopy or lines and pulls everything tight.