Milo

Jumping without a license at new DZs?

Hey All,
I'm a new, unlicensed and (so far) non-uspa member, skydiver.
I graduated a static line progression course from a DZ in Michigan this summer.
The weather has turned cold here.
This winter I will travel for work to Miami, LA, Dallas, Cincinnati, and a few other places.
I would also consider emptying my bank account to fly to a warmer climate where the sky is blue and I can jump.
As an unlicensed jumper what difficulties will I face if I show up at a DZ without my own equipment, but with a log book? Does USPA membership make a difference at some DZs? (It was not a requirement at mine.)
Is rental equipment usually available?
One last thing--- I think I come from a "dry" dz. If I show up at your dz do I have to buy beer for all the 'firsts' that have not been celebrated in my progression?
Thanks!
Milo

If you have graduated from a student program, get a licence.
Period.
Most DZs will not even consider letting you jump there without a A licence at least.
As far as "X"PA membership goes, lots of DZ will require it, and if you go abroad, some will demamd you sign up with the local org (the same happens with us sometime when we visit the US, and we are asked to get a temp. USPA membership, and when we moved to the UK, the 1st DZ we went to dequired BPA membership).
Remi
Muff 914

The easiest thing for you to do is to deal with the cold and get your license.
My DZ will let you jump, but will probably make you go through a mini-refresher course to prove that you know your emergency drills.
I think most DZ have gear you can rent!
About the beer, no you don't have to buy for former firsts, just any that occur while jumping at the new DZ ( you owe at least one case- your first jump at the new DZ!)

Some people will say anything to get a newbie to buy beer!!!!

When I graduated AFF, I went and bought a case of Corona and brought it back to the DZ. The people looked at me like I was a Martian. Evidently they just tell everyone they owe beer, but almost nobody ever brought it in. The DZO saw me walking toward the fridge with it and said, "You know, you didn't REALLY have to do that." But I did, and it was good. Now I can drink other people's beer if they ever bring it in....
Justin
My Homepage

There's a non-USPA member DZ near Cinci that I know of. They have gear to rent. You'd need to prove you know what you're doing - show your logbook, talk to a jm, make a jump with a coach or jm. It is of course completely up to them, so you'd probably want to call first just to make sure.
Not the warmest climate, but probably better than Michigan!
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag

The DZO saw me walking toward the fridge with it and said, "You know, you didn't REALLY have to do that."

I'm not sure I'd want to jump there!! At my DZ if you don't bring beer for a first your shunned and stoned! :D We've ALWAYS got someone doing something for the first time. Even Zennie bought a KEG of beer because he had logged so many firsts. Come down to Texas Justin and we'll show you how to celebrate a first... oh and no Corona, we prefer Shiner Bock or Lil Green Bottles :)My New Website with 24hr Chat

oh and no Corona, we prefer Shiner Bock or Lil Green Bottles

Hey, they said Corona, so Corona they got. I'd have been happier with a case of Guiness, but I doubt they'd have been pleased with it.
When I continue my DZ tour, I'll be happy to buy beer. The hard part is finding the time to do it. The whole family thing keeps interfering. Ah well.
I'd love to get down there to visit and jump. Some day....
Justin
My Homepage

I think that at 99 out of 100 DZs, they will either:
1) refuse to let you jump (unless you go through the FJC and all, which of course is not what you want);
2) require you to go through a refresher course
3) require you to do a so-called check-out jump
The decision is primarily based on your logbook: currency, number of jumps and the remarks in your logbook.
I suggest you call/email a couple of DZs and ask where they stand.
As for my own experience: after having made 17 jumps at Perris, I had to return to my home country without a license. My new home-DZ back here in Holland only required a check-out jump and didn't even ask about emergency procedures or anything. But then again, I had a signed logbook not containing any serious incidents (except maybe for jump #14 ;) You can read about it on my website if you want: http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven/cgi-bin/logbook.cgi?equip=0&remarks=1&jump=14), and proving that I was current.
Keep in mind, though, that most DZs will require you to be a USPA member. At most DZs, joining the USPA is an instantaneous process. There is a 40-day membership available if you want. If I recall correctly, it costs less than a lift ticket.
Good luck
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

