lippy

Airport security and a skydive rig

So I'm going back east for the first time in almost 2 years, and I wanna do some jumping back there. I'm just wondering if anybody has tried to get on a commercial flight with a rig lately, and how it went...I hate the thought of my Cypres being thrown around under the plane, so I'd like to take it carry-on if possible.
Also, anybody in here jump in N.S., Canada. I'm hitting Skydive Unlimited in Stewiake for a couple days, and it'd be cool to meet up with some DZ.comers out there.
'that's one case of beer I'm all too glad to buy'
Lippy

had no problems in february going cinci to texas. there were lots of us jumpers that went and i dont think anyone did. best bet is to try to put it in a bag that looks plain so. dont wear skydiving stuff. most dont even notice the cypres(kinda scary huh?)
have fun on your trip!
Blue Skies!
Mary

Same trip only a month later Cinci security nailed me and it was intersting... rig got wiped for explosives, hand patted the rig the whole deal. Took 20 minutes to clear security. Coming back though Houston I just walked right through with my rig and my laptop that had a second cypres in the bag. Cinci was freaked while Houston was'nt even watching the monitor.... Cinci was even looking at the closing pin necklace a bit weird. On the trip home I went from the DZ to the airport and walked on with a t-shirt, the rig and the second cypres and never even had to flash the cypres card....
Its all hit or miss I think.....
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

One thing I am wondering about is if they ask how the Cypres works. As I understand it, there is an explosive reaction that propels the cutter through the closing loop, and 'explosive' probably isn't the best word to use at an airport security counter. I think I'll have somebody come to the airport with me, and if my rig doesn't ride with me, it stays in Calgary.
'That's one case of beer I was more than glad to buy'
Roger

Just explain that it detects if you are going to low at to fast of a speed and it automatically opens your reserve. If they ask for more details, don't use the word explosive, cartridge, cutter, razor blade or any of the specifics. Just say it releases the closing loop. Dont explain how it works, just what it does. If they ask for more details.... I don't know.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

I had some questions about this too. I am going back east in a few weeks, although I am not taking my rig, but I am sure I will the next time.
What about putting the rig in something. Someone mentioned walking through security with a t-shirt, rig, etc... Was the rig in a carry-on suitcase or was it slung overy your shoulder ?
Would you pack your rig in a suitcase and have it checked ?
What if they wanted to open it ?? Would you ask them to pay for your repacking fee ??
I got lots of questions on this topic...

Would you pack your rig in a suitcase and have it checked

Hell no! They'd loose it, carryon only.

What if they wanted to open it ??

NO! The reserve is packed by a FAA certified rigger, FAA, as in one of their guys, there is no reason you should have to open it, unless of course your rigger packed a gun in there or something...:D
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

I've checked mine before. It was fine. I'll probably carry it on in the future though.
Haha...once I had all my weights in the gear bag, and when I picked it up off the conveyer belt there was a huge tag on it that said "HEAVY."
Taking nominations for new screen name.

My bf and I both carried our rigs through NY airport and also LA, over Xmas. This was fairly close behind September 11th so we though they might be fairly paranoid, however we got through with very little trouble. We both have Cypreses but no-one detected them. My rig got pulled up in NY and the girl asked me to 'Open this bag ma'am'...I told her it wasn't a bag, it was a parachute, and this obviously presented her with too much trouble ( ie it required some amount of brain power and initiative to deal with) so, after some lower-lip biting and brow-furrowing, we got waived through anyway....
The most hassle I got was for having mud on my booties...They thought I might give the whole of the USA mad cow disease or something....
I'd advise you to just play dumb and for God's sake don't mention the Cypres....There aren't many brain cells going around at customs, so rationalising with someone what it actually IS will probably end in tears....

Having the rig in a gear bag is a MUST. I treid to be as low profile as possible in Cinc (jacket, shorts, NOTHING that said I was a Skydiver) and I still got nailed. I was on a 7:15 am flight so no one was in a line at security. On my return I was running a bit late to get to security and just walked through. Try to time walking up to the gate to avoid the "Random" searches. Nothing would suck worse then having to undergo a second security stop there too.
I know a lot of people have good luck checking their rig in a hard shell case for transport. If you decide to carry it on, it MUST go in a gear bag (I like my Square1 Deluxe Gear bag ;)) to avoid freaking others on the plane. You might also want to tie a pull up cord arond the reserve ripcord to avoid accidently having it snaged on/by something.
I had to explain that the reserve was packed by an FAA official and as soon as I said that, they lost intrest in the reserve and got interested in the 3 rings. It seem like large chunks of metal made the MP watching nervious. As long as you calmly explain and answer any questions and treat the like HARDCORE WHUFFOS then you should have no problem if stoped. Have patience and your rig will be just fine as a carry on.

Here's a link that is probably worth carrying a copy with you.
http://www.pia.com/SSK/cypres/dot_pr_082500.pdf
Southwest used to ban Cypreses until this ruling. I don't know if they have changed their policy yet.
The "without cartridge" listed on the permitted list I believe refers to a CO2 or other compressed gas cartridge, probably refering to a life vest. Heed the advice above, don't call it an explosive, it opens the reserve, release the loop, I don't know. Remember to remove any hook knives.

I flew from Charleston to austin and carried my rig in an overnight bag. I also had a laptop. They just xrayed the rig but it took about 20 minutes to get the laptop through. They didn't even complain about the hook knife on the leg strap. (Wouldn't that show up as a big razor blade on xray?)

Yeah, you could take over an entire aircraft with a hook knife...

You know, a couple years ago when I flew to DC from Dallas, I had my Spyderco Endura (combat folder, 3.5" full serrated blade) in my pocket, no body said a word to me, not even when I went to the different monuments (metal detectors, guards, etc), until we went into the FBI building and all they said is that I might not want to carry that, since its over DC's limit. *shrug* I guess when you pay low wages, you get low wage workers, huh?
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly