Emmie

Cruelty to animals

Well like Jessica said if the average American would cut back on the amount of consumption of 1 meal a day of meat, the demand would be cut back significantly. Personally I only eat about 3-4 meals a week that have meat in them, and then it's not red meat. We all can do something, but until they can make supplements that are in high enough quantities that they can actually sustain us the majority of people will eat animals. Still even then there are things we can all do to cut back, like eating more pasta and rice. There are lots of soy products out there to replace milk, heck my dog get soy ice cream. When I was in gymnastics we would snack on soy beans to keep our protein levels up.
The only real difference about the slaves vs. animals is that they are humans they look human, and that is easy to fight for. Animals well look like animals, and even wild populations of animals need to be kept in check for their own good, because unfortunately we have already killed off most of their natural predators. I hate to say it, but we took over Mother Nature’s job along time ago. :(
I think we are on the same side of the fence, just different perspectives, and a lot has to do with the cultures we grew up in. I think what my family does on their farms is ok, what the people in farm mills and puppy mills isn't ok. Unfortunately also I can't argue against animal research, I may not like it, but it is what has helped my Mom stay alive these last few years so I feel hypocritical when I argue against it. Sometimes though you have to fight the small battles first, like with the person who killed the dog(s). Get him convicted, get the sentence to something that is more than a slap on the wrist. Set precidences, then take those to the next level, to puppy mills set more precidences, then work your way up to farm mills which is the big war.
You think what you are doing is great wish I could, but I can't, so I personally try to work on the small fights.

skycat,

if the average American would cut back on the amount of consumption of 1 meal a day of meat, the demand would be cut back significantly. Personally I only eat about 3-4 meals a week that have meat in them, and then it's not red meat.

Do BOOBIES count as red meat? And if so, do I get credit for not swallowing? (This is my pathetic attempt to inject humor into this thread.) And if I fly my body down to "heaven" and still not swallow (human females only Clay..not sheep or dudes), does this mean that I fall into the category of a "vegetarian"???
TripleF

"If you have something vital and it's sincere, you can communicate." Butch Trucks

I forget where I read it, but a very large number of violent criminals had a previous history of being cruel to animals.

Very true ... anytime a kid is cruel with animals, it is an indicator of future violence toward humans...

as shown by my earlier post ... I'm an animal lover, and believe in treating them with due respect ... dogs who live at my house are more family member than pet, but I also eat meat. As someone mentioned above, to me ... some are raised as food, and I freely admit that I enjoy the meat. I DO hunt some still, and eat what I kill. As for those who refuse to eat meat because they feel it is cruely to animals ... ya'll just be glad you didn't live in this country 200 years ago! I'm willing to bet that then, you'd have been more than happy to see that rabbit, squirrel, or whatever ... that daddy brought home to have for dinner. Thanks to our "advancements" our society now CAN debate these things, instead of spending the time out scrounging our next meals.
As for whoever it was that brought up killing people vs. animals ... luckily, I missed the draft by about 2 months, so didn't have to visit Nam and find out. But I am a supporter of capital punishment, since I don't feel like taxpayers should have to pay for keeping someone alive the rest of their life just because they killed someone. I only wish there was a way to be sure our courts get ONLY the right people.

This is friggin hilarious, the world has come to the point where it is easier for people to kill humans than other animals.

I work in a tv newsroom, and I find it strange that we can have stories about people getting murdered, kids going hungry, criminals getting off easy, but when we run a storyaboutr an abused animal, people go crazy! The dumb animals get more sympathy than the humans! Tonite the top story on our newscast - the most important "you need to know" story, the one that leads the show -- was about the SPCA seizing a freakin' dog from allegedly abusive owners...
Something is really wrong with us when animals come before people. Don't get me wrong - I have pets, too... a big dog and 2 cats, but animals are just that - animals. For cryin' out loud -- we EAT animals!
I think a MUCH bigger problem is cutting down forests in South America so we can grow food for animals that we intend to kill for human consumption. Maybe if we stop eating all those fast food burgers, the lungs of the planet (Amazon rainforest) wouldn't be clear-cut... let's grow food for us to eat, not for animals that we are eventually gonna barbacue...

The SPCA can seize animals?

In Canada, yes. Except it's usually called the Humane Society, but it's the same thing as the SPCA in the US.
Iflyme lives in British Columbia.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Can only speak for SURE for myself, but I imagine most of the folks who posted on this thread are just as outraged by some of the crimes committed against people, and the planet ... but that wasn't what this thread originated as being about ...

I am joining this post pretty late it seems but it is still worth noting that in every case where an animal is involved people view as children or babies which is why they get so much sympathy when we see them abused. Ask yourself how mush sympathy you have for the animal who attacks a child and gets put to sleep or storm on to a soccer field and attacks it players. You'll probably find that we are very judge mental and will take the side of the victim. I hate the fact that animals are easy targets and that they so often become them.
Blue Skies
Peter Rodrigues

I just got home, and I see my post got quite a responce. So let me begin by saying that the reason for my outrage was the cruelty of the act. I try to cut meat out of my diet, but I'm by no means a vegetarian. I realize that the hamburger I ate today used to be a big brown eyed cow. It's sad, but its part of life. However, the reason that that cow died was because it served a purpose in feeding others. It wasn't killed out of cruelty. Noone slowly tortured it to death. It suffered when it died, but its suffering was minimized. It's not a perfect answer, but we don't live in a perfect world. That doesn't mean we should try to improve it.
I am not saying that human life is less important than that of an animal, but I do believe that there are some people out there that are simply taking up space. Anyone who enjoys inflicting pain and suffering on animal or a human fits into that category. That dog was that poor man's friend. He loved it, probably the same way one loves a child, can you imagine what he felt when he saw it hanging of a tree? Or try to imagine yourself hanging of a branch slowly suffocating to death, trying to claw your way out of the noose. So yes I value human life, but the people that did this lost their humanity somewhere along the way, and so forfeited the privilage of being treated like ones. So fuck em, if I had it my way I would be dropping them out of a plane without a parachute.

Iflyme,

For cryin' out loud -- we EAT animals!

LOL!!! I eat pus - well, you get the point...lol. And some of them cry out loud, too..in fact, SCREAM out loud..lol.
Now, what was this thread about?? Hey, I got CRS syndrome...lol.
TripleF
"If you have something vital and it's sincere, you can communicate." Butch Trucks

"As for those who refuse to eat meat because they feel it is cruely to animals ... ya'll just be glad you didn't live in this country 200 years ago! I'm willing to bet that then, you'd have been more than happy to see that rabbit, squirrel, or whatever ... that daddy brought home to have for dinner. Thanks to our "advancements" our society now CAN debate these things, instead of spending the time out scrounging our next meals."
I am glad. I'm glad we're now in a better position to evaluate how we treat animals. It's good to be part of an evolving society :).
....we can let this die now!....