Muenkel

Give the Canadians the Gold!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the PBS website.
"The Statue of Liberty was given to the United States by France in recognition of the friendship established between the 2 nations during the American Revolution.
It was originally intended as a gift to celebrate the 100th anniversary of America's independence in 1876. Raising funds to design, ship and construct the massive structure took longer than anticipated, however, and the statue didn't find its home in New York harbor until 1886.
Once there, it quickly became the world's most widely recognized symbol of liberty. Immigrants streaming into the United States by way of nearby Ellis Island were guided to America's shores, in a literal and a symbolic sense, by Liberty's torch.
----------------------------------------------------------
So lets stop slamming a whole country because of a few assholes....mmMM-KAAAYYYY????;):)

Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

(It wasn't slamming, it was joking...eitherway, just about every American I know that has ever been over there has been treated like absolute shit by the natives...including my folks who visited France for a few weeks while being station in Germany back in the '70s).
"Alright, at 4500 lets break it, turn 360 and track away..."

Yep, I'll admit, from what I've heard.. it seems like some French, especially in Paris, seem to be God's gift to themselves...
But I've also heard that they can be just as bad to one another, based on what my stepsister has told me (she spent a summer there) & what I've seen in movies, if they're accurate. Especially in Paris, the French will just rip into someone & spew insults at the smallest provocation in a way that would shock Americans & Brits. If you went around in some American neighborhoods with an attitude like that you'd probably get your ass kicked or shot! But anyway, the abuse isn't necessarily directed at just foreigners.
Also in France there's a different attitude about serving customers. In America & Britain the idea is to serve the customer well, & do it better than the shop down the street with which you're competing. They don't think like that in France. In France, unless the guy in the shop actually owns the place, a customer is just a pain in the ass that has to be dealt with. And if you don't speak French, well, you're just a bigger pain in the ass. Unless you come in & spend a LOT of money, then they become friendlier!
Speed Racer

well, I think it goes deeper than that. Maybe people are more polite to strangers in the US b/c you don't know who's packing! I for one will not flip the bird to someone who cuts me off in traffic
....Isaac Asimov once said, "An armed society is a polite society!" LOL!!
Speed Racer

Maybe that has something to do with the fact that you aren't supposed to tip in Europe because the tip is already included.

I wish someone had told me this before my trip to England this past fall. I couldn't figure out why all the brits were mumbling "Dumb bloody American" while counting the extra pounds I left. Plus the exchange rate sucked when I was over there!
"I am a victim of my environment."
Chris

That's an interesting theory but I am pretty sure it is more involved than just being afraid that person might shoot you. Probably has something to do with ages of socio-cultural development. :)Besides we are talking about the French right? You know the country that has a 25 hour work week and can still find reasons to go on strike all the time. :D
"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

I wish someone had told me this before my trip to England this past fall. I couldn't figure out why all the brits were mumbling "Dumb bloody American" while counting the extra pounds I left. Plus the exchange rate sucked when I was over there!

I'm sure that they were still glad to keep your money. :)"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

Exchange rate sucked last fall??? How bad could it have been? When I visted there in 1988 with my girlfriend, a british pound cost $1.85- $1.90!!
Now it's $1.43, but last fall it couldn't have been more than about $1.65.... Beats the shit out of 1988 exchange rate, anyway!!
Speed Racer

Muenkel: It doesn't matter whether the unit of currency in a given country is lower or higher than our unit (the dollar) That's not the way it works. The unit used is totally arbitrary, it has nothing to do with actual buying power.
If that were true, then Japan would be cheap as hell!!
Speed Racer

Was it the same judges judging the event? The Canadian pair got robbed but at least they get support. I don't know alot about figure skating but i saw their performance on the news the other day (CBC) and It was the most syncronised pair of skaters i saw. (They must Be sleepin 2getter) LOL. Still they deserve the gold and something needs to be done about the judging factor.
P.L.U.R.

"a second gold will be given to Canada."
WOOHOO! :)but do you think that the Russian deserves a gold also? Do they get to keep their silver too :P? I still think they're (Canadian) the only deserving the gold but hey it's better than nothing.
P.L.U.R.

Who cares? It's not like Canada is a real country anyways

Oooohh.....somebody's looking for a spanking!!! ;)

English speaking canadian putting a poor unsuspecting Quebequois under some sort of sexual charm

Now there is a big fat lie if I ever heard one! :D It is you frenchmen that scoop up us sweet, innocent, unsuspecting Alberta girls!
Tee

"I say, Where the hell is Tonya Harding when you need her?"
LOL!
Tee: i have to agree with the Alberta girl description you just gave but i think Remi is right with is theory ....or maybe it's our accent....;) either way it's all good.
Diverds:[Stalin's voice on] Will conquer those Capitalist by any means necessary we are the best skaters in the world BWAHAHAHA[Stalin's voice off]
P.L.U.R.