RedBull

SETI@Home

Does anyone else participate in the SETI@Home project?
For those of you who haven't heard of it, it allows anyone with a PC and an internet connection to help out with the SETI project (The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence). It's the project Jodie Foster was a part of in "Contact". It listens to radio noise from space and searches for evidence of non-randomness.
A program on your PC analyses a chunk of radio noise data (collected from the Aricebo radio telescope in Puerto Rico), sends the results back to SETI, and then gets another (run 24/7 or as a screen saver). It's pretty cool. The program itself looks pretty cool whilst it doing its thing, too. I've racked up about 1050 results now from 2.3 years of CPU time.

You can download at:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
We should form a dropzone.com team.
"If Fonzie is so cool, why does he hang around high school nerds?" - anonymous post from jumptheshark.com

I am participating too. Every night I look at the sky to see a UFO. To see an alien grab his neck and beat the next week's lottery number out of him.
Hey you!
You with that pale grey skin and big black eyes, want something? You deaf? I am talking to you, ballon head...

I've also heard that they're getting people to use those old satellite dishes (those big ones that people used to use before they came out with those little ones) to look for signals. Evidently, if you get enough people using these all over the planet, it's supposed to be even more effective than those giant white telescope/antennae thingies that NASA has out in the desert.
Speed Racer
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork from my lunch?!
-WC Fields

I have 855 data units completed. ([email protected])
I love the stuff, study of the cosmos, astrophysics; have read Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time” about 5 times. Each time I understand it a little more. Reality is much stranger than fiction. Hate the tabloid shit. I’m 100% sure there is life elsewhere. Would like to see what lies beneath the ice of Europa, down near the volcanic vents.
-Larry

in reply to what freeflir29 wrote this was said:

Now I can BELIEVE this one!! I'm sure there was no contact with intelligent life

dudes!!!!,
what the hell, ya talkin' ta me? i say ya talkin' ta me?? ya better watch it!!!! i know judo, ju don't know if i got a knife, ju don't know if i got a gun....... :) and clay we know they didn't find any inteligant life in the military but your results were taken from a bad sample, you need to survey all the branches not just the army!!!!!! :)
"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

"you need to survey all the branches not just the army!!!!!!"
Funny thing was....in all seriousness.....the longer I was a ROMAD the less I could stand the "Regular Air Force" people. Bunch a freakin whinin little bitches (No offense) I can say that too.....I was an aircraft mechanic for 3 years before I cross trained. I was ashamed of what I had been...LOL But...I bettered myself! As you shall! Airman Leadership School was torture. Being stuck hanging out with Air Force folk for 5 weeks. I was the class leader though so I got to run the show. In the end I got the Levitow. I'm pretty sure it was because of my propensity to cuss the class out behind closed doors. I could see the smirks of about half the class as I was doing it. I was saying all the things most people wouldn't. The other half was in shock that someone would "insult" them like that. It was kinda fun but annoying all at the same time. I was in the right so fuck em!
I couldn't stand the regular joes in the army either. They were quite often a couple fries short of a happy meal. The Officers were pot luck. You never knew from one to the next if they were any good or not. You just had to get to know them. I worked with many good ones and several really bad ones. The SF guys are where it's at. Good folks! They are smart. Work hard as hell and play just as hard. The Officers don't have attitudes unlike conventional forces. If they had attitudes they'll get their ass handed to them by the enlisted guys or just find their stuff sitting outside the team room when they come to work. Not very subtle those guys...LMAO I found some pretty good folks while in the military. They always seemed to be the exception rather than the rule. So, I had to move on.......It will be interesting to see if you still want to get out after you become a ROMAD Wingi. I think it might change your mind.
"and I'm not easily impressed...Ooohh look...a blue car!" -Homer Simpson