Magistr8

New to the game

Hey everyone
I'm new to the sport and just finished my GFF program and I loved every minute of it and know that I will be going hard core in the future. I was wondering what you had for some advice to the newbie on what kinds of equipment I should start with and how to break into the sport.
Thanks
Magistr8
Blue Skies
Peter Rodrigues

So ya discovered our secret, huh?!? Welcome to our addiction ... put the house up for sale, say goodbye to all your friends, and start saving up for beer...
Previously owned gear is likely where you will want to start... you'll learn lots both here and at your DZ over the coming months... ask many questions... just get out and jump as often as you can afford. The more frequently you can jump, the quick you will "break in" to skydiving.

ditto what frank said...... and he's not kidding about putting the house up for sale...he just moved his family to the dz and they now live in an 8x10 trailer and he hires his kids out to pack and his wife picks up jumpers that land off in the family hugo.......

"i may not go to heven, i hope you go to hell"-C.C.

I dive out of winipeg and only have the opprotunity to jump for 6 months of the year. This makes the saving money for the jumps easy and the beer that much better when I get it. I need to find used equipment in my area to pick up and in a hurry. DZ opens in 2 months and I need gear that I know will work. I have done the research on mirage and dolphins systems and they seem to be the preffered choice for newbies. Unfortuanatly I cannot try out these rigs to see how I like them. Have a good deal on a dolphin complete set for 1100$ Good deal or bad?
Blue Skies
Peter Rodrigues

he just moved his family to the dz and they now live in an 8x10 trailer and he hires his kids out to pack and his wife picks up jumpers that land off in the family hugo.......

Bwahahhaahahah!!!
btw, I haven't jumped for almost a month, but I'm going up tomorrow -- I'm wearing my RW suit as I type this! Talk about psyched!!!

Being a somewhat of a newbie too, can't say for sure, but from what I know, Dolhpins are what you said ... good starter rigs for belly fliers ... as to it being a good deal, I think that would depend on what main and reserve are in it and the condition of them and the container.

This whould be better asked in the gear area but I'll answer it here too...
Dolphins are popular because they are cheap and get the job done. Mirages are WAY more expensive, but diferent options. Javelins are the most popular rigs in the states, and in nearby areas too.
1100 for a complete rig? What condition is it in , whats the canopies, etc... A rigger can answer the questions if its worth the money based on its condition and canopy selection. Velco on rigs require regualr maintence. Add the projected maintence into a rig to see if its stil la good value. (look at Vector rigs too, very sweet design and they invented almost everything in use on a container today)
The bigest question is are the canopies the right ones for you? Are they to small for your skill level or are they to big and you will be instantly bored with them and wanting something else? Your instructors can tell you that best. Wingloading of 1 foot canopy per 1 exit pound for your first main and reserve canopies seems to be a good starting area usually. Elliptical is BAD for newbies. If you are unsure what proformance level a canopy is, look it up on the makes website or ask in he gear area. To high of proformance for skill level has killed way too many jumpers.
Having long terms of uncurrency is bad for you. It's way eaiser to mess something up when you come back every spring or just forget things. I'd try and sit in on a Jump class again to relearn the canopy mals and the correct actions at least. Read the skydive Incident webpage to under stand what has killed other jumpers and what can be learned from each death [url=http://www.skydivenet.com/fatalities[/url] There are about 300 deaths worldwide in the last few years to read about so it should take a few readings to let all the info sink in.
If you did your research, you looked at the used gear ads on here right? ;)
And thats my summery of newbie answers for the night....
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

the javeling container has a crossfire main chute and a pd reserve. After reading some of the posting though I wondering what sort of things to look for when actually checking out the rig. The main has 300 jumps and the reserve has 1.
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Peter Rodrigues

Don't get a Crossifre yet, they are high proformance canopies that are not starter canopies. Talk to your instructor and rigger before continuining your search for gear so you don't look at things that are over your skill level.
Spectre's, Triathlons, Omega's, are all great starter canopies for ZP, F1-11 look at the PD 9 cell series. Get big, not little.
Read the Gear and Rigging and Safety fourms on a regular basis and do a search in the archives for most questions's answers. This fourm system has been up for over a year and very few questions have not been asked/answered at one time or another.

Getting the rig is exciting and something that I know i'm goign to have to get soon if I really want to start working on my FF and RW skills. As for going every spring, It is because I don't have my own equipment and it is too expewnsive to jump without it if I go elsewhere. Having a family that likes to travel a lot I have had plenty of opps to take the dive. 75 canadian dollars to jump in the states in not appealing. What I might do is buy the rig and sell the main for a different one.
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Peter Rodrigues

Will the container hold a differnt one that is the size you need? Is the reserve the right size? Is the rig in good shape? Does the S&TA approve of your choice? Does the rig fit you? Is the rig up to date on its Saftey bulletins? Those all need to be answered before you ever lay a dime out for a rig.
I just used rental gear for 3 months till I found EXACTLY what I was looking for used. Call places and talk to them about thier used gear. Square1, SkyKat, any major dealer usually has used gear for sale too.

Take it slow. Don't buy something just because it's a good deal - do you know if the harness on that rig will fit your body? That's an important piece of information... Do you know if the reserve is the right size for your weight and experience? Will the container hold the size main canopy that is going to be right for your weight and experience?
Have you checked out the Gear section of this website? Click on the Gear link at the top of the page and read all the articles there - you'll find loads of good information on choosing which gear is going to be right for you. Talk to the riggers and instructors at the dz you've been jumping at - they can give you good recommendations on gear. Call some of the major gear dealers and ask questions - besides having new gear available most have used equipment too - and most also have experienced skydivers answering the phones and emails that can answer your questions.
Again, don't be in a hurry to buy a rig. Take your time and find out what's right for you before you plunk down any cash. In the long run that will end up saving you money...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?