Michele

A Favor for a Friend - please advise

I know what it is like to have that done as it was done to me while i was still a low time jumper. But what you have failed to think about why would a person who has a canopy that takes a 1000ft to open would want to suck it down to 2000ft! That would put you open at 1000ft and thats too low.

Zipper, I think you misunderstand. The decision altitude is 2000 so she will cutaway above 2000 if she has a malfunction. Normal altitude for opening her main is not lower then 3500ft so that leaves her a margin of 500ft to identify a mal and deal with it..
A reserve doesn't take 1000ft to open but less then 300ft

***USPA has this rule for a reason.***
be it 3.5 or 4, USPA has rules about that???!!!!???? rules???? as opposed to recommendations??? man, you folks in the US are evn more F-Uped then these brits I live with now!
Back in the land of the chosen (yes, thats Canada;), actually, Quebec is the land of the chosen (dont tell my Albertan wife that I said that), but I digress), there are only 10 basic rules ( BSR Basic Skydiving Rules) for licenced jumpers.... the rest are recommendations... (students have a few extra BSRs).
Remi
Muff 914

Maybe a little late (after a dentist visit, I spent an entire afternoon wishing I was dead :(), but here's my 2 cents anyway:
Personally, I don't find the given heights (3,000 ft. opening and 1,700 ft.steerable canopy) terribly nerveracking, but that's just me. The most important point is that your friend was highly uncomfortable with those heights. >:(
I think that the AFF J/M took the wrong person to "have fun" with. I doubt it was her intention to scare your friend. But from an AFF J/M, you'd expect a better judgement of whom you can and cannot do such things with.
Anyway, when confronted, she (the JM) was way out of line if you ask me. Although she just wanted to play (I think), she scared the friggin' hell out of your friend with that stunt. An apology and a couple of beers seem more in place than getting angry with your friend.
I must admit that nobody ever did something like that to me, though.
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

This has actually happened to me -- I got fruitlooped at my pull altitude back when I was an even LOWER timer than I am now. I think I'd intended to pull at about 4ish, so that put me -- just around 3, maybe? A little higher?
Anyway, on the ground I caused a big -- good-natured -- scene (I hadn't been scared because I was pulling so high, but still, it was my dang pull altitude!), and a friend asked, "Is it on video?"
Nope, I said. "Then it never happened," he said, chortling.
Anyway, my point is this happens a lot, and it's meant to be a fun, buddy-buddy-gotcha type of thing, but I agree that people sometimes aren't mindful of the skills and experience of the people they're doing it to.
http://alexthedestroyer.50megs.com