You need a minimum of an A-license to skydive at other than your home DZ. If you are through with SL progression, then you ought to have sufficient jumps to get the license. If you show up somewhere else without it, they will either: 1) make you go through their student program; or 2) at least force you to make some Level 5-7 AFF type jumps; or 3) tell you to beat it. Bottom line is that they have no reason whatsoever to accept your logbook for face value.
Beer? Bet your ass you are going to buy some beer!
Chuck
D-12501
My webpage HERE

Your best bet if your going to other DZs is to finish your license requirements where ever you go. With the new ISP it should be quite easy for each DZ to help you through it. An A license is only a piece of paper, but the knowledge and experience you acquire while getting it will make you a safer skydiver. I've seen students breeze through AFF and then have huge difficulties with the required prelicense skills jumps, ie, orbits, docks, etc. It's really not a question of "could" you jump without a license?, but "should" you jump? And to be honest, you probably shouldn't without going through and getting your license. Stay safe bro.
Cheers
-T3

oh and no Corona, we prefer Shiner Bock or Lil Green Bottles

I think you need to kneel and bow to the beer gods and repent for not drinking Miller Lite, Lonestar or Pearle. All that extra money for Shiner (the only domestic beer with an import price) could have been jumped. I'd like to see you go to the Hall (the Texas Hall of Fame) or the Dixie Chicken and try to order anything in a green bottle. :D
I do agree, though, come down to Texas and have some fun. You'll need to get a USPA membership, but I'm sure if you talk to the DZO you'll beable to jump if you have had the correct training. They may have you jump with a jumpmaster to verify you're not going to kill yourself on their DZ.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

You need a minimum of an A-license to skydive at other than your home DZ.

Y'all, this just isn't necessarily true.
I jumped at four different DZs without a problem without an A license. And I had no problem renting gear, either.
Call ahead. Explain your situation. In my opinion, most DZs would be glad to take your money and take over your training.
http://alexthedestroyer.50megs.com

I think you need to kneel and bow to the beer gods and repent for not drinking Miller Lite, Lonestar or Pearle. All that extra money for Shiner (the only domestic beer with an import price) could have been jumped.

NOW JUST HOLD ON THERE BUCKO!
I'm as Texan as you can get without owning a single pair of Wranglers or pointy-toed boots, and as a Texan, I feel I deserve beer that doesn't taste like pee!!! :D
http://alexthedestroyer.50megs.com

Also remember that I AM in college and I AM pretty much broke. So be happy I'm buying beer. ;) Hey, be happy I'm not buying Olympia. That is actually the *only* beer that I've had that I won't drink. That's what I bought for my SCR ceremony, I think it was around $3.50 for a 12-pack.
AggieDave '02
-------------
BTHO t.u.

[showing my age]
When I was in Germany from '82-'84, me and my two roommates, almost every day, would go and buy an CASE of Old Millwauke from the PX at lunch for $3.50 and put it in the fridge. We would get off work at 4:30 and shotgun the entire slab. Noice!
Chuck
Also: remember that every one you turn down is one you missed, and the worst I ever had was wonderful. This applies to many things, especially beer.
My webpage HERE

On a similar note, what annoys me is when you drink good (read pricey) beer, and the masses that only want to pay the price of a coors or miller light bring a case of said beer to share.
At the end of the evening, they take the attitude that all the beer is community since everyone "chipped in" and brought beer. Sure enough, your green bottles are the FIRST to go.
They seem to take the attitude that its a fair trade that they should drink your green bottles and you can drink thier canned pee... I mean cheap domestics. I feel bad not "sharing", but it just isnt fair. (especially when you only get 1 beer out of your 6 because your green bottles didnt even make it thru the first round. )
Yes, some of us actually buy beer that tastes good, not just something to choke down to get us drunk.
/vent

ahhhh........ don't even get me started... my current beer of choice is only 8 bucks a case here in good ole germany but as soon as i get to the states it goes up to 8 bucks for a 6 pack......... ya know what the similarity is between a couple laying in the bottom of a canoe and american beer?.....they are both fucking close to water....lol i love that one.......
***I feel I deserve beer that doesn't taste like pee!!! ***
jess,
please tell me you don't know this from experiance..... maybe it should read " i feel i deserve beer that doesn't tase like what pee would probly taste like"..........
on the other hand... MGD is liable to be found in my fridge now and again.... more likely nice bottles from holland.... but the real stuff comes in brown bottle not green........

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

There's a common misconception that people like myself only drink domestics to get drunk, that's not true. Also, when I bring beer to the DZ, it's beer I want to drink, so I drink what I brought and share with others. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
BTHO t.u.