Pammi

Perhaps only cuz I'm drunk...

But I found this very amusing to find on the Enclave :)
AD Number: 4954 - Posted on: Dec 14, 2001 Expires on: Mar 17, 2002 Click on name to send E-mail * Skydiving Ads at The Skydivers Enclave *
By: NARCONON ARROWHEAD To visit our web site Click Here!
BEST OFFER FOR: NARCONON ARROWHEAD
NARCONON ARROWHEAD Long-term, non-traditional rehabilitation for drug and alcohol abuse. 74% success rate. We provide free assessment, evaluation and referral services. Don’ t give up, drug addiction can be overcome. Call Narconon at 1-800-468-6933 or visit our website at www.stopaddiction.com

Family Photos

"Carb Heat On...Carb Heat On...Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)????:D freeflir29, I just don't get it-- what does the above quoted phrase from your CFI have to do with the 74% success rate of Pammi's find? Or is it that you're just extremely easily amused and can't hold it in? ;)
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Carb Heat On...Carb Heat On...Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra

I'd have to say that is a slight misquote. Because not only does Clay always forget to turn on the carb heat, he usually forgets to turn it off too! :)I think a better quote would be "carb heat then power". That works for both reducing and increasing power. I wish I had that recorded for yesterday!
I know someone else that always forgets the carb heat, but he has only been flying the new fuel-injected planes that don't have carb heat.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

I'll put special thought into before we go up tomorrow. For some reason it isn't automatic yet. I put it on my signature so it'll be all the more of a reminder. I also have to make some checklists. The ones in the plane suck.
"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

I'll put special thought into before we go up tomorrow. For some reason it isn't automatic yet. I put it on my signature so it'll be all the more of a reminder.

Just remember.....reducing power, left to right.....adding power, right to left.. Reducing - carb heat, throttle, prop, mixture.. Adding - mixture, prop, throttle, carb heat..

I also have to make some checklists. The ones in the plane suck.

Checklists?! We don't need no stinkin' checklists! :P
Mike

"Checklists?! We don't need no stinkin' checklists!"
Funny you should say that. I busted my first ETAC checkride in the Air Force (The more experienced guys said this major set out to bust me from the start. Seems he thought I was cocky????) One of the things he brought up was the fact that I didn't use a checklist. I was taught not to by my mentor. He said to always comitt everything to memory. I guess that is the difference in someone that spends their days riding around in a heated and air conditioned F-111 cockpit and a forward air controller engaged in ground combat. It was OK though....I found out later (I was young and didn't know all the rules yet) that it is squarely against the regs for an officer to give an enlisted guy a checkride. Funny though, enlisted guys give officers check rides all the time. I got another check in two weeks which I passed with flying colors....:)For now....as a pilot....I'll use my checklists until I get a couple thousand hours in type......
"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

Just remember.....reducing power, left to right.....adding power, right to left.. Reducing - carb heat, throttle, prop, mixture.. Adding - mixture, prop, throttle, carb heat..

Mike, don't confuse the guy even more! I've been trying to teach him carb heat then power for both reduction and increase.
Carb heat first on the reduction is a no-brainer since if you did it last it would change your power setting. My instructor, who has over 1500 hours of instruction, recommended carb heat first on the increase as well. That way they are much less likely to forget about it and take off with partial power. You might not notice if you forgot the carb heat, but you will definitely notice if you forgot the throttle! Hence doing the throttle after.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

For now....as a pilot....I'll use my checklists until I get a couple thousand hours in type......

I hope you didn't take my comment on the issue seriously.....I still use checklists even though I fly 70-80 hours a month in the same type, and I have almost 1000 hours in type.. It's a bit different for us, though - since we have many, many more items on the checklist AND an NFP to accomplish 'em.....but it's definitely a good habit.. IMO, checklists and checking the gear many times before landing are the best habits a pilot can get into..
I re-check the gear at every configuration change, and then on short final as well.....overall, about 5 times before landing.. I've never missed the gear, and I do this to ensure I never will.. Just seeing it happen(while holding short) to a Citation VII was enough to drill that into my head..
Mike

Mike, don't confuse the guy even more! I've been trying to teach him carb heat then power for both reduction and increase.
Carb heat first on the reduction is a no-brainer since if you did it last it would change your power setting. My instructor, who has over 1500 hours of instruction, recommended carb heat first on the increase as well. That way they are much less likely to forget about it and take off with partial power. You might not notice if you forgot the carb heat, but you will definitely notice if you forgot the throttle! Hence doing the throttle after.

I'm not trying to undermind what you're teaching him(when did you get your CFI?), so I won't press the issue.....but I will tell you that I certainly don't agree with that philosophy.. Regardless of how much dual given your instructor has(I have well over 1000 in piston a/c, if it matters), he probably taught that because that's how he was taught.. IMO(and in my practical experience), it causes undue risk..
Mike

"Just seeing it happen(while holding short) to a Citation VII was enough to drill that into my head.."
No doubt!!! I watched a guy ruin a newly purchased $50,000 twin on his 5th touch and go. He rode the power all the way to flare so the gear warning never went off until it was too late. Fortunately the gear is always down on a 172. Now, my dream plane is a Mooney with that wonderful retrac gear!!!! :)"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay