BobxMarley

Longevity of first rig?

grue

Hey buddy, I was in a similar situation to you. Being a big guy (with a long torso, to boot), my options were effectively zero for used gear that would fit comfortably. I bought an Infinity and had it built so I could tightly fit a 210 main, now it snugly fits a 190, and some day when I feel like downsizing to a 170 that won't be a problem either.

If you do want to get three canopy sizes out of your container and the manufacturer indicates it's ok, I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend buying a fairly well-used canopy for the biggest one. Several dz.com members can attest to what the packing was like on my 210 since it only had a couple dozen jumps on it when I bought it, and getting it into the bag was hellish at best.

I would mainly stick to grues advise. I bought a brandnew I4 that fits quite easily a 190 (ZPX) and let me downsize up to a 132sf. The reserve is a OP 176.

Put over 130 jumps on it and will keep it for a long time. Don't listen too much to the advise from others.
If you want a perfectly sized rig and don't have the average body type, a new rig is definitely worth considering!

lyosha

***Hey DZ. I'm just about to get my A license and I've started looking a gear seriously. I am okay with buying new, but I'm trying to plan for a rig that I can have for a long time. I noticed that Vector makes a V349 that will cover main sizes 190|170|150 if I fly PD Pulses. Which would put me at a 1:1 wing loading on the 190 and a 1:3 wing loading on the 150. I'm in no hurry to downsize or swoop, but I do want a rig that will allow me to progress. The only problem with Vector is of course the 9 month production time. [:/]

I haven't seen many other containers that state they can handle a 190|170|150 combination. I'd image they probably exist? The only other solution would to be fly rig that allows for a 190|170 and sell it when I'm ready to downsize.

Based upon my thoughts above, can you offer any recommendations or advice on buying my first rig? Also, since I'm not in a hurry to downsize, do you think a 1:1-1:3 range would last me for a long time?

I'm in the same boat as you and pretty much all containers are made in a size that will fit a Pulse 190, Sabre 2 170 and Sabre 2 150 (and some of the bulkier 140 canopies). Keep in mind a Pulse 190 has a smaller pack volume than a Sabre2 170. Look around a little harder. Off the top of my head Wings, Javelin, RI Curv, Aerodyne and Infinity have offerings on the market.

I've been told by people at my DZ to buy the first container used because you likely grow out of it in one active season or less, but I'm 6'5" and can't find jack in terms of used containers so for me it's starting to seem like more and more of a force majeour situation...

I was in the same boat Lyosha, I am 6'4'' and looking for quality used stuff with the parameters I need, is darn impossible. I saved my money and asked around and got some solid advice from very respected people who pointed me in the right direction. My only problem at the time was convincing the wife to let me spend the money I had saved on a brand new, custom fit rig. That was tough, but I did it anyways, no regrets!

Ok, your point makes more sense now. Without me being careful to check the pin tension and pack it such-and-such a way, and ensure the closing loop got shortened enough, etc, there was definitely room for problems. Definitely not a "here just swap this in. You'll be good!" situation.
Brian

Since no one else has mentioned this,... you tall folks.

You can have just about any used rig's webbing modified to fit you. Of course the cost,... and I would call the manufacturer first to find the latest price for this procedure,...

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

airtwardo

With all kinds of 2 - 5 year old stuff on the market with a couple hundred jumps or less...someone on a limited budget can safely go with used gear & have jump money left to be able to use it.

Just to add to this, even if you can afford to buy brand new, there's often another use for that money that'll add more value to your skydiving experience. As mentioned above, I'm still jumping that 2003 Wings container, though it's now my backup rig. It's not nearly as comfy as my Infinity that was custom built for me, but it fits me well enough that it's a safe fit (stays where it's supposed to, handles are easily accessible, etc.).

I'm in the position now (though I wasn't when I first started) that I could drop another 2K on a custom container, but I just can't justify that expense when I've got something perfectly good, especially for my backup rig! Instead, that $2000 will go towards team training expenses this year, including coaching, which will better support my current skydiving goals than will another shiny new piece of gear.

But then again, my philosophy on spending money in skydiving matches up pretty well with my philosophy on spending money in general. I'm driving a 13-year old car that's got some dings and scratches on it but still runs beautifully. It still hasn't hit 100K miles, which should give an indication of how little I drive. Sure, a new car would be all flashy and ding-free and have some shiny new bells and whistles, but they're just bells and whistles - this car's got all the same safety features that a new(er) car would have. So why on earth would I spend money on one when I can use that money for something much more productive? B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ChrisD

Since no one else has mentioned this,... you tall folks.

You can have just about any used rig's webbing modified to fit you. Of course the cost,... and I would call the manufacturer first to find the latest price for this procedure,...

C

Anyone know any prices off the top of their head?

lyosha

***Since no one else has mentioned this,... you tall folks.

C

Anyone know any prices off the top of their head?

Too many variables to give you a solid price - or even a ball park for that matter.

Depends on the rig and it's configuration, as well as who is doing the work.

I know of one person that had a rig with hip rings lengthened a few years ago...it was at 200.00 & change, but from what I understand that on the low end of average cost.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

lyosha

I've been told by people at my DZ to buy the first container used because you likely grow out of it in one active season or less, but I'm 6'5" and can't find jack in terms of used containers so for me it's starting to seem like more and more of a force majeour situation...

1. You can often get a new harness installed for ~$400.

2. The relevant measurement is torso length where the rule of thumb for main lift web length is height - inseam - 20 all measured in inches.

At 5'10 / 70" with a 30.5 inseam that gets me to 19.5" and I have custom rigs with 19 and 20" harness. With a 37" inseam you'd take the same 20" size.

I haven't seen many other containers that state they can handle a 190|170|150 combination. I'd image they probably exist?

Rigs with the closing loop on a main flap won't work. Rigs with it on the wall separating the reserve and main containers probably will if the big size is over-sized or at least snug which is the fashion. I have a couple of Reflex R335s officially built for 135 mains where a Lightning 143 can be made to fit (although you really wouldn't want to without a few hundred packjobs of practice), a 135 is tight, 120 good, and 105 soft but still allows a tight closing loop.