Emmie

Experienced jumpers cracking on students

Don't sweat it.. Just don't give up and you will join the ranks.. You can't pay attention to shallow people that don't think before they speak.. Just keep going and we will see you at the finish line!!! Never give up!! Keep the faith!!
If I took it personally everytime someone in skydiving dogged me I would have quit ten times already. I do this for ME. For MY enjoyment. Do it for yourself and don't let anyone get in your way. PROVE THEM WRONG :) Your actions will put that so called instructor in his place.
Me personally.. I would approach this person find out if he really was talking behind my back, if he wasn't fine, if he was I would express my lack of appreciation for his lack of tact, then I would ask him why he feels this way. And what does he suggest for me to get better?
Rhino
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!

I've got it on one of my student jumps the JM is giving me a hand motion like hes throwing something. This is on the dive where I had my feet out too much and kinda out tracked him. While watching the video I asked what he ment by that motion. He said it ment take up bowling, skydivings not for you :)Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

I read a story in Parachutist 3-4 years ago about a guy (don't remember his name) that did something like 68 static line jumps before doing his first freefall (bear with me I wasn't a static line student so I don't know the progression) but the point is, every instructor told him he wasn't cut out for this sport and he should quit. But he didn't give up and he's a top notch skydiver today with 1000's of jumps.
So if you really want to be a skydiver, hang in there and it will happen.
Rhonda

One of the guy's that jumps at my DZ took something like 98 jumps to get off student status. He did Staic Line in England and since he took time off a few times he had to keep restarting. He's got like 650 jumps now and is a SkydiveU coach.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

skygod! that sums it up.
there was a student(i never met him) that took 9 years to get certified. on of the instructors told me. i was watching here fill this book in and she was amazed. they started jumpint around the same time but she was an instructor he was a student. no horror stories but we were talking about how wierd it would be.i was a low timer w like 10 jumps and that still seemed wierd to me. but piont is, the guy did it!
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Hang in there Emmie. There are so many instructors out there, all with different personalities and styles, and I reckon you just have to find a few who you click with, who will encourage you and bring out the best in you.
I learnt at a dz that has heaps of instructors, but only a few who work every weekend. I took 46 jumps and a loooong time to get my A license (static line, should take about 22) and some of the instructors that tried to teach me only took me up once, and then gave up. At the time I didn't know they had given up on me, I just never had them again. But a few of the guys were really positive and supportive and they got me through, they perservered, understood, and admired my determination. After I finally got my license as some of the instructors congratulated me they admitted that they never thought I would do it. At least they were honest!!!
If anyone looks at my logbook they can see that I 'had' every instructor on the dz........lol
You can do it Emmie.
Go for it ALL

Myself got through AFF progression in 7 jumps last summer, now since I suck at sport in general and can't catch a ball even at gunpoint I was kind of surprised.
I see there is some of stories about people needing lots and lots of jumps to get of student status that are now instructors. Does it often happen the other way around? People getting of student status in notime, but not getting any further no matter how much they try?

"I did'nt even bother opening on my first jump, i just tracked to a picnic area on a hill and spent the afternoon eating cucumber sandwiches with the Queen."
ROFLMAO hahahahahahah
Hey EdDuckWater
did you do any tunnel time before aff, I heard of one bloke who got his aff after 4 jumps, he worked at sky venture!!
"Skydiving's a source, it'll change your life, swear to God"