RedBull

What to do for a twisted knee?

So, we're launching a 7-way out of a King Air last weekend, and I'm rear-floating w/ 4 people out the door. Being the newbie that I am, I place my right foot in the aircraft as I always have w/ Otter exits. Once all four were out and I was in the wind, my torso got turned 90º outward while my foot, of course, stayed put.
The knee pain isn't too intense, but I'm hoping to treat it right so it'll heal quickly. Pain is below the kneecap, both sides. What should I be doing to/for it?
The exit went fine, BTW.

"Audentis Fortuna juvat." - Virgil

Try alternating heat and ice for the first 48 hours (sounds like you're at that mark...), and then supporting it with a brace, icing it when it hurts, an anti-inflammatory pain reliever as necessary, and then stay off it when possible. In the morning, try stretching it by flexing your knee as far as possible, and rotating it gently (just to get the blood flowing).
Other than that, try Jck Daniels or tequila.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

after the first 48 hrs. Heat wont do much good. Use ice 15 minutes at a time as tolerated. You can alternate Tylonol and motrin every 2 hrs as directed. The Tylonol will help with the pain the motrin will help with the inflamation. If the pain persist longer than a few days consult your doctor. Good luck

Maybe you should twist it back in place...
Ok seriously, the ice/heat alternations that were mentioned are good, and if you don't feel better in a day or two, head to the doctor to make sure some real damage wasn't done. Better safe then sorry.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

Ice for the first 24 hours then heat and I would stay off of it as much as possible. Take Advil or Motrin as they are an anti-inflamatory. Wrap it in a figure 8 with an ace wrap to discourage any other hyper flex or hyper extension movements for 3-4 days. If you do wrap it - have the knee slightly bent, not straight.
RICE is Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

Pain is below the kneecap, both sides.

This to me is odd. It is not your normal complaint, that is. I will try to find some data that makes sence for this pain. It could be you did something to the patella by turning your tib/fib, but that usually tears the medial and lateral collateral ligaments first. And with that you would be in some pain.
"RICE and anti-inflammatory drugs will, once again, ease pain and speed healing. Gentle massage and mild stretching exercises often make the knee feel better and mend quicker.
It's nice to know exactly what's going on, but in all instances, your job is not to figure out exactly what's wrong with a painful knee. Your job is to figure out how to deal with the pain and whether or not the pain should be evaluated by a physician."
The more a knee swells, and the more discolored it is, and the funnier it looks, the more it needs a doctor.
ps- are you saying that the pain is on both sides yet below the patella? Below the patella as in the front? If it hurts when you raise your toes up in the air, it sounds like shin splints.
Dude, you are weird - from a medical point of view. Now you have me interested..... I will go and try to find something.
Ann ~ www.AirAnn.com
Anyone want a Kitten?

I appreciate all the responses.

This to me is odd. It is not your normal complaint, that is.

I should have been more specific. Pain is below, not under, the patella -- at the top of the tibia. More on the inside than the outside.
"Audentis Fortuna juvat." - Virgil

I've had lots of knee injuries and it's always been ice, ice, ibuprofen (800 mg), ice, ice, elevation, ice, ice, compression, ice, ice, rest and did I mention ice?? Hopefully you didn't do any real damage and it will heal on it's own with those things. Did you feel a popping sensation at all? Does your knee feel instable or give out at all? If so, or if you don't see improvement in a few days, you should go get it checked out. Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious.
Blue Skies,
D

There you go... where you been Ty?
Popping, clicking and giving way are top 3 signs of ligament wrongness.
Likely you just strained/sprained something. However, if it doesnt get better soon, see a professional. I think Ty and I have similar experiences both in the office and on ourselves!
Ann ~ www.AirAnn.com
Anyone want a Kitten?

Ice is what I have been told also. You don't start on the hot and cold alternating until you are trying to strengthen and stretch (after the damage has healed).
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!