Magistr8

Thinking of getting a Tony

The most important thing when deciding on a suit (IMHO) is proper fit and quality construction. Most companies make good suits but getting one that fits you well is the most important (and hardest part of the process). I try to only order a custom suit if I can get measured by the company (or person) that's going to build the thing, usually at a boogie or on vacation. If you have a dealer that sells alot of suits from one company they are likely to have a good grasp on getting the right measurements also. But if you get it wrong it means sending it back and waiting even longer while it's altered. I have a space suit and it seems to be holding up well. I had problems with the leg closures at first (the don't do that style anymore) and Tony fixed it for free while I waited at his shop one rainy day. They will go out of their way to make it right! I also have a RW suit from Michigan Suits, it's the comp suit and is the most heavy duty, best built suit I've ever seen. Have a new freefly suit on order from FireFly and so far Sherry (one of the owners) has been awesome to work with. Should be getting the suit next week so we'll see how it works out.
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

Space suits are thin and light and designed for faster fall rates. typically really skinny dudes and gals (skinny like Mike Ortiz 6' like 150 #.
If you are a little heavier I would get a tony free fly or tie fly suit. they have more drag.
My first freefly suit did not have enough drag (I weigh 190-195), I wound up haveing to sell it and get one with more.
ask around.
ramon

Well I guess I should have mentioned that earlier on. I am 5'7" and am building up to 170 lbs with the a plan to work on relative work and FFing. I saw some of the suits on the webpage just looking at what they have and whoa it looks like there is one that will match my rig that I am going to be getting in the summer. Anyways I hope this helps with the suggestions.
P.S. I fall at a pretty decent rate I fall a little slower that the more experienced divers at the DZ but that should work out when I hit 170. When picking a suit, my body will obviously be changing in the comming months so what should I ask for when taking measurements picking a suit?
Whoever said comming down from a high was bad, never tried this.
Peter

plan to work on relative work and FFing

Plan to own two suits. What works for RW won't work for freeflying. I'd recommend getting a basic RW suit first; you can start freeflying in sweats and a long sleeve tshirt but you'll want grippers and a suit built for your body type for any kind of RW.

When picking a suit, my body will obviously be changing in the comming months so what should I ask for when taking measurements picking a suit?

That's a tough question. Do you know exactly where you'll be bulking up? Do you know what your measurements in those areas will be when you're "there"? You may want to contact the manufacturer of the suit you choose and ask them before you order anything. If you're floaty now, you don't want an RW suit with a lot of extra fabric in the arms, but you may need that extra room later...
You might consider looking for an inexpensive used suit that fits your body and how you fall/fly now and wait to order custom until you've got the body shape you're working towards.
pull & flare,
lisa

P.S. I fall at a pretty decent rate I fall a little slower that the more experienced divers at the DZ but that should work out when I hit 170. When picking a suit, my body will obviously be changing in the comming months so what should I ask for when taking measurements picking a suit?

Hrm, well, when ordered my RW suit 1/31 I was a skinny ass bastatrd, but with all the beer I've had to buy I put on 10 pounds, so I wish I had picked a slower suit, but YMMV.
--
~Captain Cutaway
I can disassemble a rig in less than 5 seconds...

Talking about bulking up, you have to put on a significant amount of weight to make very big difference in how you fit in stuff. If you're talking about putting on 20lbs of lean muscle, then you'll really have to worry. If you're only talking like 5lbs, then don't worry about it, give an inch extra in the chest, thighs and arms...
"Are they short-shorts?" T.B.

Plan to own two suits. What works for RW won't work for freeflying. I'd recommend getting a basic RW suit first; you can start freeflying in sweats and a long sleeve tshirt but you'll want grippers and a suit built for your body type for any kind of RW.

My first suit is a hybrid suit it has a slick front with grippers on the arms and legs but it also has ff legs instead of booties. So dont think you need to suits just to jump both styles.
IItywimwybmab?

If money isn't really a major objection look into the Tony Multi Suit. http://www.tonysuits.com The Multi-Suit is a two piece jacket and pants arrangement. It's possible to get one or two pair of pants (Freefly or 4-way), and 5 different jackets. Each jacket is designed around 4-Ways, Big Ways, Camera wings, Sit Fly or Head Down.

My first suit is a hybrid suit it has a slick front with grippers on the arms and legs but it also has ff legs instead of booties. So dont think you need to suits just to jump both styles.

RW jumpers are pretty specific on fall rates. If you're going to do any RW jumping at all, it's important that your jumpsuit has the right degree of baggyness or nylon to get you at the right fall rate.
Freeflying is less fall rate dependent. You're going to want a baggy suit so that the extra drag will help you maintain the assorted freefall positions.
Unless you happen to be lucky enough to have a body type that allows you to use one suit for both, I think you'll find it quite dificult to use one suit for both.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I'e had two Tony suits since I started jumping, a swoop suit, and a regular "tony suit" and I loved them both. Good quality etc etc, fit really good , just make sure you get measured properly eg (I left room in both for some winter insulation)
thier delivery time was good, they did "lose" my rush order on the second suit, but I was refunded te 40, and the suit still go thier in 6 weeks or so -kewl suits
.....there is no spoon
--------------------
Another place to play ;)