Hollywood5581

Leg Straps on a Wings Container

Hey all, question about my leg straps on my container. I love my Wings Container, however when I'm in the saddle, the straps really dig into my legs, and it's super uncomfortable almost to the point where it hurts. Is this a common problem? Or is it due to maybe I tighten my straps too tight? I bought the container new direct from Wings. I've even lost a few pounds since then. Advice, ideas, questions are welcomed. If I'm missing anything in my description please ask and I'll be sure to answer back ASAP. Thanks everyone.

Blue Skies

I have a wings as well but I'm not sure it matters a whole ton. I've always been told to "sit" in my rig but end up just kinda hanging on my leg straps. The other day, just because I had some extra altitude to play with, I pulled down on both of my front risers and when I let off and came out of the dive my leg straps had slid forward just enough to finally achieve that "sitting" position. Ordinarily I have a difficult time shimmying and repositioning to do it properly but if you can get your weight off your leg straps and slide them forward a bit I think you'll find them more comfortable.

jzzsxm

I have a wings as well but I'm not sure it matters a whole ton. I've always been told to "sit" in my rig but end up just kinda hanging on my leg straps. The other day, just because I had some extra altitude to play with, I pulled down on both of my front risers and when I let off and came out of the dive my leg straps had slid forward just enough to finally achieve that "sitting" position. Ordinarily I have a difficult time shimmying and repositioning to do it properly but if you can get your weight off your leg straps and slide them forward a bit I think you'll find them more comfortable.

Repositioning legstraps after opening should not be necessary to be comfortable. Was this rig ordered specifically for you or did you buy it stock/used?

Also, are the legstraps unusually short? So long that you can't synch them snug? Are they single or double wide (not sure if that's an option on Wings).
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It wasn't a stock, I bought it to fit me. The l straps I would say are more on the short side. The padding part doesn't overlap, there is about an inch gap between the padding from upper to lower on the leg harness. Since I took my Canopy course I did start sitting it relieves some the pressure but sometimes it is hard to try and sit.

More guesswork:

If it weren't a custom rig, I'd ask whether the laterals are too short for your body, pulling the leg strap junction back, leaving you more 'hanging forward' than 'sitting back'. Early 1980s rigs were often more like that. But as you said, it is a custom rig.

A newer jumper is more likely to over-tighten the leg straps. Are you comfortable walking to the plane and sitting in the plane?

Hollywood5581

It wasn't a stock, I bought it to fit me. The l straps I would say are more on the short side. The padding part doesn't overlap, there is about an inch gap between the padding from upper to lower on the leg harness. Since I took my Canopy course I did start sitting it relieves some the pressure but sometimes it is hard to try and sit.

I find it baffling that people keep thinking that the legPAD has to overlap.
What purpose does having a legpad sitting on TOP of your thigh serve ???

BTW :
Legstrap = webbing
Legpad = the closed cell foam pad encased in cordura that's sewn onto the legstrap webbing.

Most people complaining about legpads may have one of the following :
* have legpads that are too short, and are in fact having the legstrap digging into their thigh. Easy fix - get longer legpads
* their MLW is too short, and after opening the legpads dig into their thighs. Fix - resize the harness or get a new container :)
* they have an old container and their padding inside the legpads is worn and has no cushioning - getting new legspads is a good and cheap solution. I see that a lot on old vector2's

Hollywood5581

It wasn't a stock, I bought it to fit me.

Can you get yourself and your rig to Sunrise Rigging at Z-hills? I'm sure Tony and the gang will have a good look at you wearing the rig and make any adjustments you need to make it comfortable for you. I've found them pretty responsive for the 2 wings I've owned. Both were bought from new and to fit me.

A crude drawing.
Have to get the back part of the leg strap forward, easier when the main lift web is further forward, and when the legs are raised. Nicer to 'sit on your butt/thighs' than to 'hang from your groin'.

[inline straps.jpg]

I can walk to the plane comfortably. I played with it just last Saturday, I wore it as I normally did, tight, cause I'm a new jumper. I loosened it a little to see if it was more comfortable. As I was trying to sit in my harness the straps were still digging into my thighs. So whether tight or not it's still really uncomfortable as hell. Apologies for not being able to answer back to everyone's questions sooner. And I thank everyone for their answers so far.